What can YOUR baby do??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-08-2005, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Apparently mine can make uncut diamonds with the fat folds in her neck. I'm serious! I found one today. It fell on the floor though and now I can't find it. She's like the goose who lays the golden eggs!
Speaking of which she hasn't pooped in over a day; this happened once before and if all goes like last time tonight she'll be feeling better. I don't even have a thermometer so I can't do that trick : I don't really want to yet I do because she's been really fussy today.
So speaking of fussy I was trying to print a stamp with stamps.com for this package I had to send for an ebay person. I left out a piece of a mobile I sold. So I go to print the stamp and there was no paper in there before I put the stamp paper in, so when I went to print it, the printer started printing what my dad was trying to print yesterday. I also accidentally cancelled the print job for the stamp. D'OH!!!
Then I try again. The printer eats the stamp paper. Oh well, another $1.06 down the tubes. So I gave up because it's not worth $3.18. But really it is because when I go to the post office tomorrow that's what it will cost altogether to send this measly part of a mobile that I sold for a major mucho bargain. It was a real love mobile and I thought I'd get a good price for it but I think I only got like $7. Make that more like $3 with the extra mailing and ebay fees. GRR!! And to think I wanted that thing more than anything when my son was born. I suppose it serves me right seeing as how I think it was my mom who spent the $30 on it.
So fussy fussy fussy all day long and finally I decide I should try the sling even though my boobs aren't exactly calmed down yet. I was waiting for them not to hurt anymore. Well the other day I put the sling together so to speak and I know it was wrong and it feels VERY wrong but there was no time to watch the dvd or look at the paper. She went right to sleep and she's on me right now and I can type! I CAN TYPE!! Free at last!!! We'll see how long she actually stays in there and if it lasts more than a day. I have a Maya Wrap by the way.
Oh, the one thing that's driving me nuts is that my son wants to hold the baby as soon as she falls asleep from a crying fit. Talk about driving me insane. I don't want to deny him yet a screaming baby is one of the things that really bothers me. It's like I need them right away so I can calm them down. Know the feeling?
Last night I'm arranging all of my stuff upstairs... I have full blown mastitis now so I had brought up a little baggie with my antibiotics, set up my pump on the bed with a cold pack for the milk, put my two water bottles in my diaper basket (anyone else drinking a lot at night!?!?), etc etc. I hear the baby crying. I figure dh will pick her up. I don't know why I thought such a thing. I come downstairs and he's dead asleep on the sofa, mouth open and all, the baby beet red.
The best part is that after I'm doing all of this stuff that I really could have used help with, he is awake and alert and even comes upstairs to bed on his own accord and SORT OF helps with my son.
I can't really say I know what it's like to be a single mom; that would be very unfair to those who are. But there are times where I just do it all minus being the breadwinner and it's very difficult. I have to say it helps you learn how to prioritize and do more than one thing at a time and that's good to know how to multitask, but geez!! Especially since I was really sick yesterday. I even had dh call my mom to ask her if she could not go to work so she could stay with us. Don't get mastitis girls. Please don't. It's miserable.
Because I don't have a regular doctor or an ob, I called the pediatrician to see if she'd call me in some antibiotics. She actually gave me a hard time about it but did call it in for me. There's more to the story than that but take my word for it, I hung up the phone feeling like I had done something wrong. You'd think that a pediatrician would want to help in a situation like that seeing as how I'm feeding a KID. I know I should have someone for me, but sometimes people just don't, ya know?
Other than mastitis I think things are getting better nursing wise. I don't understand how blood blisters/sores on your nipples can heal when they're constantly getting moisture on them but I'm hoping that at least one of them seems to be shrinking and I'm feeling it less on the latch. I also had my LLLL friend over today and she showed me a different way to get her to latch which seemed to work. Not sure what it's "called" but basically having her way below the nipple so she has to reach up to get it and that way her chin is up and the nipple is pointing at the roof of her mouth.
We also discovered she has no frenulum below her tongue. Not sure if I posted that here or not! I can't find too much info about it; I was worried it might be a charachteristic of a disorder since usually something is missing and that would be the characteristic of x disease, etc. I only found one thing and it didn't seem to fit her, but then again she is a newborn. I may post on their support forums to see.
ANYWAY!!
Sorry that was so long but you all know me Plus it's been a few days since I've been able to really sit down.
Congrats to all the new mommas!! Are we done yet? I may have to lurk on July because it was really exciting last month. Someone on there had a 10lb 15 oz baby... and I would imagine she wasn't post dates since we're in the first week of July for the most part! 2 hour labor too. See that's what I wanted but instead I got a 4-ish hour labor and an 8 lb baby. I won't hold it against her :LOL
Take care!
Karen
#2 of 12 Old 07-09-2005, 10:41 AM

