7lbs 7oz
21 inches
champion nurser!

story very shortly
#2 of 23 Old 06-11-2005, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yaaaaay emmy glad he decided to show up congrats!
#3 of 23 Old 06-11-2005, 07:59 PM

Congratulations Emmy!!!! You DID IT!

Welcome baby Cullen : We have all been waiting for you, baby boy!

Emmy, I am so happy for you. It sounds like you did an awesome job of staying home and the 3 hours at the hospital before he was born sounds pefect to me. How great is it that you are home already??!!

I knew you must have had him because you didn't check in this morning Well, rest and take care and I can't wait to hear his birth story with no details left unspoken (when you are up to it, of course!).

Big hugs to you, mama.
#4 of 23 Old 06-11-2005, 08:01 PM

Yeah! I'm so glad you got the birth you wanted! And now you have your little boy to hold!!!
Congratulations!!!

--Grace
#5 of 23 Old 06-11-2005, 08:23 PM

emmy!! been thinking about you all last night and today im so glad your little guy decided to show up. Can't wait to hear all about it when you are feeling up to it and have a chance. I'm so happy for you mama
#6 of 23 Old 06-11-2005, 09:01 PM

Congratulations Emmy Glad to hear everything went well! Welcome Cullen
#7 of 23 Old 06-11-2005, 09:03 PM

Congratulations!!! Sounds like you did a great job deciding when to go in to the hospital.
#8 of 23 Old 06-11-2005, 10:43 PM

congratulations emmy - the wait is over!
: cullen!!

can't wait to hear your birth story
#9 of 23 Old 06-11-2005, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all
So here's the story. Alex is currently learning the "baby bouncy walk" with the baby, who does NOT like to be off the boob for more than 10 minutes at a time :LOL

So I posted last night around 9, contractions were there, but not really doing much. Not very painful, not regular or patterned at all. We went to bed around 11, after I decided nothing was going on. Well, after I lay down, they started becoming pretty strong--I had to breathe through them in bed, and moved my birthing ball into the bedroom. They were still really far apart. The birthing ball wasn't really doing it for me, and I kept feeling like I had to pee, so I was in the bathroom half the night. The longer I sat on the toilet, the more mucus plug I lost, AND it actually felt good to be there--I was leaning back on this rack I have over the toilet, and I finally just shut the light off and sat there for a while trying to relax.
At this point, the contractions picked up to being between 3 & 4 minutes apart, and still being 10 minutes apart. So, I decided to check myself--at first, I couldn't tell---everything was mush. THEN, it occured to me that part of the "mush" was a bulging bag of water, and I found my cervix, and guessed around 4/5 cm.
I woke up Alex (who I left sleeping all this time, because I really wasn't in incredible pain & didn't need "help" yet) and told him what I thought, and told him I thought we should go to the hospital just in case. I was pretty sure I would end up going home, but we went anyway.

Alex called the midwife, I got in the shower. We left at 3:10, got there at 3:19. We parked in the hospital garage, and then couldn't get in--the two main entrances were locked. I was standing outside the hospital leaning against the door haviing contractions, while Alex buzzed, got no one, then called the hospital. We ended up walking around the hospital to go in the emergency room entrance :LOL

