June Mommies; Weekly thread January 31-February (Holy CROW IT's FEBRUARY) 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2005, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm officially 20 weeks today, halfway there! My best friend has been in early labor (regular mild contractions) since WEDNESDAY (Wed or Thurs? cripes I have no mind left) Anyway, it's been a long time. She's doing absolutely wonderfully though. I am so proud of her.

I'm a little concerned about something, and maybe you guys can reassure me a bit. For weeks, I've been feeling movement, up high in my uterus. Not regular movement, but every once in a while. Anyway, lately, I'm noticing that the way the movement FEELS changed, and it's lower down, closer to my cervix. Is this something to freak out about, or maybe the baby just changed position? I'm also peeing a lot more than I have been, and have leaked when I sneezed a few times :LOL So, I'm trying to lean more towards the baby changed position than the freak out. :LOL

Last night, in ShopRite (where I only go if I'm desperate. That place is a zoo. I so miss living closer to the health food store. Anyway,) DH and I were picking up some food for the dog and found some steaks for us (free range and everything, raised in Australia, though, I prefer to buy USA, but in a pinch....ya know :LOL). While DH was asking me if I wanted steaks for dinner, I started to feel lousy; nauseous and just generally blechy. I told him to get whatever he wanted, because I wasn't feeling too well anyway.

We got on line (THE LONGEST LINE IN THE HISTORY OF GROCERY SHOPPING) and I had to sit down on the floor for a little while, because I was getting dizzy. Then, when I stood up, I swear I almost passed out. I told DH I was going to wait for him in the car. Why in heaven's name I thought it was okay to walk BY MYSELF to the car, when I felt like I was going to pass out, is beyond me, but luckily, I found the car and sat down and started to feel better, without further incident. Now DH is afraid to leave me alone though, in case I pass out :LOL Of course, I think I know what the culprit was. I ate about half a box of everlasting Gobstoppers (Ick.) a few hours earlier. I'm thinking that I was just coming off my sugar high :LOL

How's everyone else doing?

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2005, 02:31 PM

Sounds like babe just flipped around a bit in there, Sharon-anne. I'm sure all is fine.
I've had times like that... about to pass out. It's not fun so I try to avoid it. :LOL Glad you were okay getting to the car... funny the things that make sense to us at times.

I'm doing well, although it is cold to come home to freezing rain when you've been in mexico on a cruise for a week. :LOL I miss Cancun.
*She* has really become more active. Nothing like I remember my boys being (of course, afterwards you mostly remember the last month or two of being pg it seems) but she has very active spurts. I think she is still transverse, head right above my left hip, butt and feet up on my right side.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:48 PM

I don't know about the movement location changing, but I'm inclined to agree with you that it's cause baby has changed position. Perhaps someone else will have something more helpful to add

Everything is good here. Had a family gathering last nite to celebrate my brothers birthday, got to show off the ultrasound video and pics and the big belly.

I'm reading a book called Having Faith by Sandra Steingraber, an ecologist. It's really good and I recommend it wholeheartedly... though be warned that it is kind of angering and depressing. She writes about her pregnancy and interspersed with that is a biological and ecological look at pregnancy.. mainly how toxins and pollutants in the environment affect babies in utero and how it affects breastmilk - and needless to say these are not good effects. It makes me feel outraged that so much contamination of the environment and our bodies and our babies is going on because of the greed of corporations and the incompetence of governments, especially in America. And it makes me depressed, too, that I have to worry about these things and not be able to just enjoy eating fish or fruit or meat, or, you know, breathing and drinking water. I cannot drink the well water here at the farm because all the cows in the area have polluted the groundwater with e. coli, which is not a chemical polluntant, but still, we have to bring in gallons of bottled water every week, until we cough up a few thousand bucks to have city water put in, which will hopefully be soon. And in lots of places the immunilogical (sp? is that even a word?) boosts that breastmilk brings is nearly cancelled out by the immune-system effecting toxins that get passed from mother to baby in that same milk. What else is astonishing is the lack of information easily available to the general public about this. There's research papers, and agencies that track the toxins in breastmilk and their effects, more so abroad than here in the US, but breastfeeding publications don't discuss this at all.

