A little about yourself. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 87 Old 01-14-2005, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I'm Rachel and live with DH and DD just in the Paris suburbs - not too happy with that one - but hey hopefully we'll go back home (Scotland) within the next couple of years. This is babe number 2 due at the end of July and our little morning star is still nursing at nearly 2 and half years which I find rather draining and painful at the moment am hoping to wean on her cue - not sure how that's going to work, but think that we will end up being tandem nursers - that's a worry - anyone else thinking about that too?! I just can't see her stopping - she just doesn't want to at the moment. I sound really confused don't I??!!

We are delighted about this pregnancy and saw the babe for the first time a couple of days ago - it's just so reassuring that everything is going well. We are having a hospitalised birth but with an independent scottish midwife who I know will give me the natural birth that I really really want, I really don't trust the medical people here - they just don't seem to listen anyway that's a different story.

Congratulations to you all on your expectant arrivals.

Looking forward to our chats - I think MDC is the only thing that keeps me sane!
rachel

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 87 Old 01-17-2005, 09:59 PM

Hey all,

I've been lurking for awhile and am deciding to unlurk with an intro

I live in the SF Bay Area with my DH and DD, who just turned 2. The new bean is expected around July 26. DD came on time, so we'll see what happens with #2. I had a hospital birth with DD and am planning on it with #2 (I had postpartum hemorraghing issues so am wary of doing a home birth, although that would be cool). I'm really happy with my OB -- I think if I had a different OB, they would've insisted that I had a c-section after I was in transition for over 3 hours!

My first trimester tiredness and nausea (no vomiting) are tapering off, so I am quite happy about that. However, I am getting heartburn now, which started around the same time for me in my last pregnancy.

Glad to join you all!

Cathy
#63 of 87 Old 01-18-2005, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Rachel and Cathy!
Glad you two decided to introduce yourself! Thanks for De-Lurking...

Cathy, I'm not trying to push homebirth off on you or anything - but I have heard that for hem. after birth some shepards purse tincture or putting a piece of placenta under your tongue will take it right away. Sounds like you like your OB though so more power to you!
#64 of 87 Old 01-19-2005, 04:18 PM

Hi, I'm Nordic, and I live in Stockholm (yes, THE Stockholm in Sweden) with my dh and ds, aged 3.5.

I am an archaeologist by trade but have had trouble getting a job and am currently work PT as an assitant to a handicapped woman.

I am due around July 24 with our second child. It took us two years to get pg again, so this was a very happy surprise (we had just about given up).

I was posting on another pg board but started to feel rather out of place. It seemed like I was the only one there aiming for a natural birth and planning on co-sleeping. I dread to think what their views on breastfeeding a toddler would have been! So some of my friends at nursingmom.net suggested I come here.

And here I am...

edited for crappy grammar
#65 of 87 Old 01-19-2005, 04:37 PM

Wow, we're getting quite the international group here, aren't we? Sweden, France, New Zealand/Australia (right?), Canada, US. Where else have I missed? Super cool!

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#66 of 87 Old 02-15-2005, 09:30 PM

Hi Ladies ~

I've been lurking around lately, but I figured it was time to introduce myself. Hi, I'm Meghan. I'm about 17 weeks along. I'm pretty much sure that I know I conceived on the 24th of October - although I was coming off the pill and charting and I hadn't had a period. So, 266 since conception would put me at the 17th of July. At my midwife appointments, my fundus measurements corresponde nicely with how far I think I am.

Edited to add a little more about myself: I'm 23 and I just graduated in December with a BA in English Literature and a minor in Women's Studies. My man just graduated in May and we are expecting our first little one.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself since I'll probably be jumping in on some threads. Hope everyone is doing well!
#67 of 87 Old 03-13-2005, 04:16 PM

My name's Lisa. I'm married and live in North Vancouver, BC. I'm 36 and my EDD is July 14th (I'll be 37 by then).

This is my 6th pregnancy, and I'm the happy mom to an almost 12-year-old boy, and an almost 2-year-old daughter. Between the two, I had two miscarriages, followed by a divorce and remarriage, followed by one more miscarriage. When I got pregnant with my precious Emma, I was really quite terrified! But, I had my miracle baby in 2003.

Both my babies have been born by c-section - one emergency, and one scheduled, which was not my idea. I'm psyching myself up for a fairly major disagreement with my OB. I'm not quite ready to switch to a midwife, but the thought is definitely there.

After this one arrives (however that may be), I'd like one more, but my husband doesn't. However, he says that I'm more "hellbent" on having another than he is on not having another, so there may be four by the time I'm done.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#68 of 87 Old 03-17-2005, 03:07 PM

Hi! I introduced myself way back when, but haven't posted in months. I'm Dana, 31 years old and living in Arlington, MA. This baby is due around July 3, although my first was 16 days early, so I'm guessing it will actually be late June. My daughter is 3 1/2, and very excited about her baby brother!

