postpartum mamas, how are you? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 126 Old 06-25-2005, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Selena, I saw that about Istra's heart in your blog and have been thinking about you guys - I am glad to hear that it seems to be ok. What a lot of stress to go through so soon after birth!
#62 of 126 Old 06-25-2005, 07:12 PM

I think I'm developing a case of mastitis. Left breast is very sore and has red streakies on it... I'm going to take it easy this weekend, drink lots of fluid, do lots of nursing, and if it's worse on Monday or before, I'm going to go to the doctor. I hope it goes away without medical attention, not sure if that can actually happen or not... but here's hopin.
#63 of 126 Old 06-25-2005, 07:23 PM

Fey, do you know all the tricks to drain a clogged duct?
Selena, glad to hear Istra's heart is ok.
#64 of 126 Old 06-25-2005, 07:26 PM

Emmy, all I know is to massage it while expressing/nursing, use warm water beforehand... anything else?
#65 of 126 Old 06-25-2005, 09:29 PM

Depending on where the duct is located, yes..where is the sore spot? You can use different nursing positions that are better for draining certain areas of the breast.
#66 of 126 Old 06-25-2005, 09:50 PM

It's on the underside on the right/center side of my left breast... and there is red streakyness on the areola above that part too I've been switching between cradle and football... I'd just been doing cradle for the past few weeks.
#67 of 126 Old 06-25-2005, 10:24 PM

I have a plugged duct right now, too. Ow. Not mastitis, I don't think. I did have a low fever last night and I feel so tired.
Try nursing over your baby. It's uncomfortable and ackward, but on your hands and knees over babe. Gravity can help drain the breast and dislodge a plug. www.kellymom.com is a great site, if you haven't found it already.
#68 of 126 Old 06-26-2005, 01:55 PM

Yeah I thought it was headed towards mastitis cause I felt so crappy yesterday, but don't feel worse today so hopefully it's just a clogged duct... I've been nursing as much as I can get baby to. Hope it clears up, ugh:\ I haven't yet tried the hands and knees thing...
#69 of 126 Old 06-26-2005, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

I second Davina's suggestion in a big way. I had a plugged duct with my last baby and put baby in bed, leaned over her on all fours and nursed her while massaging the plugged duct area. It worked amazingly and cleared up immediately.

It's a really silly position and felt weird but it worked. I hope you feel better soon.
#70 of 126 Old 06-26-2005, 06:22 PM

Hey guys, I miss you all something awful! I am starting to feel like a human again, after ten days of ppartum. And I'm not having ppd, which I was incapacitated with last time. We are sleeping ok, but ds seems to be a tad reflux-y. I hope I'm wrong. It's the pits, especially after dd never spit up but once her whole infancy
#71 of 126 Old 06-26-2005, 08:09 PM

:LOL I tried the dangle position for nursing and it just did NOT work. I don't know if it takes practice or what but I couldn't get it. Tried all manner of variation in position, both mine and the babes, tried it with pillows... either I couldn't get her latched on right or I couldn't hold the position.

Last night I did not have a fever. Now I'm running 100.1 :\ Go away, clog, go away!

Good to hear from you bamamom. I haven't had any ppd.. yet.. something I was somewhat worried about. But so far, pretty good. I can't imagine how much more difficult this period would be with it. It's already hard, and Elaina is a pretty easy baby. I'm definitely still quite hormonal... get upset pretty easily. But usually not over nothing; last night it was because I was so tired and in pain from the stupid duct and Elaina would not go to sleep... second night in a row she's been wakeful at bedtime, she's always gone right to sleep after nursing before this.

Anyhoo I am quite hungry so I'm gonna run and rustle up some grub.
#72 of 126 Old 06-27-2005, 10:10 AM

fey! I hope your clog clears up soon. That's no fun. Do you have the LLL book? If not I can look up plugged ducts for you and post what it says to do, just in case there's anything that other people haven't suggested?

Thanks for thinking of us and Istra's little heart. She's doing really well and I'm pretty confident that it will all amount to nothing.

