weekly thread: Dec 6-12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2004, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are we all a day behind or what? DH and DD1 had the stomach flu Sunday night and Monday. I was exhausted yesterday and went to bed early. Hopefully they feel better today. They slept all night so that's a good sign. That makes for a lot of laundry when you have poor aim! DD1 decided she doesn't like having diarrhea.
Otherwise, I was laying in bed last night trying to fall asleep and tried telling the baby to let me feel her move. I let my active imagination talk myself into that I did feel something. I saw a friend yesterday who is due in late January and from across the room you could see her shirt moving from all that activity. That is just so amazing.

Michelle

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2004, 11:20 AM

Sorry to hear that your family was sick Michelle, we had to deal with that while driving home to AL from PA after Thanksgiving. Not fun...

I can't wait to feel this babe move. I'm so overweight this time that I dont' look pregnant to anyone on the outside, but I am definitely not able to wear my regular pants. A friend is mailing me a huge package with my old maternity clothes that she borrowed, new maternity clothes that I'm buying from her, a big lot of Kissaluvs 0s and all of my books that I let her borrow when she first got pregnant. Her baby is 5 weeks old and I know I shouldn't be bugging her to get these things out, but I need clothes, lol! I think I have one pair of pants that fits.

The good thing is I haven't gained a pound yet, so while I'm bigger, I dont' have to worry that I gained too much. Last time by this point I think I had gained 8 lbs or so.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:30 AM

I'm kind of sad this morning. I was supposed to see my MW in 30 minutes (and hopefully hear the hearbeat now I'm 14 weeks today) but she's at a birth so the appointment is posponed.

DH and I finally made a decision about his job situation and we're moving back home to Nashville where he's going to start his own business. Our house went on the market last night. A ton of realtors are coming this morning, and I'm sure we'll have some showings soon. DH and I worked like dogs all day yesterday on the house, and there is so much more to do (like clean 1/3 of our stuff out of all the closets). I'm just nervous about keeping the house clean and not smelling like dog, having to leave the house (with the dog) for showings, not to mention that we really need the house to sell soon so we can move.

I'm also really sad about finding a new MW and am worried there won't be one as good as my current one.

I wish I had a heartbeat sound to cheer me up today.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:03 PM

removed
Old 12-07-2004, 02:48 PM

I have been telling my 3.5 yr old that I am growing a baby in my belly. Once in a while he'll ask, "Do you have a baby in your belly?" Yes. "Do I have a baby in my belly??" No. "Right mom. Because you DON"T EAT BABIES!" He is very adament about that too. I'm not sure what he thinks about my baby but he's never outright asked if I ate a baby. :LOL I'm sure he doesn't get that the baby in my belly will someday be a real, live baby here in our home. Any ideas for good books or even websites? I was looking at one one day with pics of the fetus/baby at various stages and he really seemed to like that.

Okay, anyway, feeling okay. Still super tired and making myself do something physical everyday. That's hard. My bum likes the sofa cushions.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:33 PM

Davina,

Dr. Sears has a wonderful book for older siblings called What Baby Needs. It has pics of the mom bfing and both parents wearing the baby in the sling. It even shows pics of the baby cosleeping. It's a wonderful book!

Jennie- you will no doubt find a good midwife in TN. I live in AL and many women go to TN to deliver their babies there because homebirth is illegal here in AL. It is legal to deliver with a midwife in TN, so I know that no matter where you are planning on having your baby you will find a good midwife. The really cool thing is that you will not be so far from The Farm- maybe like an hour away?, where Ina May Gaskin has done so much groundbreaking work in midwifery. I'd kill to deliver there but it's too far for me. People come from all over to deliver their babies at the Farm and many many midwives study there. Here is a link: http://www.thefarm.org/midwives/index.html I'm so jealous you will be living close enough to deliver there.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:44 PM

It would be SO COOL to have a baby at The Farm!

I wore maternity pants for the first time today -- I bought 'em at Target ($20) and it felt so good.

