Overweight? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-26-2004, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else here overweight? How are you planning on coping with being pregnant? I am about 5'7 and almost 180 lbs and NOT happy about it. It's hard to diet when bfing, though, so I never lost the weight after Maddie was born 18 months ago. Now, being pregnant again, and starting out 20 lbs heavier than I did last time, I'm really scared. When I weighed 160, I was miserable with my weight and knew I needed to lose at least 20 lbs to look healthy. Now at my current weight, I'm at least 40 lbs overweight and of course I need to gain, but how much? I've heard that some overweight people don't gain anything during pregnancy and end up weighing less than when they started. Anyone know if that is safe? Obviously it wouldn't be safe for someone already at a healthy weight, but what about for me? Not that I'll try to diet or anything, but I'll bet if I became really aware of my eating and only ate healthy foods and cut out the bad stuff, I'd begin to lose naturally, pregnant or not.

So anyone else have a problem with this? Shall we form a little support group and share our frustrations and challenges?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2004, 12:31 PM

I went on an antidepressant before getting pregnant with my son and gained 30 lbs. So I was definitely overweight- I then had complications and ended up gaining an additional 50 lbs.
I lost most of the 50 lbs. the first week after having DS, but I've only lost 10-15 of the original 30 I put on. And to be honest, I was probably 10 lbs. heavier than I should've been before I put the 30 on
This has been bothering me- a small part of the reason that I waited to get pregnant with #2 was so that I could lose as much weight as possible (I had gestational diabetes with DS). I'm feeling very self conscious about everything I put into my mouth and hoping to gain no more than 25 this pregnancy.
After having my son I swore that I would never *diet* again. I have changed my eating habits and exercise 5-7 days a week now.
I definitely know how you feel Kathy. I am just going to continue to eat the way I have been eating, but I won't skip meals sometimes like I did before if I didn't feel hungry (that doesn't seem like much of a problem though, because my stomach seems to be on a schedule now- 3 x's a day I get nauseous-hungry and I have to eat right then).
My big thing is going to forcing myself to only eat portions and not to overeat.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

That is wonderful that you are exercising so much! I don't advocate "dieting", but I'll bet if I just change my eating habits to be healthier, I'll lose weight. I have mixed feelings about that during pregnancy, though. I know I shouldn't be losing weight during pregnancy, but I also know that if I begin to eat only healthy foods, then there is no way I cannot lose weight. I don't know what to think of that. Should I be maintaining my current weight? I'm so confused.

I have a real problem with portion control, too and sweets. If they are in the house, I eat'em. Not good.

What kinds of exercises do you do? I was thinking of doing some abdominal exercises, but I've heard that in pregnancy, you shouldn't do that. My belly is so flabby right now and I'd like to do a little something to help it, but not if it's not good during pregnancy. Anyone know about this? I guess I can do more research. I do try to walk a couple of times a week, but not enough. I need to get out there today.

I hate feeling so fat and unattractive and I'm not even 8 weeks pg yet. My belly does look bigger, but it's definitely NOT because of the pregnancy, lol!
Old 10-26-2004, 12:49 PM

Personally I think that if you are just going to change your eating habits, that's a good thing. Even if you lose weight. I mean, I don't know the repercussions if any, but it's not like you're going to starve yourself, kwim? Maybe you could talk to your doctor or get a referral to see a nutritionist?
Thanks, I started exercising in February. It helps because I exercise with my parents- it's so much easier and I'm more motivated. If I had to do it myself I know that I would only do it 1-2 x's a week.
We started out doing 'Walk Away the Pounds' (the 2 mile tape). Then we worked out way to the 3 mile and then the 4 mile. We also do some jazzercise cd's- we usually alternate between them. I will probably stay away from the jazzercise during this pregnancy because it's a lot of bouncing around, but the walking tapes are perfect. You use light weights or a stretchy band for part of it too.
Ditto on the feeling fat and unattractive. I look and feel like my period is overdue- nice and bloated!
Old 10-26-2004, 01:43 PM

I started my first pregnancy rather overweight and gained 50 pounds -- I had pregnancy-induced hypertension at the end and I'm sure part of it was due to that. I hated getting all swelled up like that.

I've lost a good bit of weight since ds was born since he has a number of food allergies/sensitivities to things I love and crave -- esp. wheat and dairy. Since you don't strictly need either one of these food groups, you can try eating more protein, fruits and vegetables -- it's very healthy and really what you need, and you don't really need to worry about eating too much either. Also, it does fill you up.