*sigh* Like I said it's a wonderful book, well written and interesting and even poetic, but it arouses strong negative feelings.

Tomorrow is twenty three weeks for me. I don't know if I posted this here yet but I found out at my appointment last week that I gained eight pounds last month! Up from a pound an a half gained last month. This babe sure is growing in strange spurts My next appointment, Feb 24, I will have another u/s to get a photo of the heart, and then my March appointment will be when I get the GD test... I asked her if I had to take it and she told me that I didn't have to take anything and there wouldn't be any repercussions if I refused but that she would recommend it as there is a history of diabetes in my family. So I'm going to go ahead and do it. Hopefully will pass it fine.

So, I'm ordering most of my diapers from diaperco, as they have that fabulous MDC discount, and this is what I have come up with for a newborn list:

6 kissaluvs, 4 fuzzibunz, 3 wonderoos, 20 cpf, 4 hemparoo prefolds, and from somewhere else I'm ordering 6 proraps covers. I'm also going to be crocheting some (dunno how many) wool wraps. Going to use disposables for the meconium stage.

We do not have a washer and dryer. My inlaws live right next door to us however and they welcome us to use theirs, which we do. I'm not sure if this invitation extends to diapers, we haven't asked yet, although they do know we are CDing.

If anyone has any advice or comments or suggestions about my diaper plans please share them! This is my first so obviously I've never CDed before and can use all the helpful hints I can get.

Well I guess I'll skidaddle now that I've written a novel!
Old 01-31-2005, 05:29 PM

AlmostFey - I LOVE that book. I read it a few years ago but still think about it. DH even read it and quotes stuff all the time. I would also highly recommend it.

Well, I have had a cold for the last week or so. I am so tired of being congested!! I keep thinking of all the things I want to get done but I CAN'T BREATHE!!!

I am going to go try to get a walk in today before I lose my energy. I hope all is well with everyone!!

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~
Old 01-31-2005, 06:42 PM

:

Hi everyone! Things are going well...just waiting and waiting
Old 02-01-2005, 12:58 AM

My sinus infection is back. I took a nap after work and missed my FIL who came over to have supper with DH and the girls.

I have my appointment tomorrow and can't wait. Baby was more quiet today, but more active tonight. I think that kicks almost felt like little feet at one point!

Michelle

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 02-01-2005, 11:41 AM

I'm feeling lots of baby movements from the outside, DH has caught it a couple times too, but I don't have any clue as to what is going on in there! Last night I was laying in bed reading with my hand on my belly and was feeling it really strongly! Kicks I guess? I dunno

She has many periods of wakefulness throughout the day - she's stirring right now. She is usually active somewhere around nine, somewhere around noon, somewhere around four, around six, and at bedtime, which is about nine for me. And at points throughout the night but you know seeing as how I'm sleeping I don't always catch those
Old 02-01-2005, 12:25 PM

mclisa - are you doing anything for your sinus infection? I think my cold is turning into a sinus infection. I was reading in What to Expect last night and it said it was really common in pregnant women because of the increased mucous. They mentioned antibiotics and I really don't want to have to take anything. Mostly I have been trying to take a few hot showers a day and I started trying to irrigate my nose with salt water.

I am starting to recognize a pattern with the baby's movements also. It seems it is more active in the evenings of days when I am more active. So since I have been sick it hasn't been as active.

My appt is today - I get to hear the heartbeat - yippee. This week's prenatal class is on relaxation and the beginning of a discussion on breastfeeding. I am looking forward to that.