I have my first MW appointment tomorrow -- she said to plan to be there for two hours. My mom was like, "what are you going to do for two hours?" I'm not entirely sure.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:04 PM

I had my 2nd Dr's appointment today and we couldn't hear the heartbeat on the doppler, but could here movement. So, my Dr. got out the ultrasound for a quick peek and it was really amazing. We could see everything really clearly and the little feet were kicking and the arms were moving around. We got a couple of pictures and I keep looking at them

I also only have a few pairs of pants that fit. I was digging through all my old maternity clothes this morning and they are all huge!! I didn't buy anything last time until I was around 20 weeks and I had gained a bunch of weight. I have no idea what I'll wear for the next several weeks. I have a hard time buying pants because I need longs or at least a 34 inch inseam. I think I might be stuck wearing skirts to work.

My two year old also keeps saying he has a baby in his tummy. One morning he woke up and was insistent that I show him the baby in my tummy:LOL
Old 12-07-2004, 10:24 PM

Conversations with my 26 mth old about the baby go like this:

Mehat's in Mommy's tummy?

dd: A baby!

Me: What's the baby doing?

dd: Playing with toys! :LOL

I honestly don't think she has a clue, but I'll keep talking about it and reading books about babies.

I am feeling fine, better than in the first trimester. M/s is about gone, and I am too fat already- about 8 lbs heavier than I was with dd at this stage. But I started off heavier than I was with her.

My tight pants still fit, but don't feel good, so its wide waisted ones for me.

Happy to hear that you all seem to be doing well. Welcome to the Second Trimester, where we will all be soon.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:49 PM

Last night I woke up hungry! Arghh!

I'm on the eating right bandwagon (mostly) and I shouldn't be hungry. It's not like I puked for 3 months and need to make up for lost time. I had an easy first trimester.

I am craving carbs. Trying to eat only whole grains.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
Old 12-08-2004, 03:35 PM

I just called DH at home and asked him to dig out my box of maternity clothes and toss them in the wash. This will be my LAST day in regular pants. I pulled out a pair of maternity jeans a week or so ago, and they were SO comfy. My regular pants just don't do up anymore. And my regular shirts are getting tight enough that they're making me self-consious (I'm at the point where I don't really look pregnant, I just look like I've been eating a tad too much...even though I haven't gained more than a pound or two. :P).

DH is already BEGGING to be a SAHD. He's been spending a lot of time at home with our 17 month old, as he's currently in university, and now that it's exam time, he only has class a couple of hours a week. He LOVES staying home with her. He has 2 more years of school left, but he really wants to stay home with the kids until they're in school full-time. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I would have loved to stay home, but I know that he is 100x more patient than me, and would probably be the best one to be at home with 2 toddlers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can find a job that pays well enough to support our family, so that he's able to stay home. I think it's important to have one of us there, at least until they're in school.

DH's brother kind of sort of moved in with us last week. I really have no clue what's going on, to be honest. I know that he moved out of his apartment so that he could save money to move to the other side of the country. His ex left him, and took their 3 year old daughter up there, and he's desperate to move up and be close to her again. He misses his little girl. I have no idea how long he plans on staying with us. It makes me nervous to have someone living with us. Last time I was pregnant, we rented out our basement to one of DH's friends, and it was HORRIBLE! I guess being pregnant made me more hormonal and "touchier" than usual. I would get so angry at ANYTHING he would do. And it didn't help that he refused to pay for rent, or utilities, yet ran up huge electricity and phone bills....and just took off. I'm very leary of having people live with us now. :P So far, having him here is working out ok. He keeps bringing me "craving food", so I can't complain.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:54 PM

i am in maternity pants all the time now. i feel like i could wear my regulat shirts forever though. i've had to buy shirts big enough to cover my huge boobies for awhile, so fitting a pregnant belly in there is no issue. lol

i second the recommendation of the sears kida book what baby needs. we bought it for a couple different friend's kids when they were expecting.

nikki - i know exactly what you men about your bil staying there. my brother is about to be staying with us for the month of christmas break where the dorms ar closed. i'm nervous about it. he stayed with us this summer while i was on fertility meds, and i'm suprised he's willing to come back. he lives walking distance right now though, and during the first trimester he kept comming over to wash the dishes since they made me sick, so he really is a sweetie. i just hate having to share the little space we have. growl.