Got up to L&D, my midwife couldn't find my chart. She said she would go look, but based on my contractions, asked if she could check me & I said yes. I was *8* cm (!!!!!!!), 100% effaced and he was at +1. I asked if I was right about the bulging bag, she said yes.
I had to get monitored for 20 minutes, but I was able to move around, hands & knees, etc. Then, I got in the jacuzzi and MAN was that awesome. My midwife & the L&D nurse just hung out and let us do our thing. I was on the toilet again for a bit, and thought my water broke--so she was monitoring his heartrate every 15 minutes, but I didn't have to get out of the tub for it. Alex was AWESOME. We were kinda giddy that we were so, so close, and we were LAUGHING and cracking jokes between contractions. TRANSITION contractions!! He held me up in the pool, knew exactly how to rub my back, and even held up my head for me when I was hanging over the edge of the tub. He was absolutely amazing, and I couldn't have done it without him. He kept telling me how great I was doing, and how close we were. Some of the contractions were "breathable", and some of them had me kind of yelling and getting a little freaked out. I told them I needed to push, so got out and started pushing on the toilet. I kinda went back & forth between the toilet, squatting using the bathroom sink, and asked for the squat bar to be set up. I pushed for about 40 minutes, but nothing seemed to work. It didn't feel "right" in any of the spots I tried, so the midwife checked me again, and there was a "lip" that was starting to swell. He was also posterior AND, the bag of water was still intact--it hadn' broken when I thought it had.
I kept saying I had to push, so she asked if she could "push back the lip" while I pushed, and I said yes. after about another 20 minutes or so of that, it still wasn't really working, so she had me lay on my left side and breathe through the contractions instead of pushing. Honestly, I didn't want to push at that point, but I did need to breathe really hard to get through them. After about three of those, she did a quick check and told me to push when I wanted--the lip was gone. So, I did! I kind of never got "coordinated" with the pushing, and was a little out of sorts with it, but I stayed on my left side (she thought he would spin better--my hands & knees weren't doing it for me). I held my leg up, and was LOUD. :LOL I really wanted him out--I remember pushing with Sam, but I had no idea how little sensation I had with pushing her out. I had the epi turned off with her, but I only remember a little pressure, NOTHING like this. I was grunting like crazy, and actually hurt my throat. My high point was yelling "I NEED TO GET HIM OUT OF ME NOW". Have to laugh now, but I was thoroughly unhappy.

So, as he came down and started to crown, my midwife broke my water, and it was about 10 minutes before he was out. HELLO ring of fire!
He was put on my belly right away (I mentioned how slippery he was) and he was so little compared to what I thought he was--7 lbs 7 oz (we found out later). After about 20/30 minutes, we cut the cord, and the rest is baby bliss.
No GBS issues--they had to actually draw blood, so I consented to the vitamin K, he was with us for 2 hours before the bath & all that stuff.

Problem was--the hospital was knee deep in babies that day. They had NO postpartum rooms. We were in the L&D room until noon (he was born at 6:12 am, with AC/DC "It's a Long Way to the Top if You Wanna Rock & Roll playing on the stereo :LOL), and then they moved us to a freaking antepartum TESTING room (where I had the non-stress on thursday!) It was terrible--no bathroom, tv/radio, small, stuff...just awful.
A nurse was keeping us updated, and said something about going home--which I didn't think was an option--and we jumped at it. We got his hearing test done, and were out of there at 4:30! I felt GREAT. Honestly, it was so easy (except for pushing), I kept saying I felt like I had "cheated".
He is adorable, we're in love, you know how it goes He nurses like a champ, and is very sleepy today. He barely cried after birth. His apgars were 9,10.
Pictures tomorrow! It's so good to be home--but absolutely surreal that I gave birth 14 hours ago :LOL
#10 of 23 Old 06-11-2005, 11:54 PM

That is just an amazing birth story, Emmy. I can't believe how well you did arriving at the hospital at 8 cm. It actually happened very similarly to how you envisioned it would (not sure if you realized that yet!).

The pushing part sounded very tough, though.

It sucks about the recovery room mess but turned out well because you got to leave so early--I was wondering if you went AMA but apparently not!

I look forward to seeing him Thanks so much for the quick birth story And congratulations again to you and your family :
#11 of 23 Old 06-12-2005, 05:09 AM

oh what a fantastic birth story!! thats so how i want it to go for me hehe
except your ring of fire comment thats the bit i remeber....really well.....and the bit im dreading this time.
so glad your home so early and feeling well. rest up !
#12 of 23 Old 06-12-2005, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks
Not much sleep last night--he's still very mucusy and it REALLY ticks him off. Teaching him to nurse laying down. Oh, and his hands?? ALWAYS in his mouth :LOL

So much for being "overdue"...he looks just right to me, ped even said maybe a bit *early*.

