What do you like to eat that's not so good for you??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-19-2005, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My grandmother used to make kidney beans in an interesting way, and since then my mom makes them this way and I buy them too and eat them like this as well.
They'd be good for you besides the sugar.
Does anyone else eat them this way?
What we do is mix a can of kidney beans with some vinegar... Like maybe less than 1/4 cup? A few splashes. Then we add sugar, probably about the same amount. Of course, not too good for you. You could use brown sugar too. Then we put it on the stove for probably about 30 minutes to let it simmer and make the kidney bean "juice" or sauce whatever you call it, get thick.
I love to eat it with rice. Brown rice (do you believe me?? lol!!!!!!!). No I admit it, I usually eat it with white rice.
So I guess the protien is good, but maybe it's cooked out of the beans eh? Vinegar can't hurt. The sugar sucks.
I'm making some right now. I'm going to eat it with macaroni and cheese.
Oy vey.
Karen
#2 of 18 Old 01-19-2005, 07:18 PM

Cereal. I LOVE cereal. Cold, boxed, presweetened cereal. Life, honeycomb, cap'n crunch, cheerios... yum.
#3 of 18 Old 01-21-2005, 11:36 AM

I do almost all of our grocery shopping at Whole Foods which is about 30 min. away but when I run into the local grocery store to get something on the fly, I am always tempted to by all the treats of yester-year! Think...Toastchee's, Fritos, Bagelbites, Oreos, etc...
#4 of 18 Old 01-21-2005, 03:36 PM

chocolate.
lots of it.

lots.

and i'm evilly craving sushi right now. sashimi. and i can't eat any.
it's so unfair...
#5 of 18 Old 01-21-2005, 03:49 PM

take heart, organicbanana, studies show that moms who consume chocolate during their pregnancy have calmer babies then those who don't.

Pass the Ghiradelli's!
#6 of 18 Old 01-21-2005, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

OOh yeah bagel bites!!! I love it when those go on sale.
When I was growing up, the local store (Giant) had their own brand of little pizzas; 8 came in a box. We'd eat the heck out of those things and I miss them They were little round pizzas and we'd eat one or two. When you added more cheese and oregano they were even better. Even our parakeet ate them. Why do they stop making the best stuff in the store!?!??!
I've been making kettle corn lately; well sort of. White popcorn is the only kind that you can use to make it. For some reason the sugar and salt doesn't stick to yellow popcorn.
Anyhoo, in a pot you put in some oil and the popcorn, then sprinkle sugar and salt on it and pop it. Usually the first time you can get the ration of sugar and salt correct. It's not hard to figure out.
A good thing though is I've been eating a lot of fruits and vegetables. Someone gave me oyster sauce from the chinese grocery and I cant' believe how good it is when you sautee fresh broccoli and cauliflower, etc in the sauce.
In all honesty I could eat mangoes and corn on the cob (and steamed crabs) all day long for a year straight (maybe). But bagel bites sound good right now
Karen
#7 of 18 Old 01-21-2005, 05:03 PM

Reese's peanut butter cups.
#8 of 18 Old 01-25-2005, 12:28 AM

Chocolate, esp. those expensive chocolate bars that have the whipped hazelnut filling ... yummmm........

Buttery, salty popcorn.

Coke :

The last pregnancy I craved Devilled Ham, that stuff in a can! That can't be good for anyone -- it tasted so good though, with mayonnaise on a sandwich.
#9 of 18 Old 02-06-2005, 01:32 PM

anything and everything? sigh..my cravings are soo bad this tiem around

I wantt oeat helathy but my body refuses...lol
#10 of 18 Old 02-06-2005, 01:47 PM

chick patties! oh lord they are soooooo good. there is not a single healthy thing in them, though
riblets
veggie burgers

basically, i love any fake meat-type processed junk. mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#11 of 18 Old 02-07-2005, 08:29 PM

Strawberrry frosted poptarts. Yes, I'm serious. I've been craving them non-stop. I hadn't even had a pop tart in like 4 years before a month ago. I know those things must be terrible for me!!

(I'm visiting from the May board, I'm due the 28th and have a feeling I'll have a June baby!)

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#12 of 18 Old 02-08-2005, 11:28 AM

HI Jenn!

Nice to see you here. I met you over on the Circ board! Actually I hijacked your thread over there. :

I second the popcorn vote. The popcorn itself isn't to bad. It's the butter. LOTS of it.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#13 of 18 Old 02-08-2005, 12:19 PM

mmmmm... I've been eating soooo much popcorn the past couple of weeks. I finally bought some kernels and just popped some in peanut oil. I salted it but think next time I'll leave it plain. So good.
#14 of 18 Old 02-08-2005, 06:11 PM

Hotdogs, lol. I've been craving hotdogs like mad. Big fat ones, slathered in mustard and relish, on a toasted bun. Mmmm. They're not that bad for you, right? I mean, they're made with "all beef" (of course that could include the hooves...).

Oh, and Caramilk chocolate bars. I've had two since lunch. But I consider them good, as well, because I crave water with them. Anything that'll get water into me is a good thing.
#15 of 18 Old 02-08-2005, 06:25 PM

Mamas, God help me with the chocolate. It was oranges too but now, just chocolate, chocolate soy milk, chocolate soy dream, brownies...I do offset it with everything else being healthy, but still not enough greens these days... peace
#16 of 18 Old 02-08-2005, 10:32 PM

Franks Red Hot...on everything!!!
#17 of 18 Old 02-09-2005, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

I saw some guy on MTV the other day chugging Franks Red Hot, so don't feel bad ;o)
Everything just tastes SOOOO good now. Looking back at my weight progression for my pregnancies, I only began gaining weight at week 20 or thereabouts. I hit 20 weeks this weekend and everything has this amazing taste to it.
Went to Burger King today and got a Veggie burger. The ketchup on it tasted so good I couldn't believe it. That's one of my favorite things; their veggie burger. Now if McDonalds would just bring THIER veggie burger to Maryland I'd be very happy. I had it once in NYC but can't remember what it was like. I had meant to ask for it made the same way as the other hamburgers but let's just say I didn't think it would happen even if I asked. So next time we're up there I am going to get one and make sure they do the mustard, pickles, onions, ketchup thing.
I haven't gotten on a scale yet and now I *know* I'm not lol!!!!
Karen
#18 of 18 Old 02-10-2005, 05:32 PM

Why is everone afraid of a little sugar? Your bean recipe sounds yummy and nutritious.

You guys are crazy, popcorn isn't bad for you at all (air popped) and butter is great, waaaayyyyy better for you than margerine or something. YUM!

I love to eat sushi. I had some earlier in my pregnancy and if I am faced with it again I don't think I'll be able to abstain. But it's protein! And those good fats. oh yummy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page