it will be so nice to get our house in a couple month with a GUEST ROOM so when people do stay over they aren't hanging out on our couch all the time.

aja

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
Old 12-09-2004, 12:20 AM

We have a roommate too -- he moved in in September and was there (or at work, actually) for the conception

It's worked out mostly fine -- he's my friend, and lives upstairs in our guest room. We stay mostly on the ground floor. He also helped fix up our basement, and he and dh are down there now being manly and watching "A Clockwork Orange." It's kind of nice having an extra adult around to hang out with. Still, all the little annoyances of living with someone still apply. My heart goes out to you gals!

Heard the heartbeat today -- it took me by surprise and was really lovely. Sat in the midwife's living room and wept -- I've been having a hard time lately and she was wonderful. I am hoping that the liquid chlorophyll and fish oil tablets she suggested give me a little more energy.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:58 AM

Finally I have an appt with my midwife!
I'm seeing her on the 22nd. It seems so far away, yet Christmas always comes quickly so hopefully I'll get to that day and everything will be good.
I'm still having a hard time believing this pregnancy. I mean I believe it but I don't believe I'll ever grow a belly lol! I have next to nothing and I'm 11 weeks. However, in my pics with my son, at 11 weeks I look the same as I do now. By week 14 it was noticable so I guess things will start happening soon. I still feel like I'm lying when I say I'm pregnant.
I think I'm also going to dare to say that the extreme fatigue is lifting. It's not as bad as it was a week ago so that's nice. In a way I kind of want it; with my husband home it's nice to be able to nap. I guess I can still do that lol
I also rented a doppler that I got last week. It's really tough to find the heartbeat for me!!! I know with my other pregnancies at 9 weeks it was there loud and clear but this tot seems to be hiding. Last time I found it, it was waaaay to the side and down low. Each time though, almost on top of where I was hearing my heartbeat. I don't know if the angle is just weird to be doing it yourself or what, but it's just not easy to find. I guess with each week it will be easier although I don't really plan on keeping it long. I impulsively rented it because I wanted more proof and I honestly kind of don't like not seeing someone; I wish the midwife saw ya sooner even though there's nothing she could really DO. I guess it makes things more official. And that's just me being used to the medical model. It's hard to make myself believe that even though this isn't the traditional route it's still REAL. Again, where's the belly? I think things will change when that arrives.
Welp. Wife Swap is coming on. Gotta go
Karen
Old 12-09-2004, 01:15 AM

My appointment was rescheduled for this afternoon, and my MW found the heartbeat very easily (woosh woosh woosh). I was kind of expecting it to take a while to find, but that wasn't the case. I'm going to be really sad to leave her care, because she makes me feel good and has such a wonderful, calming presence.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:46 AM

I peed myself in bed last night
Kept having dreams about peeing- first I had a penis and I was peeing into a urinal (wtf?) and then I was a girl again and I sat down in a crowded store to pee while talking to my sisters and as I started peeing in my dream, I woke up and realized I'd peed myself! I jumped up and ran into the bathroom- luckily when I woke up I must have stopped peeing because there wasn't too much- just enough to leak through my underwear and pajama bottoms, but since I was laying on my side, it didn't get on the bed :LOL
Lovely.
My next appt. isn't until Dec. 20th.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:07 PM

:LOL Lorrie, I've come close a few times. I'll be dreaming about this wonderful pee, like I had to go SOOO bad and finally found a clean bathroom or something and wake up and realize I need to RUN to get to the toilet on time.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:41 PM

i've had those dreams too. and wake up having to go so bad. the only times, i've even kinda wet myself is when i really have to go and i sneeze.

the baby has moved up some now though and i don't have to pee nearly as often. i'm starting week 15 today. just thought i would share.

aja

Old 12-09-2004, 03:01 PM

That's the funny thing Aja, I'll be 13 weeks on Saturday and my getting up in the middle of the night to pee has majorly slowed (I get up at 4:15 in the morning). Twice this week I actually didn't get up at all. That's why I was so surprised!
TwoUglyDucks
Old 12-09-2004, 04:09 PM

This morning I felt my baby move for the first time

I was sleeping, then repositioned in a way that I was curled up in the chair with my belly mushed, and I couldn't stay like that long cause it was hurting my belly. So I sat up for a little while, then I felt a soft rolly-bump movement, in my lower left belly! It was a totally foreign feeling so I don't think it could've been anything but the babe!