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~
Old 02-01-2005, 02:47 PM

Hi Ladies,

I'm going to have to keep this short because I am SO sick! I've been running a fever for almost 2 days, around 100 to 101. I actually had to cave and take some tylenol yesterday because I was afraid it was getting too high. (btw, you can scrape off the red words 'Tylenol' on the pill with a knife--because it's made from red dye #40 which is evil stuff--before you take it. My 2 year old is also sick with the same virus so we're pretty much in survival mode here. Dh took the day off yesterday because all I could do was sleep. He had to go in today, though, so I'm going to have to figure out a way to keep going.

sorry to those with sinus infections. I cannot breathe either, it's miserable! I've been doing saline drops which help a little.

ok better run. not sure if I am coherent enough to post.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Had our ultrasound this morning! The tech said everything was perfect and you couldn't get any better than this baby. We didn't want to know the gender, but he might have slipped ("There's his heart.....THE heart") I guess we won't know for another 20 weeks or so; unless I call him and terrorize him into telling me. :LOL

Let me ask a stupid question; what the heck do they make you drink all that water for, if they're going to look in there and say, "Oh, you're too full, go let SOME out" AND, how the HECK am I supposed to let SOME out? I felt like I was full from my toes to my eyebrows with water :LOL It was only 32 ounces, but still Anyway, I successfully let SOME out. grumble grumble and the ultrasound went off without a hitch, and my baby is perfect. I'm in a good mood today

Old 02-01-2005, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonAnne
I'm a little concerned about something, and maybe you guys can reassure me a bit. For weeks, I've been feeling movement, up high in my uterus. Not regular movement, but every once in a while. Anyway, lately, I'm noticing that the way the movement FEELS changed, and it's lower down, closer to my cervix. Is this something to freak out about, or maybe the baby just changed position? I'm also peeing a lot more than I have been, and have leaked when I sneezed a few times :LOL So, I'm trying to lean more towards the baby changed position than the freak out. :LOL
Hi. The same thing has happened to me except in reverse. I used to feel tons of very distinct kicks and movement down really low. Over the last 2 days I have been freaking out because all of a sudden it seemed like the baby wasn't moving. I have to really concentrate and when I do feel the movements they are much higher up and very vague. Full belly twinges as opposed to really obvious kicks. I'm not too worried anymore because when I really sit down and relax I can still feel lots of movement. My ultrasound at 18 weeks showed baby head up so I'm assuming that maybe baby has now moved head down .

Other than that things here are fine. My due date has been changed to May 28th but I'm still sticking around here because that's where I've been and who knows when baby will actually arrive. I'm feeling OK. Still nauseous all day but I'm used to it by now. Still tired too....but once again getting used to it :LOL. I'm very happy to be over the half way point.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Old 02-01-2005, 03:44 PM

Hello fello preggos....
I'm feeling more and more movement lately! I'm 19 weeks as of this past Sunday. Very hard to believe! DH has been able to feel it, I got my mom to feel it as well which she really liked. I still can't get my 4 year old to sit long enough to feel it, but what I've been doing is sitting on the sofa with him and letting him put his legs on my tummy in the hopes that he'll feel the baby kick. I swear at least 2 or 3 times the baby has kicked him in the foot or leg but my son ALSO swears that he didn't feel it at all.
I tried putting the remote on my belly to show him that the baby wanted to change the channel and he didn't believe that the baby did it.
Not that I want to rush things but it will be cool when I'm much bigger and it's much easier to let him feel it. All I'll have to do is lay behind him and the baby will kick him in the rear I used to do that to dh when pregnant with my son.
I've been trying to get a hold of my midwife to hear what the heck my sonogram report said. I would imagine that if something were terribly wrong, I would have heard about it by now. The report was supposed to be faxed and mailed to her back up (she's a lay midwife and can't order tests). She was then to get the results to my midwife. At my appt last Monday I asked about it and she's like "I'll call her right now!" and I was all "No don't do that!" (dumb). So I called her a few days later and left a message about it. What's funny is that if this were an ob's office I'd be so far into their stuff about not calling me back, but because I know I can get a hold of my midwife whenever I want, for some reason it's not a big deal. I don't want to call her cell phone or beep her, but I know that I *can*. Does that make any sense? I could also call her back up but I called her about 3 times on the day of the sonogram because I forgot the freaking order when I went to the place to have it done (dumb again lol!). So I don't want to bug the woman. Sometimes I have the too nice syndrome.
So other than that nothing else is really going on. I really want to have a repeat sono done to find out the sex. Gah! I sent out a few emails to radiology schools asking if they needed volunteers so I can avoid having to pay for another one. No bites yet. I may just make phone calls, sometimes that is more effective than emails. Or I can just wait until April when I have insurance. That's two months away. 60 days. I can't take it.
Take care everyone!!!!
Karen
Old 02-01-2005, 04:12 PM

