Mothering Forum banner

Anterior Placenta Question...

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  famousmockngbrd 
#1 ·
One thing I wanted to know at the u/s yesterday was where the heck my placenta was. I have this huge fear of it digging into my c-section scar and causing problems.
I asked the tech, and didn't want to say anterior or posterior, but asked if it was in the front or the back and she said the front. That's anterior, correct?
If so this really kind of freaks me out. Of course I'm hardly even halfway through my pregnancy and even if it's near the scar, it can move, just like with a previa. I asked her if she could see my c-section scar and without even seeming like she was looking she quickly told me no. So I don't even know if that's visible on u/s. When I mentioned I was worried about the placenta being over the scar she said nothing. She was a real treat ;o)
So, anyone with experiences???
Karen

#2 ·
While not in the same situation as you....I do know that the techs at the place I go for ultrasounds are NOT supposed to comment on anything problematic/medical as that is not their job, of course most of them do, but a direct question like the one you gave her is really for the doctor.

#5 ·
Just wanted to clarify--
I didn't expect her to give me any kind of medical advice or answers. Being in the field myself, I know better. I wasn't hoping she'd answer me, I was hoping she'd acknowledge me somehow. The point was that she was less than friendly during the whole thing
After I asked if the placenta was in the front or the back, I felt like I had to explain why I was asking which is why I mentioned the concern I had.
I just looked at my old u/s reports from previous pregnancies and in each case had an anterior placenta. I spoke to my midwife about it and she reassured me that more than likely the placenta will move up above the scar and we can listen for it with the doppler to get a good idea as to where it is.
I'm actually still waiting for her to call me back with the results; she hadn't heard from anyone when I saw her on Monday. I'm hoping I can get a copy of the report! I've always had access to that stuff. When I worked in a doctor's office, I'd just call for it (bad! bad!) and I really liked having the records. After all they are mine. I could have filled out a release, but I'm an immediate gratification type of person! If I know I can get something right away I always try that route first ;o)
Take care and thanks all,
Karen

#6 ·
I'm wondering about this, too. I had an u/s the 19th. I asked where the placenta was while the OB was still doing the scan and he motioned on the right side, up high... like it was along the side/top of the uterus. then, when he was filling in my chart (he usually sits next to me and tells me what he's putting in there) he filled out yes/okay on everything but placenta. There he wrote, "Anterior, check again in 2 months" and he drew it in on the bottom right in the little diagram. He doesn't know I'm seeing a mw and planning hb. I don't want to go back to him at all... but it had be concerned. Just weird that he motioned high and drew it low. I just want to know if it's over the scar. I'm not worried about much else... But I've been feeling babe move sooo much the past few days... but i have more fat on my belly than in previous pregnancies so everything feels different. Plus she's a girl and not either of my other kids. :LOL I Just don't know what to think and I'm totally rambling.

#7 ·
Sorry you had such an unfriendly tech, Karennn. I hope your doctor gives you some answers to your questions.

My midwife thinks my placenta is in the front too, and so do I - I haven't been feeling a lot of movement, and the heartbeart is always hard to hear, even with a doppler - forget it with the fetoscope. This is only potentially a problem because DS was in a bad position when I went into labor and I had difficulty delivering him. We were talking about how if that happens again, we can try a version, but of course if the placenta is in the front we can't do that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.