Emotional meltdown at Burger King - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-16-2005, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't believe my reaction today to what happened at Burger King which wasn't really even a big deal.
I like the veggie burger they have (I think I've probably mentioned this at least 5 times). They recently changed the type that they use and no longer run it through the broiler. I ate one that way (just microwaved) and absolutely hated it.
I'm a vegetarian but eat fish/dairy so I'm pretty loose in what I will and won't eat. I don't mind if it's been sent through the broiler and know it's touching meat. Whatever.
So today I go in with dh and my son and ask for one and ask if they can broil it instead of microwave. The manager said flat out no. I was so peeved I didn't even ask why and cancelled my whole order except for fries.
Then I felt like I was going to start crying so I went to the bathroom for about 10 minutes and tried to calm down.
Then I go sit down with my family and my husband asks if I want more than one fries since that's all I'm getting. I tell him no. He gets up and goes and gets in line. I have a feeling I know what he's doing, but it's not until he gets back that I really have a breakdown. He came back with two king sized fries and sets them down in front of me, probably really proud of himself, and it truly was a nice gesture. I look at them and start BAWLING. I compose myself a little, catch a glimpse of them again and start bawling all over again. It was really embarrassing and confusing for him. I told him I didn't want the fries and I already told him that.
*sigh*
So now my mission is to find out why the heck they can't put those things through the broiler. AND why they took the pickles off of them. I mean, hello.... WHY take pickles off of a sandwich that used to always have them? WHY? At a burger place no less.
Unfortunately BK doesn't have an email address you can write to so I either have to hand write a letter or call them. I guess I'll be calling them eh?
If anyone knows the answer to this question I'll be happy to hear it.
The only things I can think of are these--That the burger they use maybe can get stuck on the things in the broiler, or that they want it to be strictly vegetarian and don't want people complaining that there's meat on their veggie burger. But hello, there's mayo on it, and hello, if you ASK them to put it in the broiler it means that you know what goes in there. And if you don't, they can kindly remind you and ask you if it's still o.k.
What's sad is that if they really won't do this anymore I won't want to go back. Not that it's a bad thing for us to not go there, but we go once every couple of weeks and my son plays in the play place. One of those ritual things. He gets a grilled cheese there. No problem making a freaking cheese sandwich if you ask, but call the athorities if pregnant suspect A comes in and wants her veggie burger broiled.
Oh well. It's warmer now and we don't need play places as much anyway.
Blah.
I wonder what my next meltdown will be? Reminds me of the time I locked myself in the bathroom when my mother in law was staying with us after my son was born. Hormones. Bring 'em on.
If you got this far, bless you lol!
Karen
#2 of 17 Old 04-16-2005, 10:02 PM

*hugs* I don't know anything about BK so can't help you out there. But I know how it sucks to go somewhere looking forward to something you enjoy eating and then it not happening for one reason or another, that's enough to make me have a breakdown when I'm not pg .
#3 of 17 Old 04-17-2005, 01:27 AM

You could always try PlanetFeedback: http://www.planetfeedback.com/search....x=0&image.y=0

I'm not sure how they'll communicate the info to BK if they don't accept email, but it's worth a shot.
#4 of 17 Old 04-17-2005, 03:50 PM

i totally understand

#5 of 17 Old 04-17-2005, 04:01 PM

HUGS!!!

I totally understand too. Friday afternoon I broke down. I had actually had a good day b/c we had training so i didn't have to teach my spring-crazy sophomores (on the day of the prom no less). Had great fun at training b/c next year I will be teaching British Lit (my passion). Got home, took a shower, took a nap, but then began thinking about something my friend said to me the other day (its a long story...) and I got really mad, then my husband called and said he was going fishing for a few hours and I confronted him about spending too much money this week and I cried with him on the phone. then i went upstairs and sat on the toilet and cried some more. why? i don't know! Here's to hormones!!!!!

Writer, teacher, and mama to Rhiannon Morningstar 6/28/05
#6 of 17 Old 04-17-2005, 09:04 PM

I know how you feel. I was crushed when I went into Subway and found out that they don't have dijon horseradish sauce any more. Getting one of their subs on whole wheat (turkey, provolone, green peppers, olives, sweet peppers, lettuce ... mmmm) was such a treat, and a pretty healthy one, too, I think. Darn it!

Good luck!
#7 of 17 Old 04-17-2005, 11:00 PM

Karennnnn, I am the same kind of vegetarian and I completely understand. i am soooo thankful that we have in and out burger here (they make what they call a "grilled cheese" and it rocks!!!). I know what it feels like to sit down to a pile of french fries because some lame restaraurant ran out of garden burgers or bean patties or whatever else. Such a let down!
#8 of 17 Old 04-17-2005, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Melissa--
Have you tried any of their other sauces?
I used to get a honey mustard sauce that was only available at ONE subway. Then thankfully all of them started carrying a honey mustard sauce. I actually used to get it along with the horseradish sometimes. I know your pain.

Thanks to all for your replies. I knew this happened in the beginning and afterwards, but I was a little taken aback that it happened NOW!

On a different note, I found out my neighbor across the street is also pregnant and due 6/17! Isn't that funny! She had her shower today and I saw her come home from it and I totally had no idea. We don't see them much so that's one reason why. Maybe we can all birth at my house???
Shyeah right
Take care all, I have to prepare my body for a trip to the zoo tomorrow. I'm SO not looking for it. I was going all day long and I'm totally sore. After tomorrow I won't be able to move!
Karen
#9 of 17 Old 04-18-2005, 01:28 AM

You have my sympathy! I almost started bawling in a restaurant this morning, because they weren't serving breakfast anymore. I felt my eyes well up and had to will myself out of a potentially embarassing scene in front of my sister, fiance, father, and my 6 year old. I WANTED PANCAKES, DAMMIT.

