Prayers, Please . . . UPDATED - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2004, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started spotting yesterday morning so I called my doctor. It is too soon to see a heartbeat, so they send me for a blood test.

My blood level came back at 547 yesterday, and the nurse said that she expected it to be at least double that. So, until we rule it out, it is considered an ectopic pregnancy and I have to see my OB on Monday at 1:30. If I have sharp pains or heavy bleeding, I need to go to ER.

Please think good thoughts for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2004, 06:33 PM

Holy cow! If they're considering this an ectopic, shouldn't you have an u/s like NOW???
Please be careful and if you have any pain whatsoever even if it's not sharp, get thee to an er.
I'm sorry to hear that this is happening I'll keep you in my prayers that there is still hope and that this isn't an ectopic.
Beta levels are so..... kind of unreliable. Without a beta from the very beginning it's hard to say what the range "should" be. They're only reliable when you have something to compare it to.
Take it easy,
Karen
Old 11-12-2004, 07:46 PM

Oh no!

I've never had an ectopic but I always thought they were pretty painful right from the start (or shortly thereafter). I'll be praying that this is nothing but PITA spotting.

Mom to DD1 reading.gif (11) & DD2 shine.gif homebirth.jpg(7) & DS babyboy.gif  h20homebirth.gif (9/10/12)

Old 11-12-2004, 09:08 PM

I have had an ectopic, and I don't see how they consider it an ectopic without a follow up beta to compare it to. Levels can vary widely for people. What color is your spotting and how much blood is there? I didn't have pain with mine right away, but I spotted all day everyday.

You are in my thoughts! Demand a vaginal ultrasound before they schedule any kind of invasive surgery. My doc automatically wanted to schedule a D&C for me without even doing an ultrasound. Good thing I refused. They work for you. Good luck and keep us updated. You can PM me if you want.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
Old 11-12-2004, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh mama! I am sorry you have to be worried. I hope its just a bit of spotting and doesnt mean anything. Hang in there!

Desiree

Old 11-12-2004, 09:55 PM

I am so sorry - but try to stay positive. I will be praying for you!
Old 11-12-2004, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani76
I have had an ectopic, and I don't see how they consider it an ectopic without a follow up beta to compare it to. Levels can vary widely for people. What color is your spotting and how much blood is there? I didn't have pain with mine right away, but I spotted all day everyday.
Thanks, my beta level was 53 a week ago Monday and then 97 a week ago Wednesday.

The spotting is dark brown and is very light. I only have it on the toilet paper when I wipe (sorry, TMI). It started yesterday morning and continues through right now.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-12-2004, 10:53 PM

I dunno, it all almost sounds pretty normal to me. You July mommas are at the stage where you could still have implantation spotting (hence the dark brown and not red).
When I m/c the blighted ovum it begain with pink spotting, not old brown blood.
I'm no doc but your betas don't sound too far off.. I mean, a week ago you weren't even in the hundreds. If you doubled every 48 hours.. let's see... 194 by Friday approx, then by Sunday 388, then Tuesday around 776.
Betas are supposed to double every two to THREE days, not two days as a rule. So if you doubled every three days you're still on the right track. Heck, even if it was "supposed" to double every two, you're not off by too much. Everyone is different.
Keep us updated and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Karen
Old 11-12-2004, 11:39 PM

Your beta numbers don't look bad. If it helps any, during my ectopic my first beta was 900 and the second 4 days later was 1400. So your numbers are doubling a lot more normally than mine were. Good luck!

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
Old 11-13-2004, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I am trying to remain positive and optimistic.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

We neded up going to Er on Saturday night due to more spotting and cramping. They couldn't see anything on the ultrasound, but my beta level was 1459 compared to 547 on Thursday, so that was good news.

We just got home from the OB and we saw the sac on ultrasound. We have another appointment on Wednesday next week to hopefully see the heartbeat.

Apparently, we found out we were pregnant mere days after becoming pregnant, so we are in for a long pregnancy.

Thanks everyone for your good thoughts and prayers.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:37 PM

That is great news! Not about the spotting and cramping but your levels sound SO good! Hopefully you will see that little heartbeat soon!

The wait is just excruciating - I know! We will keep praying for you and the little babe
Old 11-15-2004, 11:14 PM

Glad to hear your positive update! Please keep us posted!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:22 AM

i have been thinking aoubt you alot mama andi am soo happy to hear that your baby is in it's proper place

User Tag List