I hear ya on the bladder-u/s thing. I drink 2 oz of water and 15 minutes later feel like I'm going to explode. With ds#1 :LOL I tried to drink 32 oz on the 1hr drive to the OB. I got about 20 down, then knew I should stop. Then I get there and have to WAIT FOR LIKE 20 MINUTES!!!! OMG the receptionists were so rude b/c I was in pain and running around and moving all over to keep from peeing on myself. Grr... so stupid.

MOvement has changed for me today, too. I think she just turned over with her back facing out, so her kicks and punches are into my insides and I just can't feel them as obviously.... or something.

Sciatica has kicked in. Usually just down the outside of my left hip/thigh, but ow... B/t that and round ligament pain (if that's what I'm feeling, feels like my inner hip/pelvic joints are about to break apart) it hurts to sit for long. Or to walk or stand. :LOL It's not too terrible of pain though, so I shouldn't complain much. Other than that, still dealing with congestion and irritated nasal lining, i think that's the techinical term. hehe.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:28 PM

Hi gang!

Poor Pepper -- I'm so sorry that you are still sick! That stinks.

AlmostFey -- If it's not too terribly personal, about how much are all those diapers costing you? I am really struggling with this. We didn't cd ds until he was 10 months old, when a friend gave me her whole supply of AIOs for free -- there were a dozen each of each size (S, M, and L) and that really worked OK for him at that age, although I imagine for a newborn I'll need a good deal more than that. I just wonder how much it will cost.

SharonAnne -- The same thing happened to me when I was pg with ds at about this time -- I was near to fainting on the subway and once in the pedicure chair (I was very high maintenance in those days ). As it turned out, I wasn't getting enough protein, which might be a problem for you too -- I really increased it (started eating two eggs a day -- my second breakfast -- for instance) and felt much better. You can also try Floradix (herbal iron supplement) which doesn't create the constipation problem like other iron supplements can.

I'm feeling the bahby move, although not every day which of course worries me a little -- what's a pg mom if not a worrier? And am a little nervous about the u/s on Friday. But feeling good in general, if still a bit crabby and easily tired out. I read this is often the most high-energy month of pregnancy, which is a pretty sad comment in my case -- although I am not much of a high-energy person anyway. More of a lay in the hammock and read kind of girl
Old 02-01-2005, 11:10 PM

Sorry everyone is sick. I had a cold over Christmas and it was the second worse cold in my entire life, and it took over a week for me to begin to feel better (stupid suppressed immune system).

I had my 22 week appointment today. I can't believe this pregnancy is half over. Everything is good, except my blood pressure is a little high. I wonder if my thyroid meds can cause an elevated bp. I really don't want anything to mess up my homebirth, so I need to really up my protein, iron, fluids, and start some more anti high bp activities. My MW didn't seem too concerned, since there are a lot of changes and stresses happening in my life right now.