My aunt told me a great (in hindsight, heh) story about how when she was pregnant with my cousin (who is now 13), she had a total breakdown in a Friendly's because they were out of pistachio ice cream. Her words:
"It was these great, heaving sobs that I just couldn't stop, and all the while there's this little voice in the back of my head going 'YOU ARE BEING RIDICULOUS' and there was nothing I could do about it. I knew I had made the right decision marrying Roy when he just put his arm around me, patted me on the back, and said 'Look, sweetie, they have chocolate chip."

:LOL
#10 of 17 Old 04-18-2005, 02:24 PM

I've been meltdown queen over silly little things too. A week or two ago I was on my way home and started crying because I really wanted to get some chile rellenos from this mexican place. We had just been 2 days prior (and every single week since I was about 20 weeks along), and I didn't want to ask if we could do that instead of me cooking. So, by the time I call him to see if he wants to go there I'm in sobbing hysterics....no idea why...
#11 of 17 Old 04-18-2005, 10:33 PM

Karen -- I did try their chipotle sauce, and it is an ok substitute. Not the same though!

I find myself crying in church a lot -- I'm the sentimental sort anyway but given any slightly sad or moving story I just start weeping.

But has anyone else been experiencing blinding anger over trivial things?
#12 of 17 Old 04-19-2005, 05:51 PM

I'm a little weepy, but anger and annoyance are definitely there! I work on an application helpdesk and some of these folks really get to me after 8 hours!

I also have a co-worker who thinks her phone is for personal calls all day and not doing her job and she's making me insane!
#13 of 17 Old 04-19-2005, 06:31 PM

I think it's a little funny that almost all of these meltdowns have to do with food. I think it's the fatigue + disappointment + low blood sugar that leads to it.

I had one a couple of weeks ago about a discontinued food product at a restaurant. I got a little choked up today that I couldn't find a local restaurant that served waffle fries instead of regular fries.
#14 of 17 Old 04-19-2005, 06:51 PM

i'm not a june '05 mama, but i knew what this thread was going to be about before i even opened it, so i thought i'd share my story with you in hopes of cheering you up:

when i was about 7 months pregnant with my daughter, we went to a local chinese food establishment. i am a vegetarian, but during my pregnancy i ate whatever i wanted, and when i saw "almond chicken" on the menu i got very excited because in my hometown, chinese almond chicken is a yummy crispy battered chicken breast with a light sauce over rice. i decided to go ahead and have some chicken rather than my usual homestyle tofu. well, when it came, it was nothing like detroit almond chicken- it was tiny, oily-looking cubes of diced, naked chicken mixed into fried rice with slivered almonds in it.

i LOST IT and started crying. on top of being starving and my food sucking, which is the most heartbreaking experience a pregnant woman can have, i was incredibly homesick for detroit and started having crazy thoughts about the south and southern people that i won't transcribe here. i was trying not to strat sobbing out loud when the owner came over and started asking what was wrong, and my boyfriend couldn't rub two brain cells together hard enough to tell her i was pregnant and upset, so he just sat there saying "i don't know."

i ended up running out of the restaurant, locking myself in the car, and having a sobbing breakdown in the parking lot. :LOL

it seemed like the end of the world at the time, but now i know that if i want some almond chicken the next time i'm pregnant, i'll just have to go to detroit to get it.
#15 of 17 Old 04-19-2005, 06:53 PM

btw, i once saw a woman in a denny's throw her plate across the dining room because when she finally got her hamburger, there was no cheese or mayonnaise on it.

at the time i thought she was nuts, but now that i've had a kid, i wonder if she was just pregnant.
#16 of 17 Old 04-20-2005, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Weirdness.
I asked why the burger couldn't go through the broiler and she said that it was because basically they don't want it "contaminated" from the other meat. I should have asked what contaminated meant, but from the jist of the conversation, she made it sound like it meant that meat would get on the veggie patty and I might get upset about that because it's supposed to be vegetarian.
She knew my pain though and agreed that you'd think that if I asked for it that way, that they'd do it but it's their policy now. I'm all "Yeah, I could microwave a veggie burger at home". She's all "I know exactly what you mean".
So instead of doing productive things that I'm supposed to be doing, I'm calling burger king. And thinking of writing some sort of articulate letter about "having it your way".
(by the way, this is the only non natural thing that I do--eat at burger king) LMAO!!! :LOL
#17 of 17 Old 04-20-2005, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

BTW--Lynsage--
I just saw your two posts. Don't know how I missed them. Geez, I must be PREGNANT!!! LOL!!!
Thanks for your story. It might inspire a thread on the I'm Pregnant boards... Maybe "What's the silliest thing that made you have a breakdown" or something along those lines.
I still can't stop thinking about that awful microwaved burger. And you know, if they had chosen a different morningstar product, like a grillers patty, it wouldn't taste bad at all microwaved. But since it has mushrooms and cr*p in it, it kind of needs to be broiled.
But I loved your story!!! Bad chinese food is probably even more disappointing. I learned my lesson long ago with that. You just never know what someone else's version is, and it's like taking a chance each time. While pregnant I know to stick with what I know at chinese restaurants!!
Karen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page