Griffin Edwin arrives! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-03-2005, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Griffin Edwin arrived at 2:47 PM July 1, 2005. Weighing 7 lbs 14 oz and 21" long.

We had some complications, but everything turned out fine. Turned out that he had the cord around his neck twice and that's why we he was posterior. There was meconium in the waters because of that. And my labor just didn't go correctly because he stayed posterior until the very end and his head was (can't remember the right word) at the wrong angle. I was in active labor for about 22 hours I guess...and I think about 36 hours of total labor. The contractions were just never right, they were clustering. I had them 2 minutes apart most of the time for the whole active labor. And they said the pain I was experiencing was much more severe than normal because of it all. So, after being at the birth center for about 12 hours I was transferred to the hospital. I was there for about 5 hours before giving birth. Though I'm still a bit foggy about the timing of it all...have to figure that out more.

By the time they transferred me I was just delerious. My midwife came with me and stayed the whole time. She was amazing. She recommended I get an epidural. And knowing that was the last thing she would recommend normally, I just listened to her. And I think going to the hospital was the right decision because we didn't know all that was going wrong and we probably wouldn't be ok if we hadn't gone. I got the epidural and then had it turned off and let it wear off a lot to push. So, I was still able to deliver vaginally, and no forceps or anything like that. They took the baby away at first because of the cord and meconium. And he was in the NICU for a little while. But they brought him back to me after a few hours and he's fine. I have severe bruising because of his position. And stitches because the OB gave me an episiotomy even though I said "no" to one. But I'm feeling really good considering it all. And they let us go home early from the hospital.

And we're doing great at home. He's a nursing champ! And he's very alert and interested in the world. He has the most beautiful strawberry blonde hair. Everyone who's seen him just exclaims over his hair. And it was just love at first sight. During labor I longed to die because the pain was so bad, but I would go through it all again for him!

I will post a more complete birth story later. It was a very long labor, so it will be a long story! And I'll try to post some pictures too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 07-03-2005, 06:50 AM

Congratulations!!!
#3 of 15 Old 07-03-2005, 11:00 AM

Wow what an ordeal! I'm so happy for you that you made good choices and managed to have (somewhat) the kind of birth you'd want (i.e. letting epi wear off so you could feel and push). You really made the right decision to go to the hospital. Congratulations to you all!! Kitty
#4 of 15 Old 07-03-2005, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations! I'm sorry things didn't go exactly as planned, but it sounds like you made the best decision you could!
#5 of 15 Old 07-03-2005, 12:06 PM

Congratulations!! Sounds llike things went very well, despite a few complications. Glad you and Griffin are doing well, here's to quick healing!!
#6 of 15 Old 07-03-2005, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! When my midwife said I had to be transferred I felt like such a failure. It was so hard. But after the birth when they explained why they transferred me and all what happened I realized that it went the way it had to. I wish I'd gotten to experience a normal labor though. It's weird now to look back on trying to deal with it, thinking it was normal, then later being told that I shouldn't have been feeling such severe pain. I'm amazed at how well I handled it considering that. Part of it is still so foggy. But I remember it got to this point where the pain changed and I felt like something was wrong. And I remember my midwives looking at each other with these worried looks on their faces. I didn't understand what was going on. But they made the right descision for me. I was really out of my mind at that point. OK...I'm just rambling now. Very tired. Griffin cluster fed for 4 hours last night. But now my milk is in. All is well.
#7 of 15 Old 07-03-2005, 02:23 PM

NightOwl, first a huge CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of your healthy son, Griffin!!

I also had a labor and birth that had some complications that warranted a few things I didn't plan on (efm, cord being cut before I wanted) but I am trying to keep inmind that we cannot always plan out birth--it happens the way it happens and the best we can do is to make decisions during it that will best benefit our baby's health and our own health.

I am so glad you had your supportive midwife there to help you and that your trust in her made your decisions easier--that is so key!

Take your time to process it and don't think too much about it right now, there is plenty of time for that later. For now, rest rest rest, take care of yourself and enjoy your beautiful new son

Congratulations mama! You did GREAT!
#8 of 15 Old 07-03-2005, 02:31 PM

Congratulations and good job! Taking birth in stride, even when it takes us by surprise helps us grow!! You are a champ!
#9 of 15 Old 07-03-2005, 05:26 PM

Congratulations NightOwl!! I'm sorry you had to go through such a tough labor but I am very glad it turned out okay and that Griffin is safely here!
#10 of 15 Old 07-03-2005, 08:54 PM

Congratulations! I love the name Griffin!
#11 of 15 Old 07-04-2005, 01:17 AM

Congrats! It sounds like you did an amazing job considering everything you went through!
#12 of 15 Old 07-04-2005, 01:54 PM

nightowl - sounds like you got a beautiful result from a scary situation - so glad you & griffin are both well - big congratulations mama - well done!!
#13 of 15 Old 07-04-2005, 11:07 PM

Like Pepper says, rest and cuddle your babe and know you can sort through details of a complicated birth later. After planning a birth-center, all-natural birth with my first and ending up with an emergency c-section, I took a long time (two years maybe) to fully understand the birth and what it meant for me in the big picture. I now remember the birth very fondly and feel a sweet loving and warm feeling about that day, even though at the time I was so demoralized and distressed. Baby love helps getting through all the more difficult memories! You gotta love that prolactin.
#14 of 15 Old 07-05-2005, 05:39 PM

Congratulations! I can't wait to see pics!
#15 of 15 Old 07-05-2005, 11:17 PM

I know how you feel! Today it dawned on me that I DELIVERED A 9 POUND BABY VAGINALLY and I realized that I've been beating myself up over the epidural...but I still did it! And we will come to peace with our births as we gaze at our babes...it is all worth it.
Congrats!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page