ah karen you crack me up :LOL

Sorry to hear about the mastitis and that your dh isn't much help - know the feeling, yep i do.
#3 of 12 Old 07-09-2005, 10:59 AM

Popping in from the August board...

*hugs*

Hope the mastitis is better soon.

I can relate to the "doing it all yourself" too!
#4 of 12 Old 07-09-2005, 03:06 PM

My dh is the same way. Grrr... he was awesome the first week, then when he had to go back to work, it's like he forgot that I'd just had a baby. Now he is back to his regular suckfulness.
Hope your mastitis is cleared up. I had a touch of it for about a day. NOT fun at all. Ugh.
#5 of 12 Old 07-09-2005, 11:17 PM

Oh, and my baby can, evidently, stay awake for 5 hours b/c she's too tired to go to sleep and every time she dozes off one of the 3 boys (dh included) does something loud or obnoxious near her head to wake her back up.
#6 of 12 Old 07-10-2005, 02:09 AM

That's a big baby! My SIL just had her first on July 3rd, 9 days late. He was 9 lbs 2 oz and 20". 29 hours of labor (one for every letter in his name, Alexander Sebastian VanNostrand aka Lex) He'll be bigger than Ryan in no time I'm sure. We have his 2 month well visit on Monday. It'll be cool to see just how big he is now.
I can't believe it's been 2 months already! Going from one to two kids is such a huge adjustment! Anyone else finding it tricky to juggle both?
#7 of 12 Old 07-10-2005, 12:00 PM

Jillene, yes--and my first is 6 :, so I have it easier than most.

My baby can smile, pick his head up, and *almost* get his thumb in his mouth

It'd be cool if his neck folds made diamonds, though!!
#8 of 12 Old 07-10-2005, 12:15 PM

Elaina can hold her head and upper body up really well if I'm holding her upright, not so well if she's laying on her belly - guess that's harder?
#9 of 12 Old 07-10-2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamohumm6
It'd be cool if his neck folds made diamonds, though!!
:LOL :LOL

My baby has the uncanny ability to poop in a fresh, clean diaper just as she has fallen back to sleep in the middle of the night. Thus leaving her mom with the awful task of waking up a sleeping baby to change a poop : and then starting said sleep routine all over again. Sigh.

Never fails!

PS, Davina, I feel your pain, mama! My house is unbelievably loud, too.
#10 of 12 Old 07-10-2005, 01:21 PM

Hey, ya know what my baby can do that is totally awesome??? She can mimic my mouth movements. If I open my mouth, she opens her mouth. If I pucker my lips, she puckers her lips. It's amazing.

And, I have a lousy dog that continually wakes up the baby. Grrrrrrrr

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#11 of 12 Old 07-10-2005, 06:32 PM

Karen are you sure she doesn't have a frenulum?? Is it possible she's tongue tied and it's way under there so tight she can't lift her tongue for you to see it??? I have never heard of a baby with no frenulum!
#12 of 12 Old 07-10-2005, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sure! She can lift her tongue just fine and stick it out waaaaaaayyy out there. When she lifts her tongue, you can see a line under her tongue but nothing attaching it to the bottom of her mouth. It's really interesting. I'm wondering if it will evolve some how since it looks like it tried to be there but it isn't. I should try and get a pic of it for you all!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page