Anyone dilated/effaced?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 05-26-2005, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I'm just wondering how I compare to other ladies due around the same time as me (trying to gauge if I'll be early?!?!). I had my 37 week exam this morning, and I am 2cm dilated, 50% effaced and baby is head down at -2 station. At 37wks with my son I was 1cm, 25%, -2 station and he was 4 days late!! I don't want to be early, because my in-laws are flying in from Australia on June 9th (I'm due the 12th) and I don't want them to miss the birth! Anyone else opening up for business yet??

-Kerry
mama to Gavin (March '03), Claire (June '05) & Oliver (hb April '08)
#2 of 19 Old 05-26-2005, 09:13 PM

I am 39 weeks and a few days, 4-5 cm, 80% effaced. Baby is head down, not engaged but I don't know about station.
#3 of 19 Old 05-26-2005, 10:08 PM

I'm 38 weeks. I'm 2/50/ballotable. Basically the same as last week. I never dilated with #1 until over 41 weeks. With #2 I was finally 2 cm at 39 weeks when my water broke. I'm just waiting. DH thinks it will be a May baby. I'm still holding out for June.

All I care is that the baby stays vertex.

Michelle

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#4 of 19 Old 05-26-2005, 10:12 PM

My midwives don't do internals, but by my own measurements, I'm about 2 cm dilated right now. Not sure how to tell about effacement, but my cervix feels very "flat".
I was 2-3 cm dilated & 75% effaced for over four weeks with my daughter.
Oh, and I'm 39 weeks.

#5 of 19 Old 05-26-2005, 10:44 PM

I have no idea if I'm dilated or effaced. I am refusing all internals.

Both of my previous pregnancies were more stressful for me in the final weeks because I just *lived* for news on the status of my cervix. It made waiting so much harder and I felt foolishly disappointed if I hadn't made any "progress" since the week prior.

We'll see how strong my resolve is at 39 or 40 weeks but for now--no internals for me
#6 of 19 Old 05-26-2005, 11:43 PM

I have no idea. I am having a c-section, so they are not checking. I have been having contractions, but not bad enough to do anything about them.
#7 of 19 Old 05-27-2005, 12:46 AM

I am 37 weeks tomorrow and a few days ago my cervix was closed and long. Baby is head down but still up high. I swore at the beginning of this pregnancy I wouldn't have any internals until I went over 40 weeks... but I caved already. I didn't start to dilate last time until I went into labor and I had a really quick labor.
#8 of 19 Old 05-27-2005, 04:06 AM

i agree with pepper, its hard to resist, but nothing thinking about the numbers is probebly best, as you can be 4 cm open for weeks, or closed tight and deliver tommorow.
i say that, but i am jeolous of the women who get weekly fun news with stats hehe
(my midwife wont do them either as they see each internal as a potential - disruption)
#9 of 19 Old 05-27-2005, 09:30 AM
mcs

I am having a scheduled c-cection, but it makes me somehow more curious. I know for sure that the edd is the real dd, but i still want to make sure that she is ready to come. Though it isn't always a true indicator, it seems like it would feel good to know my body is preparing...unless it said nothing....

All of that said, i did not have my mw check, though she was willing, at my last appt. It was an impulse decision. oh well....mcs

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#10 of 19 Old 05-27-2005, 09:48 AM

I had an OB appointment yesterday. I am 39 weeks today. All the doc did was check heartbeat (really good), and measured (ok i guess). My vitals were great. She said, "see you next week".

I'm kind of suprised. I would have thought an internal would be called for by now. I have to admit, I am curious. I don't need anything to obsess about though.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#11 of 19 Old 05-27-2005, 10:31 AM

hang on a sec... lemme check...
#12 of 19 Old 05-27-2005, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper

Both of my previous pregnancies were more stressful for me in the final weeks because I just *lived* for news on the status of my cervix. It made waiting so much harder and I felt foolishly disappointed if I hadn't made any "progress" since the week prior.

With Sam, it was December 23 that my OB proclaimed me to be between 2 & 3 cm, and 75% effaced, and "well, looks like you're having a christmas baby...I'm on call tonight..." etc etc.

Samantha was born January 18th.

I spent almost an entire month thinking I was having a baby at any minute. It was so stressful, and so unnecessary, and so pointless for her to have told me that, especially as a first time mom that was just DYING to meet her baby.

