Joining this forum and have a question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-08-2004, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I still can't believe it - but the test is positive! I'm nervous to start telling family, so this is a great place to talk about it!

I'm a longtime occassional lurker, and recently officially joined when I started cloth diapering my 19mo dd. I have gotten a lot of help from the diapering forum and I am so excited to be joining this area!

I was also wondering if any of you are planning to get the flu shot? I'm very leary of vaccines overall, but I also know how dangerous high temperatures can be during pregnancy (especially in the first trimester). We are going to be doing lots of travelling around the holidays and I always seem to get sick on airplanes so I really don't know what to do! I guess its just weighing the potential problems from the shot with the possibility of getting the flu and having high temperatures.

Any thoughts?
#2 of 7 Old 11-08-2004, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello! Congratulations!

Definately no flu shot here. For one, they dont even work. Second, they contain mercury which is not healthy for a mom to be (or anyone for that matter.) I would just wash your hands alot, up your Vit C intake, get plenty of rest, eat well, and have some oscillococcinum on hand.

Desiree

#3 of 7 Old 11-08-2004, 02:00 PM

Congrats. When are u due? I am due July 15th, 2005.
#4 of 7 Old 11-08-2004, 02:41 PM

I agree with desiree. Just have a lot of antibacterial wipes or hand soap with you and wash your hands constantly. If you were going to get the flu, it would most likely be by touching something.

And I thought getting the flu shot could actually give you the flu?

Mom to DD1 reading.gif (11) & DD2 shine.gif homebirth.jpg(7) & DS babyboy.gif  h20homebirth.gif (9/10/12)

#5 of 7 Old 11-08-2004, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I was really leaning towards not getting it, but my mom was really pushing me to get it, and I was just getting so nervous about it all Its nice to have people on the same side and hear the encouragement!

I don't think the flu shot can actually give you the flu - as long as you get the shot it is an inactivated virus. However, the flumist is a live virus so that would definitely not be recommended for pregnant women. If I would have gotten it, I would want to get the version without mercury (I think my doc has them available) - but its not an issue anymore, I'll just be using the sanitizer every few minutes on the plane!
#6 of 7 Old 11-08-2004, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No, you arent supposed to get the flu FROM the flu SHOT but alot of people I know get the flu anyways DESPITE the shot. Plus the reactions can include chills, fever, etc......which would be pretty darn close to having the flu anyways. The flu mist is a live virus though, I would avoid the places that give those too.

Even the mercury "free" vaccine still contains .004/25 mcg which IMO is too much, especially for a mom to be with a developing baby.

I just went on the plane a month ago and we didnt get sick at all.

I did get sick this week but just a cold. LOL

Desiree

#7 of 7 Old 11-09-2004, 03:07 AM

You cannot get the flu shot in your first trimester. And, by the time you are able to get the flu shot, the majority of the flu season will be over with.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page