Forgot--two tiny stitches for one small labial tear--I had to on each side, she said if it were just one, she wouldn't bother with stitches, but since they were opposite each other she recommended stitching one of them, so I said ok.
Don't really even notice them--I'm taking motrin for the *incredible* cramping I get when nursing, but that's it!
Just waiting for milk now.

Pics soon!
#13 of 23 Old 06-12-2005, 12:30 PM

Emmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG girl you are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to stay home so they couldn't mess with you!! ANd for going home early !! You are a champion birther no doubt about it!!
#14 of 23 Old 06-12-2005, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

#15 of 23 Old 06-12-2005, 02:55 PM

sounds like you did a great job emmy! it's crazy that they put you in a testing room!!

He looks like a sweet little guy
#16 of 23 Old 06-12-2005, 03:49 PM

Wow! Amazing story. And how interesting that he was like 3 pounds less than your daughter. Were they both born around the same gestation? (still obsessed with that subject).
I'm interested in this ring of fire thing. I had my son with no drugs, however didn't feel a ring of fire. To this day I think my ob numbed me somehow; I remember seeing a syringe in her hand shortly before he crowned and was born but you'd think I'd feel something like that regardless. Who knows!
Everyone should be so lucky to be kicked out of the hospital
How zen was it to be in the bathroom on your own doing what you needed to do until you felt you needed to go to the hospital? That must have been pretty cool.
Congrats to you and your family!!!
Karen
#17 of 23 Old 06-12-2005, 03:53 PM

Congrats!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#18 of 23 Old 06-12-2005, 04:08 PM

Awesome birth!! I"m so glad you were able to stay home all that time! Sounds like a good overall hosp. experience, as far as being able to use different positions, jacuzzi, not monitored constantly- very encouraging! Except for the not getting a room part of it- but that let you go home earlier so hooray!! He is so tiny and cute
#19 of 23 Old 06-12-2005, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again

Karen--Cullen was supposedly 8 days late (due June 3), Sam was 10 days late. Sam was just enormous compared to Cullen--and she had more signs of being overdue (meconium, retaining water, NO vernix....Cullen had none of those, and had vernix in his neck still).
#20 of 23 Old 06-13-2005, 12:49 AM

EMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm SOOO excited for you! I took a break from being online for a couple of days b/c I'm really feeling crabby about still being pregnant, but reading your story TOTALLY lifted my spirits. I was picturing you trying to get into the locked up hospital and LOL. Cullen is beautiful, and I love his name; it reminds me of the poet Countee Cullen.

Anyway, I hope I'll be posting a story in the next few days. It's hard not to feel like everything is going to go wrong and they'll have to induce me, but I remember you were dealing with the same feelings not too long ago, and now you are holding your little angel...

Please send some of those birthing vibes my way

Hugs to you all!
#21 of 23 Old 06-13-2005, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Fabienne, I was really thinking of you when I wrote this, and hoping it would lift your spirits a bit--all it takes is a few good hours of cramps and whammo--you can go from having NO signs of birth, to having a baby. I was so unhappy Wednesday/Thursday...crying, hating my body, just completely dejected. I'm telling you, go have a good cry and maybe that'll swing things into gear. Or, as my midwife said to me Saturday, "scheduling an induction is a really good form of natural induction. Once they get the eviction notice, they tend to come out." :LOL

I'm thinking of you, and hoping to read about your little one soon
#22 of 23 Old 06-14-2005, 03:45 PM

What a great birth story and a gorgeous boy! Congrats!
#23 of 23 Old 06-19-2005, 11:20 AM

Sorry for taking so long to congratulate you on Cullen's birth! You did amazing... and I love his name!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page