What did I learn from that?
Being dilated means NOTHING for me unless I'm actively in labor.
:LOL
#13 of 19 Old 05-27-2005, 10:56 AM

No internals for me either, but I actually broke out my records last night from my last two pregnancies--the page where they put your fundal height/bp/dilation.
At this stage I was 80% 2-3, then at 37 and 38 weeks I was still 80 and a good 3 cm. I think when I went in to be induced at 38 weeks the hospital said I was 3-4 cm. I believe I was -2 station for a few weeks.
I can feel the baby's head above my pubic bone so she's way up there, probably like -10 and definitely balottable lol!!! I can barely reach my cervix but have tried. Feels pretty soft. That's about all I can say. Feels a little flat too like a squished tastykake donut. Hm.... maybe I need to go to 7-11....
I wish dilation/effacement could predict how easy (or the length anyway) your labor will be but it doesn't. In my case things went super fast, 3 hours from water breaking to baby. But if you read the stories (I think Fey's sister had this happen?), some go in at 4 cm and then do nothing. However, there are a ton of factors obviously.
Numbers play a huge game with my head so I'm trying to avoid them as well.
Take care!
Karen
#14 of 19 Old 05-27-2005, 11:03 AM

What does ballotable mean?

And yeah, my sis was 4 when she went in at 6am, 4-5 at 11am when her waters were broken, and still not past 5 two hours later:\

Also I thought I wrote this last night but I guess I didnt? Anyhoo, I would probably feel less good about cervical checks at weekly appointments if I wasn't progressing, but as it is I've been going about a centimeter a week so it's fun. I am planning on getting checked when I go to the hospital, then refusing to be checked again until I feel the desire to push, because hearing that you have made no progress dilating in labor really does have a devastating effect, as I saw yesterday with my sister
#15 of 19 Old 05-27-2005, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamohumm6
With Sam, it was December 23 that my OB proclaimed me to be between 2 & 3 cm, and 75% effaced, and "well, looks like you're having a christmas baby...I'm on call tonight..." etc etc.

Samantha was born January 18th.

I spent almost an entire month thinking I was having a baby at any minute. It was so stressful, and so unnecessary, and so pointless for her to have told me that, especially as a first time mom that was just DYING to meet her baby.

What did I learn from that?
Being dilated means NOTHING for me unless I'm actively in labor.
:LOL
Emmy, I literally gasped when I read that! That must have been sheer torture. I mean, it's hard enough waiting for your due date but to be told by an ob that you'll have your baby in the next day or two and then to have to wait weeks....

Another reason I'm wary of them is that I'm pretty sure that my ob did a membrane stretch + sweep on me when I was 37 weeks (1st pregnancy). It was a really uncomfortable exam, very rough, and when I got home I lost some plug and had some bleeding...one day later my water broke. It's still upsetting to think that she did that without my knowledge but it happens.

I did get internals last time starting around 36 weeks but each exam was prefaced with, "Please only gently check the cervix--nothing else!!".

And yeah, what is ballotable??? Never heard that term before.
#16 of 19 Old 05-27-2005, 01:28 PM

Ballotable... does that mean obviously not engaged? It can still be moved around? Just what I got from context.
#17 of 19 Old 05-27-2005, 02:08 PM

Wow...it is so weird to read about other mamas expecting in June getting close to birth. I'm 35 weeks 2 days. sigh. :LOL
#18 of 19 Old 05-27-2005, 02:30 PM

Have no idea. I could have had my MW check yesterday, but I told her I don't really want to know until 40 weeks (or later). Since this is my first baby, I'm most likely going to go over and didn't want to get my hopes up now. I also don't feel like anything is happening yet.
#19 of 19 Old 05-27-2005, 03:25 PM

38 weeks here. 2cm and a little more than 50% effaced. I've been this way for at least two weeks though. My OB stripped my membranes on Tuesday and I lost my mucos plug yesterday, however I have not had any signifigant contradtions.

The number game drives me crazy too, but I can't help wanting to know. I wen tthrough similar things (as some other moms have shared) with ds. I walked around dilated for a month, one day I went to the hospital because of contractions and the y said I would have the baby the next day and he didn't come for two more weeks!

So I try not let the numbers affect me one way or the other. But it's hard.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page