no poop for 3 days?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2005, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who was it who had this problem too? I can't remember!!
For a week all was well, then we had a day and a half of no poop. Then we had a blowout on the 4th of July. How appropriate!
Then since she hasn't pooped!!! I can't understand how a newborn would be constipated especially when she's breastfed. She's not dehydrated, she's peeing just fine... When she did poop it was regular boob poop.
She is more fussy than usual and farting a lot but NO POOP.
How do you do the thermometer trick? I tried it and nothing happened, but I may have been doing it wrong. I don't exactly want to keep putting things in my daughters rear ya know? So if there's a technique maybe that will help. I'll try googling now....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2005, 03:50 PM

So, how goes the poop? Hopefully she's not too uncomfortable.
Isn't it normal for breastfed babies to go several days b/t poops?
Old 07-10-2005, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well it's normal for them to go after every feeding! This is how my son was. I have been reading that this is normal, but haven't heard it was normal for a 2 week old yet, but some 4 week olds... I've read about them going a while.
I did the thermometer again yesterday and she pooped 3 diapers full. I hope from now on she just does it on her own because that's not something you want to become dependant on for sure. I guess also it could be normal for her so I don't want to disrupt what is normal anymore.. It's hard though because she seemed so uncomfortable. Afterwards she laid there like she had just been fed, really blissed out.
She did go last night in the middle of the night so that's encouraging!!!
Take care,
Karen
Old 07-10-2005, 06:14 PM

oh, guess i didnty think about the age thing, duh. glad she got some relief.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:00 PM

Karennnn - it was me!!!!

Let me know how its going - Abby just went twice today after 5 days of not going. I have done the thermometer, finger with rubber glove, and q-tip. Also found that gas medicine works for the fussiness and also slinging her everywhere. Never thought I would give my baby those gas drops, but I did and it really helped her feel better.

If you need more help, advice, support - let me know! It's been hard, maybe your babe won't take it as far as Abby has though.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

I knew it was Abigail but couldn't remember who she belonged to
5 days huh! I bet Shea would have gone 5 days as well. She just went again today but it was not that much. I just find it fascinating that some of these breastfed kids aren't pooping. Maybe we should consider ourselves lucky!!!
I've been slinging her a lot lately too. It makes her sleep sooo well. I need to really get used to it though so I can do more around the house with her in the sling. It kind of hurts my back a little (maya wrap) but I think I've mentioned before I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Must consult the dvd again.
We went out today to the dollar store and 3 or 4 people asked me what the sling was and if there was a baby inside. Everyone was really impressed! And a woman told me she used to carry around her daughter like that and her daughter is now 16. That's great considering 16 years ago not many people were doing ap stuff. The cashier wanted to see it when my husband was getting our stuff (I was nearby looking at something) and I showed her and she couldn't even form words lol. Then her manager was like "I was wondering what that was" or, in other words "I was wondering what you were stealing from the dollar store" :LOL
So I know this is totally on a tangent now but I wonder who may stop me in the future and try to say I was stealing!
But I do love the sling. I am sooo glad we got it. It's much easier than a stroller although it's nice to have the stroller to put stuff in. However I'm used to not having it so I guess I can carry my drink myself lol...
Take care,
Karen
Old 07-10-2005, 10:05 PM

I have the Maya wrap as well and it hurts my back. The issue for me is that she ends up hanging near my stomach and I think that is too low. There is a really cool store near me that has a sling class and they said you don't want the baby that low. I actually really want a new native carrier. I tried it on in the store and no back ache. I can't use the sling around the house, I have to go on a million walks a day when she is fussy. Thank goodness it hasn't been too hot around here!

With the pooping, for me it seems better when I nurse her on one side for a few hours (due to the overactive letdown) so she gets more hind milk. The LC said that the foremilk makes them gassy and doesn't make poop. Abby fills up on foremilk and air since she is gulping so fast to keep up with the flow.

I really hate the "Rectal Stimulation" prcedures. I know it seems a lot worse, but I do prefer using my pinky finger with rubber glove and a ton of vaseline (ped's advice) when I use my finger I can tell exactly how far to go, with the thermometer I can't really tell if I am going too far etc...ped said to go an inch to an inch and a half. Also, less invasive things - warm wet washcloth and massage her anus. Hasn't done anything for me but it sounds like Shea isn't waiting to go as long as Abby. Also sounds like the rectal stim is helping Shea a lot. I can't tell if it has any effect on Abby at all.

I did post about this on life with a babe and got a ton of responses that were really helpful. If I ever have a chance I will post the link to it.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:13 PM

Raina, I have the New Native and LOVE it. Clare sleeps in it constantly (as did my last baby, too). In fact, if she has nursed and can't sleep or is woken up by her rowdy sibs I put her in there and it's **Instant Sleep**.

I pretty much wear her non-stop throughout the day. I can do everything except dishes / load the dishwasher because I would keep banging her head on the counter if I did

I never even used a stroller with my last baby--slinged (slung?) everywhere. I would love to get a Wise Woman sling in a few months--they have a really cute stripey pattern that I've been eyeing...but for now the New Native is the way to go.

Glad to hear that Abby is pooping a bit more.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:19 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...96#post3393296

link to the posting on life with a babe.

User Tag List