That being said I am craving grain-based carbs as I'm quite hungry but am trying to keep them to a minimum and instead eat healthier, filling things like bananas, rice cakes with peanut butter, trail mix, etc.

Also, I remember reading that if you start overweight you're only supposed to gain about 15 pounds, instead of 25-30. Don't know about that! Good luck!
Old 10-26-2004, 01:49 PM

I'm 5'8 and over 250.

I lost a pound by the end of the pregnancy and had a 9pound baby. I just tried to eat healthier, and I exercised to Neena and Veena Bidashis Bellydance Moves tape. It was low impact and easy on my body.
I was back in my old jeans 1 week after delivery.

The hard part of the whole deal is eating healthy AFTER the baby comes. Thats when I'm starting to gain the weight....
Old 10-26-2004, 01:55 PM

If you're right Meli65, I'll be a happy camper
I guess I'll plan on trying to gain no more than 15-20!
Old 10-26-2004, 02:14 PM

I am also a bit more overweight than I would like. I have set the personal goal of a 20-25 weight gain with this pregnancy. That is going to mean avoiding the toaster strudels this time around. :LOL
Old 10-26-2004, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

I'll bet my 19 month old would LOVE to watch me bellydance! She cracks up when we act silly, so she'd probably have a ball doing the tapes with me! Thanks for the tip, Katie, I think I'll have to get that for myself. DH probably wouldn't mind so much either, lol!

I think that I'm just going to try to eat healthy and maybe ask the dr. for a referral to a nutritionist. In fact, a friend of mine is a nutritionist, maybe she could point me in the right direction.

So far, I haven't gained anything, but that's not such an accomplishment at only 8 weeks. With Madelyn, at one point, I had gained like 14 lbs in one month! I remember crying the whole way home from that office visit. That was a horrible day.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:30 PM

My mom was overweight with me and didn't gain any weight during her pregancy. I'm the smartest one out of all of her kids (my sisters would agree) so it didn't seem to hurt me any.
You just need to make good choices about what you eat. Each mouthful is important. So pick the banana over the cookie. Get fiber so as to feel full.
You probably don't need to gain much weight at all during this pregnancy since you are starting out heavier. Do your best and you'll be fine!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 10-27-2004, 12:40 AM

I'm overweight as well, swore I wasn't going to go through another pg that way, but here I am.

I gained 40lbs with both my boys and with both of them had lost it when I went for my 6 week check up. My oldest was 10lbs 3oz and I lost 20lbs when I left the hospital with him. My youngest was only 9lbs 3 oz, but I still lost all my pg weight within 6 weeks.

I'm going to attempt not to gain as much with this pg, however, I'm not going to drive myself crazy if I do. I refuse to be bothered by my scale this time I tried to not gain as much with my second and drove myself nuts at every appt when I'd see the scale and the weight still packing on.

The bellydancing sounds like a blast, my boys would be in hysterics I'm sure!
Old 10-27-2004, 01:08 AM

with the way i've been eating (can't stand fatty or sweet foods, pooey) i have been losing weight. my only concern is all the toxins stored in your fat gets released into your body when you lose fat. i'm over 200, but i am also close to 6 feet tall. i am overweight, but in good shape (eat well, get plenty of excercise, etc). i hope to not gain much weight, but as long as i continue to eat healthy i am not gonna sweat it at all.

aja

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
Old 10-27-2004, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja-belly
with the way i've been eating (can't stand fatty or sweet foods, pooey) i have been losing weight. my only concern is all the toxins stored in your fat gets released into your body when you lose fat. i'm over 200, but i am also close to 6 feet tall. i am overweight, but in good shape (eat well, get plenty of excercise, etc). i hope to not gain much weight, but as long as i continue to eat healthy i am not gonna sweat it at all.

aja

That's my concern- the toxins. Basically that is why I didn't lose a ton of weight after Maddie. Her ped told me to wait til she is finished nursing and she is still nursing and by the time I stop nursing this new baby, it could be 4 years from now! Oh my, I guess I'll do my best to eat healthy foods and drink lots of water and I'll let nature take it's course!
Old 10-27-2004, 03:26 PM

Yep, I'm overweight. By quite a bit. After I lost the last baby all I did was eat.. real smart eh?? Anyhow, with my son (whos now 4) The day of my last prenatal I weighed 2 lbs over what I started. So after I had him I was under what I weighed. It was FINE with the OB since I was overweight. My goal is 15 lbs this time to gain, or LESS, but hopefully nothing over. I've drastically changed my eating habits, so I think the weight will just come off easily. Here's hoping!

User Tag List