My baby is great. Once again the heartbeat was over 150, but I'm not getting my hopes up for a girl just yet. He/she is moving a lot now, which is so wonderful. I love to feel the taps on the inside and outside, and it's great when DH gets to feel them too. I'm feeling good, but have started to realize that soon it's going to be harder for me to sleep and move around. I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.

My SIL called me today and she and my MIL want to have a baby shower for me in April - I didn't expect this at all and am excited and happy.

On a personal note, DH and I are getting ready to move in 3 weeks. Of course he's mostly working out of town now, so I'm packing up the whole house. Luckily my mom is coming during one of the weekends he's gone. We have no place to live yet (kind of hard to homebirth without a home), and just decided that we're going to stay with my parents until we go find a house (which hopefully won't be more than a few weeks). It's going to be crowded with my parents, brother, his cat, me, DH, my stomach, and our dog.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:11 PM

With the ten percent MDC discount at diaperco (along with a few little discounts for amounts of various things ordered), what I listed will be 183.20... and then I'm getting the six proraps covers at katie's kisses for a little less than $40 I believe. Edit: I just looked at my cart and realized I only had two wonderoos. With three it goes up to 196.65

I haven't even begun to figure out how many and what sort of diapers we'll get when baby is older:\ Guess I should start thinking about that. I did order the wonderoos which supposedly can be used for all sizes, but we'll see how we like them.

In other baby stuff news, we've ordered the cosleeper and now a stroller, this one, and today (thanks to searching MDC!) I found the diaper bag I want! Picking the fabric is going to be soooooo hard... they're all so gorgeous. I was really wanting a diaper bag that wasn't in goofy baby colors/patterns (cause I'm the one carrying the thing after all, not the baby!) or made of icky feeling plasticky stuff and was thrilled to find the link to those.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:15 PM

Neat stroller, but it will be a while before you can use it. Those bags are sooo pretty!!! I like chartreuse, butterfly, fuschia, and truffle.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:27 AM

Yeah I think I've decided on the butterfly print. Now I just have to pick out the hotsling I want... I plan on slinging more than strollering but I wanted a stroller too.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:58 PM

Oooh, what cute things! I am a little jealous. We have two strollers -- one much bigger, and one cheapier umbrella stroller but I like the one you picked out best! I'm also keeping an eye out for a new diaper bag. For some reason dh got to pick one out last time, and he got this big ugly suitcase-like Eddie Bauer thing -- I never liked it.

In theory I am anti-second-baby showers (it seems like a bit much to expect one, anyway) but would love if my mom and MIL wanted to get me a few new things
Old 02-03-2005, 01:52 AM

I'm feeling so much better. I've been taking Zithromax (an antibiotic) for my sinuses. That along with sleep and fluids have been helping.

For the u/s question: they want you to drink that much so your bladder is full and pushes up the uterus into your abd so it is easier to view.

Last night I swear if could feel feet kicking me. They were so distinct! Lots of movement today. I laid in bed this morning for awhile just enjoying all of the movement. That's what I love about being pregnant. Feeling that little one move!

Michelle

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 02-03-2005, 08:11 PM

I had one of my "co-care" appointments today with the Cleveland Clinic midwife, and got the scoop about their news -- namely, that they (the midwives) won't be delivering babies at the main downtown campus anymore, but at several suburban hospitals instead.

They are supposed to make the switch at the end of May. Mostly for me it means that if I do have to go to the hospital (and it's not a dire, dire emergency, in which case I guess I'd go to one that is literally five minutes away and not Cleveland Clinic-affiliated) I'd be having my baby at Hillcrest which has a (gasp) 98% epidural rate and a "high c-section rate" (I didn't ask for particulars). And a head nurse who does not apparently take kindly to birth plans. Eeek! I am a little freaked out. I think the midwife is too -- she didn't elaborate, but I get the feeling they had a lot more freedom and solidarity downtown, and this is going to be a strange situation for them.

