Fun ways to announce to family? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-12-2004, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know of any? We'll be driving to my parents for a short visit in a couple weeks and want to do something fun (but not too hard to figure out )
#2 of 11 Old 10-12-2004, 11:31 PM

No, but I'd like to hear some ideas! Last time we just ended up calling them and telling them- they were SO thrilled, so actually it was pretty nice.
#3 of 11 Old 10-13-2004, 08:50 AM

I ordered T-shirts from www.granolathreads.com
They are for my girls and both say: I'm a big sister. I figure they can wear them up to the hospital in June to visit me.
When we finally decide to tell the family, I'm going to dress them up in these and see who figures it out first.

In the past we've either had family over or gone out to dinner with them and showed them the u/s picture.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#4 of 11 Old 10-13-2004, 10:20 AM

I was thinking of doing that too Now I know where to get a big brother t-shirt. My mom is coming to visit in two weeks so I was thinking of putting Jack in a big brother t-shirt when we pick her up from the airport.
#5 of 11 Old 10-13-2004, 10:23 AM

I gave my mother a "Grandmother's Journal" that I picked up in Hallmark. She got it right away.

Gave my mother in law the same thing, and then had to show her my + pg test, because she thought it was for her OTHER grandchild (her daughter's also pregnant :LOL)

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#6 of 11 Old 10-13-2004, 10:45 AM

I got this idea off the internet somewhere, but I don't remember where, so I can't give credit.

My husband and I went to lunch with parents & in-laws. We gave the mom's a gift (out of the blue) wrapped in flowery paper (to not give it away before hand). We bought photo frames from target that were ceramic with "baby" written on the bottom and little baby stuff on the edges (carriage, bottle {yuck, but they got the idea} & toys). I printed "Actual Photo To Follow November 2004" on plain paper and put it in the frame. This was a big surprise for everyone! I thought it went over well. They both have them on their desks at work now, with the text paper still in it and everything.

Good Luck!
#7 of 11 Old 10-13-2004, 02:11 PM

I love the shirt idea - we are far from all family and friends so I wanted to do something via email for everyone but our immediate family. We will probably end up telling them on the phone.

Someone gave me the idea to make a sign that says "I am going to be a big brother" and have Maxi hold it for a picture then emailing the picture to everyone. But I like the idea of doing the same thing with him in a shirt. I might do that.
#8 of 11 Old 10-14-2004, 08:32 PM

What we did with Tristan was wait till our 9 week appt where we heard the heartbeat. I brought in a micro cassette recorder and recorded it, then put it on the computer via the microphone. I sent a big email and attached the file. It was cool!
This time I don't know!! I will be having an u/s at about 6 weeks to rule out a blighted ovum so I am hoping to take home a picture to scan and email to immediate family. Keeping it a secret for 2 plus weeks will be hard.
Then at about 10 weeks or so we'll think about telling the rest of the family.
Take care,
Karen
#9 of 11 Old 10-15-2004, 05:03 PM

We live out of state from our family and friends, so we made a shirt (off our computer using transfer paper) and made it look like a movie preview. On the front it said...
Coming Soon
Big Brother in Training
Produced by Dave and Becky
and on the back

Coming to a hospital in Louisville
June 2005

We took pics of him wearing it and e mailed it out to everyone. This way noone was told first or last. Now we are having him wear the shirt to places to tell people here where we live...ex. church on Sunday, play dates etc.
#10 of 11 Old 10-15-2004, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

I love these creative announcement ideas. I think I've got a good one..I found these cute tank tops that say "Due in June" (or whatever month you would like) at babystyle.com and I'm going to wear it when we see my parents.

http://www.babystyle.com/common/dPro...leoutlet&frm=2

I can't wait!!!
#11 of 11 Old 10-15-2004, 09:35 PM

"tank comes in one size and fits up to size 10" lmao! good luck selling those. i guess it would be good for the many pregnant mamas that can fit in a size 10 shirt throughout their pregnancy. i won't be getting one.

aja

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page