We'll be giving birth at the same birth center that Miranda was born at, and hopefully actually make it there in time to get the tub filled up this time! I did consider a homebirth, but I really like the midwives there, so even though we've moved a little farther away (it'll be about a 20-25 minute drive), I'm comfortable going back there.
#69 of 87 Old 03-17-2005, 06:27 PM

Hi everyone,
This is my first post here. My name is Hilary, I am 19 and pregnant with my first (due late July). I am living in Austin, Tx but will be staying in Massachusetts for the summer to have the baby because both sets of the baby's grandparents live there and we want to be near them for the birth. Nice to meet you all.
#70 of 87 Old 04-13-2005, 01:47 PM

Hi there girls,
I'm also already lurking for quite a while here on the Mothering place but finally thought it's time to introduce myself!

My name is Val (short for Valesca -which hardly anybody can pronounce or even remember *lol*), I'm 29, German (see myself rather more international though as I've mostly lived my life in other countries like Brazil, Japan & Portugal), happily married to an US Navy 'cop' and SAHM to a 3 year old little girl who's quite a little devil most of the time.

We're currently stationed in Newport, RI, due to DH's job in the Navy. After the next 3 years we'll see where we'll be going next. We're coming from Lisbon, Portugal where we're living for 4 years (also due to DH's job).
For me it's the first time living in the US and so far I like it a lot!

After 5 months of TTC #2 we found out that we're finally expecting again (it was a long time waiting for me as with DD I got pregnant the first month after I got off the BCP) and by now we know that we'll be having a little baby boy. EDD is July 15th but due to many reasons I'll have a scheduled c-section (DD was also born via cesarean) probably around July7th.

BF didn't really work well with DD (due to not being informed enough and not having any support..) and I gave up after only 2 months -which I still regret!- but this time I'm determinded to BF my little boy sucessfully! Also I'm totally new to cloth diapers, so I'm very excited all around for his arrival!

I guess that's about it for now.. :LOL
Looking forward to get to know you all better!

Have a nice day!

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#71 of 87 Old 04-14-2005, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Val, I think your name is beautiful! Welcome to the boards

I gave up bf'ing early as well, lets hope this time is easier for the both of us!!!
#72 of 87 Old 04-14-2005, 03:29 PM

Thank you, darsmama!

Yes, let's focus on a great BF success this time!

Have a nice day!
Val

#73 of 87 Old 04-22-2005, 03:37 PM

My name is Rida. I am a 35 year old mother of four kids, names and ages in my signature. My husband is Hans, 43. My first husband is the father of my three older children, and he was killed when my daughter Sula was just born. I am very excited to be having my second child with Hans. I am due 04 July and we do not know the gender- Hans wants a girl and I don't care which it is. I am a SAHM and we live in the southwest. It had been our dream to move here for a long time and after Hans and I married we moved here from Sweden.

I am very excited to be joining all of you!
#74 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 09:51 AM

Hi Rida,
welcome! I'm sorry to hear about your loss of your 1st husband.., but happy for you that you found another wonderful man to share your life with!
How many years are you living in the US already? (I'm German and this is my 1st year living here! )

Looking forward to read from you again,
have a nice weekend,

Val

#75 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 09:38 PM

Hello Val! Well Leo (my first husband) and I wanted to move here since we met 15 years ago but then when I met Hans he began to share my passion for it. We moved here three years ago! At first it was a shock but I have found nothing but great people here. What do you think of it? I was nervous about having my youngest, Eben, here, but I had a great experience.
#76 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 11:58 PM

Hi Rida,
it's nice that you could fullfill your dreams then!
Well, since my husband is American and I was in contact with quite a few Americans ever since we met 5 yrs. ago, coming here wasn't much of a 'shock' but rather a really pleasant change. (DH is in the US Navy and we're stationed overseas, in Lisbon, Portugal for 4 years b4 we came here, so it was a very positive change! )

I absolutely love it here, eventhough I've only seen so little from the US so far (I've been in NY and San Fran. once, just as spent some time in Philadelphia b4 we moved up here to RI) and I'm looking forward to see many more places. It's DH's and my dream to settle down somewhere in a peaceful area in the US, we'll see where it'll be. For the next ~12 years he'll still be in the Navy, so we'll automatically get to travel around and see bits and pieces from the States!

Our daughter was born in Portugal and it was a very negative experience, so I'm very positive that this time will be much better! I already know from my gyn that the hospital is very baby and BF friendly, which should help me a lot compared to the time with my DD where I had no help/support in regards to BF..