She suggested I take a tour of the hospital, and I'm going to write a birth plan anyway (mostly for post-partum stuff -- no circ, no shots, no pacifiers or formula, etc.) and see what our new pediatrician has to say -- at the very least, I'd want to get out of there as quickly as possible. What a drag!

I also joined the Y today because there is some concern there will be a repeat of the high blood pressure I had with Miles -- my doula had told me back then that if we'd been at a hospital (instead of a birth center) I probably would have wound up with a c-section, rather than the lovely, wonderful natural birth we did have. Anyway, the connection is that exercise is the best preventative for it and I am very motivated now to do something about it (although I think I've been really good at **talking** about getting more exercise).
Old 02-04-2005, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh..exercise. I should be doing that, huh? :LOL I'll start after I get over whatever creeping crud I'm coming down with. DH has been sick for a few days. He got up this morning, after pumping himself full of NyQuil, feeling better.

I've been staving it off for the days he was sick. This morning, he jumped out of bed, almost fit as a fiddle, and I snuggled deeper under the covers, because, dude, I feel awful.

And, even if I wanted to, I can't OD on NyQuil to make myself feel better. NOT that I want to, believe me. Blech.

So, DH wanted me to stay home from work today, but I had too much to do. Of course, now that I"m here, I'm perusing message boards instead of doing all that work I have looming over my head. Go figure.

Hopefully this won't beat me up too badly and I'll be okay. As it stands, I'm trying to stay away from my inlaws so I don't get any of them sick, so they don't get my SIL's baby sick. And one of my friends just had a baby a few days ago, and I"m dying to go visit, but don't want to risk getting her baby sick either.

So, I'll just sit here with MY baby and be sick. :LOL

Old 02-04-2005, 02:39 PM

Eeep, exercising. Yeah I'm part of the should-be-but-aint crowd. Although DH and I did go for a ramble around the property yesterday... which was walking at least. We'll do it regularly, once the weather is warmer and the days are longer.

We got our stroller yesterday and I am impressed! It had a few features I didn't know about - it has pleats in the backrest part that unzip to make it recline! How ingenious! And it's got little pockets on the sides of the sunroof and beneath the seat! I'm pleased with it. It's lightweight and folds up tightly and seems pretty sturdy.

We went and saw The Life Aquatic last night (very good!) and it gave me the idea of how I can get the baby used to my voice... I don't know if I've mentioned it here or not but I've been a bit worried because the baby doesn't hear much from me in the daytime, because I'm hear all alone, any communicating I do is online, and if I talk to myself aloud naturally it's in a half-whisper... she prolly hears me enough when DH is home or other times to know my voice, but I still worry about it. Anyhoo one of the characters in the movie reads aloud to her unborn baby. So that's what I'm going to start doing. I loved the movie, if you like Wes Anderson's others you'll like this one as well.

Also, has anyone changed their minds on names, come up with new ones? Lately I'm really loving Pearl... Pearl Marie perhaps. DH is ok with it but doesn't love it, and it has my MIL's approval.. we've decided that we're not going to decide for sure until the birth, but we're not having a whole lot of luck coming up with ideas. It seems a huge responsibility, to name a person... Guess I should get used to the whole huge responsibility thing!
Old 02-04-2005, 11:09 PM

We are wavering big time on names, and nothing is jumping out. Some recent favorites for a boy are Carlo, Leo, and Javier (after that super-cute Spanish actor who I saw on the Golden Globes!).

I'm happy to report that our u/s went well today -- all looks just as it should
Old 02-05-2005, 01:07 PM

almostfey: with #1 I read outloud Guess How Much I love You almost every night. (btw DD1 does not like this book and won't sit still if we pick it out to read! :LOL
DH also read The Hobbit out loud as well. (though I fell asleep during parts!)

Now I read to the girls every evening so the baby has to listen to that!

Otherwise, life is OK here. I did my 2 miles today. Of course, now I'm eating homemade cinnamon rolls so see what that effort did for me!

Michelle

User Tag List