I'm with you all on the feeling weepy mostly due to lack of sleep but also on the look out for ppd. I'm not sure if I'm in the clear--when is it probably too late to develop ppd? For a few days I was feeling pretty crazy, but that was just because Istra's gas was keeping us all up. Weirdly she does now seem to understand when bedtime is because she usually goes to sleep after nursing at bedtime when she doesn't during the day. It's probably because we're all in the bed together and she feels cozy and safe and just drifts off. I couldn't imagine what a hassle it would be to try to get her to sleep in a crib. Ick!
#73 of 126 Old 06-27-2005, 02:57 PM

Selena, about ppd, I had it and it escalated because no one caught it. dd was nine months old before I caught it after reading a book. I have been super careful this time, and have only caught myself a little weepy a couple of times, and the midwives are watching me closely. I was nearly suicidal last time, but dd wasnever in any danger.

How's everyone else doing?

Fey, no sleep is so hard!!
#74 of 126 Old 06-27-2005, 05:43 PM

We had our 2 week appointment today. Cully has gained 2 lbs since his 48 hour check-up, and is now an even 9lbs. Hard to believe, he'll be a month old before he meets his sister's birth weight
We had to do the heel-stick again for the infant screening test. :
we did it at 48 hours, and it sucked...and the sample was unuseable. I wasn't going to get it redone, but I asked around MDC and everyone seemed to agree that it was a necessary test, so I decided to redo it today--but told the nurse I wanted a phlebotomist that was more familiar with it to do it. I said "I'll do it twice, but I will NOT do it three times."
It was MUCH easier this time--it took her 2 minutes to fill the four circles with blood, as opposed to the half-hour it took last time. I think the "stick" wasn't deep enough last time--they had to milk his little leg/foot for blood
I nursed him while they did it, and he was pissed, but did ok.

Also, we have to go back in anothor 3 weeks because she still can't find his testes. One is in there, but not dropped, and the other one is missing altogether. He has fluid in his scrotum, but no hernia it seems, which is what she was more concerned about. We may have to have an ultrasound done if they don't show up in 3 weeks.

Other than that, he is doing just great!
#75 of 126 Old 06-27-2005, 07:54 PM

Emmy, my brother had issues with his testicles not descending. The md gave my mom some exercises to do with him in warm water and that helped to get them descended. He was older, though, I wanna say a year or so, when all this happened. If you're interested, I'll ask mom if she can remember what exercises she did with him.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#76 of 126 Old 06-27-2005, 08:23 PM

Sharon, that would be great. Probably too early for right now, but I'd like to have them under my belt. Thanks!
#77 of 126 Old 06-28-2005, 02:07 PM

Hi Mamas,

I miss you all a lot. I have been very and tired. It feels like all I do is feed Jean-Luc. I miss having a little time to myself. He's been taking a nap for almost 2 hours now, and I feel like this is the longest break I've had since he's been born. I have had a lot of trouble with breastfeeding because he had a misaligned jaw that was causing him to basically gum me to death. Having never nursed before, I just assumed that was what it was supposed to feel like, but when I started watching him he looked uncomfortable to me, so we took him to this incredible chiropractor, and it turns out my instinct was right and his little jaw just couldn't open properly. We had a great--pain free--nursing session at her office, had good ones at home that night, but 4 days later, I feel like we're back to square one. Not totally, but maybe more like square 2. It's not as bad as it was, but I'm still feeling pain, and having had the experience at the dr's office, I know I don't have to. Trouble is, I don't know how to fix it. We have a follow-up appt. today, so I'm really hoping we get it figured out. I want the chiro to move into our house for a couple of days until he gets the nursing down pat!!

Okay, gotta run--baby's crying for me.

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you all a lot...hoping all is well with everyone's health and their babes' as well!!

Don't know when I'll be logging in again!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#78 of 126 Old 06-28-2005, 07:41 PM

Fabienne, so sorry to hear about how hard it is now. first babies really take a toll on you, but it does get better, I promise!
#79 of 126 Old 06-29-2005, 01:52 AM

I hope the chiro was able to help out again!
#80 of 126 Old 06-30-2005, 10:21 AM

Here's a TMI question. :

In the shower last night, I got curious, and veeeeeeeeery carefully tried to feel my cervix...which was super easy, since it was BARELY a knuckle deep :

Um, why is that, and is that normal???? I am the kegal queen.
#81 of 126 Old 06-30-2005, 11:16 PM

Emmy, I have no idea but I think mine is really low though I don't have the courage to check : ...not ready to deal with that part of my body yet!