Are you also using cloth diapers or planning on? This will be a complete new experience for me with our little baby boy, but I'm very excited!

Looking forward to get to 'know' you better,
have a great rest of your weekend,

Val

#77 of 87 Old 04-26-2005, 05:52 PM

Val- I hope the birth experience of your son is better for you this time. I cloth diapered with my first three children but not with my youngest- I could not find any supplies here, not the kinds I wanted. I am looking into it now from some links on this website and think I will try again this time! I liked cloth much better.
#78 of 87 Old 04-26-2005, 07:15 PM

Thanks, Rida!

I'm sure you'll find great CDs here too. At least from the sites that I've been looking at I got totally convinced and into it already!
I have to admit I'm a bit nervous starting out cloth diapering a newborn, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it fairly quickly, right!?

I'm currently also discovering the joy of sewing my own diapers! I haven't finished one yet (my sewing machine gives me some probs right now..) but I think that'd very well become a nice hobby for me -and a benefit for my son!

Have a nice day!
Val

#79 of 87 Old 04-26-2005, 08:35 PM

Hi, I'm Annsley. I live in Denver, CO and this is our first. We're planning a homebirth (possibly water....if we find the right pool) We don't know what we're having...and very anxious to meet the baby. I'm a childbirth educator and pre/postnatal yoga therapist....so I love to talk about pregnancy and birth!! Looking forward to getting to know some of you!! Anyone out there into attachment parenting? Enjoy your pregnancies!
#80 of 87 Old 05-26-2005, 03:13 PM

Hi Rida ~ Nice to meet you!

Hi Annsley ~ Nice to meet you, too. I grew up sort of near to Denver, in South Dakota. I'm currently on the west coast, but we did a lot of traveling to Colorado for concerts and such. I'm also planning a homebirth. The midwife is bringing over an "aquadoula" in which I plan to labor, but we'll see if the babe is born in there or not. I agree with a lot of AP, but we're just gonna find our own style - what feels good to babe and us.
#81 of 87 Old 06-03-2005, 12:14 AM

Hey all - I'm Shannon, newly liberated from work - today was the second day of my maternity leave. We're hoping I can be a SAHM but I have scheduled my return to the classroom for Dec 1st. We'll decide in September, based on how our finances look. We have a small farm, 6 acres, here in NJ. We raise chickens, are trying to sell eggs through various methods, all of which need tweaking, have two dairy goats and one adorable doeling born 5/14, two hives of bees, and lots and lots of fruit and veggies. My plan is to begin running our farm as a CSA this fall, next spring - a big step, but something we're both really excited about. We've used midwives throughout - got pregnant in two weeks! - but had to switch to MW's who deliver at the loal hospital when our HB midwife had to stop practicing due to illness. Happy with the compromises we've made though - our new MW's are great. Planning a waterbirth. EDD are July 1st, 3rd, and 4th. We shall see. I feel like we're having a boy, but who knows. Oh, I just turned 26.
#82 of 87 Old 06-03-2005, 12:37 PM

Whoops, just realized I never posted on this thread : .

My name is Shana, I'm 33 (dh is 36) and pg with first babe. Due date is 7/29 ... don't know if knowing the exact date of conception (I tracked my BTT) increases the odds of actually having the baby around that time. :LOL

I got pg 4 months after a m/c last year, and everything seems to be going great this time around! We are supposedly having a girl, although I know they don't always get that right ...

Still arguing about names, although we said we wouldn't make a final choice until we met her.

I'm planning on giving birth in a birth center inside a hospital that is supportive of natural childbirth (has jacuzzis in the rooms, etc.), and has a 3.5% c-sec rate. My OB is very mother-friendly, and supportive of the birth center.

I had back surgery 12 years ago, so even if I want an epidural, I was told it may not work. I hired a doula who spent many years as a direct-entry mw, and once labor starts, she'll come to my home whenever I want her to. Her experience as a mw makes me feel really confident about laboring at home for a while ... she can check my dilation (if I want), she knows tons about labor, birth, etc. She actually calls herself a "monitrice" instead of a doula. I have a hot tub at home that we're getting up and running, and I'm hoping to labor at home as long as I can. My doula (oops, monitrice) said if I can make it to 7 cm at home, that would be great.

For right now, I'm just hoping no complications arise. Babe is currently head down, but probably posterior (will start doing hands & knees stuff in a few weeks). Right now I'm just hoping she stays head down, turns anterior and my water doesn't break prematurely!