I was thrilled. I was at my husband's workplace so I got to go tell him right away. What an exciting day!
Old 12-09-2004, 05:20 PM

Aaaargh. m/s went awat at week 10 and now, at week 12, is back with a vengeance. the only think edible in the whole world is dried pineapple. and sometimes goat cheese. and i'm starving. i teach yoga daily, so even when i rest the rest of the day i am burning lots of calories. i crave things but by the time i cook them they are totally inedible and unappealing. does this mean it's a girl? any ideas? ginger doesn't really help.
i thought the illness would be gone by now!
Old 12-10-2004, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Starmom: some women try baked potatoes with just a bit of butter. Something about the carbohydrates.

Nothing new here. I need to get showered up after my treadmill time this morning so I can get to work.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 12-10-2004, 04:59 PM

starmom, my morning sickness is not gone completely either. I had a good week around week 10 and thought that was it but it's been back since then off and on--I have a really sensitive gag reflex, too, which is not fun. If I cough I have to really fight off the dry heaves. What fun!

almostfey, congrats on feeling movement! Now that you know what it feels like you can be on the lookout for it. It's the BEST.

I'm excited because I bought two cute maternity tops yesterday. My maternity clothes from the past are either out of style, falling apart, or I just can't stand the sight of them. Anyone else have sensory issues when it comes to clothes? I just cannot stand to wear anything uncomfortable while pregnant. Anything that itches, or is too tight, or just fits wrong is out. It has to be cotton-soft and super comfy or I can't wear it.

I have another appt this morning to check my cervix but I'm not sure I want anyone poking around in there--the bleeding is completely gone and I've been feeling baby move so I think I might just refuse it..

We're off to get our tree tomorrow and hopefully I'll have the energy to help decorate it. We'll probably have to only decorate the top half because my 2 yo will try to pull off all the decorations :LOL makes for an interesting looking tree
Old 12-10-2004, 05:00 PM

ps, Michelle, I'm so impressed with your workout schedule. How do you find the energy? You GO!
Old 12-10-2004, 06:00 PM

My gag reflex has been really sensitive lately, too. Things that didn't really bother me before (like dumping toddler poops into the toilet) now I have to pull my shirt over my mouth and nose and fight those horrible urges to dry heave. Oh man, sometimes my stomach turns so violently it feels like it really did flip over in there.

Last night, I was lying funny on the sofa watching "The Terminal" and felt babe flopping around several times. Had to be the way I was lying b/c I haven't felt much sense, but it was so cool.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:17 PM

my gag reflex has been bad with these new prenatals. they have a gross coating on them. i really like the formula though, so i'm sticking to them.

i've felt the baby move like 3 times, but over the last couple weeks. i wanna feel hogwart all the time!

aja

Old 12-12-2004, 12:07 AM

Hi all,

Still here, still puking daily. Saw my OB this week--mostly so I could get the referral to the midwives--and she did a sonogram because I've lost nearly 10 pounds. Yikes. How am I still so bloaty and fat? Anyway, the baby looks like a BABY! Big head, body--just amazing. It was nice to actually see it b/c I've kind of lost sight of the forest for the trees. She said it looks like it is gaining fine, so that was a relief, too.

My maternity clothes suck, also. I need to go buy some decent stuff. It's bad enough that I feel icky, I shouldn't have to *look* icky, too.

Anyway, I keep forgetting how far along I am--June 12 is the due date. 13-14 weeks? Isn't that awful? Everything is just so day-to-day survival mode--and a soon to be 3 yr. old, to boot!

One day I'll post a postive post here--I promise!! In the meantime, it's nice to be able to vent some of this misery.

User Tag List