Do any of you know the first sign of thrush? Haven't had a chance to read up on it and since last night I've had a burning sensation when dd nurses but there's no white stuff on her tongue.
#82 of 126 Old 07-01-2005, 03:21 AM

#83 of 126 Old 07-01-2005, 09:46 AM

I got thrush twice with my first son. I never saw white stuff in his mouth, but my nipples would get really pink and sore. He would nurse differently too. I an't really explain how it was different , it was just different for him. I treated mine with baking soda and grapefruit seed extract. It worked really well.
#84 of 126 Old 07-01-2005, 02:39 PM

OMG I'm tired! Its still easier on me than DD was though! He is a much more layed back babe! Or maybe its that I am more layed back. HMMMM?!

Its so much easier without people up my butt! While they are helpfull they are in the way! We really need to get used to taking care of both children alone and these people get in the way ruin our schedule and just cause more chaos! Not to mention I have to entertain when I could be napping!

So this weekend I am taking DD and DS to a camp! I am excited but I know that this will be a challange! I hope I can talk DH into tagging along. He hates to go to my family functions!

Well I hope you all are doing well!
#85 of 126 Old 07-01-2005, 02:43 PM

I just posted an intro in the June 05 forum, but in case it doesn't get read...my son is 3+ weeks old, and i'm still looking 5 months pregnant. Is anyone else dealing with this?
Tara
#86 of 126 Old 07-03-2005, 01:57 PM

Nope, I tend to drop the weight fast and then it creeps slowly back up!!
#87 of 126 Old 07-03-2005, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

nak

omg, whatever you do, do NOT take a mirror and check out your crotch at 2 days postpartum. Especially if you have insane hemmorhoids from hell :

that region is completely unrecognizable!

tara, i'm sorry your body is taking its time getting back to shape everyone is different in how they recover....
#88 of 126 Old 07-03-2005, 05:21 PM
mcs

pepper- congratulations! and welcome to the postp pages!

mcs

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#89 of 126 Old 07-03-2005, 08:13 PM

I hear you on the crotch.
I didn't take a mirror to it but I was bathing and accidentally felt something weird. I thought something was prolapsed but I'm just swollen on the inside. The outer regions look the same although the part with the hair (who knows what the heck it's called and who cares) is kind of puffy and old lady like.
My poor sister--she had her baby early this morning and didn't have any drugs. I was all waiting to talk to her about an empowering experience and instead it sounds like she may be scarred for life from the horror.
Turns out her midwife didn't offer (of course) but then she didn't ask... I think she was in labor land and just never asked. The good news is that it sounds like her midwife was by her side the entire time.
She had been using a group of doctors but didn't like the kind of attention she was getting (none.). She switched about 2 weeks ago. I'm wondering what kind of birth she may have had with the docs? However I think it's all working out because at this hospital they didn't require them to give up the baby where at the other it was "procedure" that they get the baby exactly an hour after to bathe, etc etc.
She also tore somewhere... she's extremely sore and when I went to visit her, she got out of bed and it looked like she had just had a c-section the way she was getting up out of bed and walking.
I feel somewhat responsible since I encouraged her to switch to a midwife.
Interesting factoid of the day though. She was due 10 days after me and we both had our babies 3 days prior to our due date. Actually she had hers 4 days after but only by 3 hours.
Anyhow please keep your fingers crossed for them. They're super tired and want to go home tomorrow but I think she's having a hard time learning to nurse... Luckily one of the nurses on staff is also an LC. Very lucky indeed!!!
Hmm other than that I'm waiting for my baby blues to come back on July 15 when my in laws come. No offense, MIL :LOL
Nursing is starting to get better but it's so frustrating when you know the initial latch will hurt like heck and the baby just plays with it for 5 minutes and the anticipation just is awful. Strangely enough the more hurt boob actually hurts less even though it looks worse than the other.
Must go eat!
Karen
#90 of 126 Old 07-03-2005, 08:16 PM

Tara,
I think that's a normal thing.
My good friend looked almost 9 months pregnant still the week after her son's birth; her belly took a very very long time to go down.
My sister on the other hand has a flat stomach already and gave birth this morning!
Mine went down fairly quickly but I think I still look about 12 weeks pregnant (I am about 11 days postpartum).
When my son was born I was back to my pre pregnancy weight in two weeks however I can't remember if my belly was still a bit round which is possible. At this point I'm waiting for my pubic bones to come back together so I can put on some regular shorts for goodness sakes. Every day I get one more notch up the zipper lmao!!!!
I actually thought about taking postpartum belly pics just for fun, but decided it was a little weird.
Good luck!
Karen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page