Shana
EDD 7/29/05

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#83 of 87 Old 06-11-2005, 01:43 PM

Hello ladies! I am 34 weeks along, due on July 18th, although my midwife doesn't think I'll make it that long...This is my first baby, and my fiance and I live in Sonoma County, CA. Before we got pregnant, we had decided to have a homebirth. I loathe the treatment of pregnant women by doctors and nurses, and have been following the abuses that occur there for years. The prevailing opinion, as informed women know, is that it's 'best' for mom and baby if mom is induced with pitocin, paralyzed with an epidural, and maybe even genitally mutilated with an episiotomy. How incredibly convenient for the staff! "Just shut up, lady, and let us handle it all!" So, we planned on a homebirth. However, that didn't end up happening, as homebirth midwives are pricey (to us) and not covered by insurance. So, our next step was the incredible birth center in Santa Rosa, that has a stellar reputation. But I didn't feel comfortable there, it felt too assembly-line to me. Plus, they had 4 midwives, and so I saw someone different each time. Yuck! Then I went to another birth center, a small place with one midwife. But, just into my third trimester, I was informed that my midwife could no longer do out of hospital births, because her insurance would no longer cover her. So, in order to stay in her care, which we very much wanted, I would have to have a hospital birth. But, the hospital she delivers at is very progessive, and I have freedom to do what I like, with no interventions, I.V's, etc. Nor will I have nurses pushing drugs on me. I will have my aquadoula, birth room, and dim lights. So one of the worst-case scenarios has already come to pass, and I have been ok with it. Pregnancy is quite the interesting time. I've seen the dreams and plans of women just fly out the window, when their bodies, or life, has other ideas in store for them. Oh well, such is life. And mothering, I suppose.
My pregnancy has been very easy otherwise, with the exception of insomnia, and my huge irritation over being so frequently hungry-and then not wanting whatever it is that I've made to eat. I guesss now it's time to just enjoy the few weeks I have left.

VioletMommy
#84 of 87 Old 06-12-2005, 09:05 PM

Hello everyone

my name is cathy. i'm 20 ( i will be 21 a month after baby comes ) and me and my kitty milo : just moved to the denver area from south florida a couple months ago. this little one will be my first baby and he/she's EDD is 7/23...we are having a homebirth and are extremely excited to be bringing a new person into this world!

~cathy
:home:
#85 of 87 Old 06-13-2005, 02:24 AM
Pom

Welcome Cathy! There are several home birthin' moms on the July thread....!
#86 of 87 Old 06-13-2005, 12:22 PM

yeah i guess i could add a little more info,huh?

we chose to have a homebirth as soon as we found out because we both feel that the more medical intervention,the more complications. plus we both feel like most hospitals/doctors are more money-driven and want to have things done their way. his sister has had 2 homebirths with the same midwives we are with and she has 2 beautiful kiddos.

my b/f and i actually haven't been together too incredibly long. we both follow this band, String Cheese Incident, around the country (yes we are nuts ) and we met at their festival at Horning's hideout in north plains,OR....this place is amazing. it's this huge forest area up by portland where wild peacocks run around and everyone loves eachother

after we found out a baby was on the way, i was still stuck down in florida for a couple months so my b/f missed most of the morning sickness stage (lucky him) but i was going through it pretty bad. i moved out to colorado in march and have been feeling pretty good with the pregnancy since then. i guess the baby just feels better when daddy is around

like i said, i'm 34 weeks now and just starting to get a little uncomfortable. i have trouble breathing sometimes (which is odd since the baby has been turned head down for a while now and i can feel his/her head against my pelvis when i walk) and the sleep troubles are underway. i can never get comfortable! and it's starting to hurt my belly when i roll over in bed so i have to get as comfy as i can and stick it out.

we are just about done with our homebirth classes and we've been making lots of birth art. the other day i painted my whole belly ( i made a thread about it). i am so excited and i know this will be the most important thing i will do in my life

~cathy :home2:
#87 of 87 Old 06-13-2005, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseRjedi

my b/f and i actually haven't been together too incredibly long. we both follow this band, String Cheese Incident, around the country (yes we are nuts ) and we met at their festival at Horning's hideout in north plains,OR....this place is amazing. it's this huge forest area up by portland where wild peacocks run around and everyone loves eachother

~cathy :home2:

Cathy ~ I love SCI! My man and I have toured around with them as well, especially last summer. We haven't done a whole lot this year because we're saving up for babes, but if they're close by we definetly make the trip (they were just in Tahoe at the end of March.) Were you at Horning's last summer? I was there - and I totally agree that it's a beautiful place. Saturday night was the best show - with the Peak Productions show they put on. We had so much fun. I would love to go again this year, but babes will be too little. We're hoping to make it next year.

Nice to meet you ~ and nice to meet a fellow Cheese-head!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page