nausea - please remind me it will stop... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 12-29-2004, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm almost 11 weeks along, and still I have nausea all day if I don't eat aggressively. I remember with #1 it stopped magically at 12 weeks, but I'm beginning to wonder if it really will with this one.

Has yours already stopped? If not, how have you psyched yourself up for more weeks (or months) of this?

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#2 of 26 Old 12-30-2004, 02:00 AM

Still going strong here - and of course, if I happen to have a day without puking, I start to get paranoid that I'm not pregnant anymore Damned if I do, damned if I don't!

I know what you feel like, it gets quite emotionally taxing after a while, feeling so horrible all the time. I can't wait for second trimester (and hope it ends then)

Jeanette
#3 of 26 Old 12-30-2004, 02:11 PM

well iam 14 weeks now and mine is pretty much gone as long as i pay attention to my cravigns and eat lots of meat protien..so soon mama soon
#4 of 26 Old 12-30-2004, 06:08 PM
Pom

I am 10.5 weeks and am on my 3rd day of hardly any nausea (knock on wood), but with my last pg I had it for about 14 weeks -- also had to eat constantly, and gained almost 35lbs in 3 months!

Hang in there. Remember it's a good sign...(or so the "old wives" say)
#5 of 26 Old 12-30-2004, 08:19 PM

I keep trying to remind myself the same thing. I am 13 weeks. I told someone yesterday who said it won't last too much longer that "well at least not longer than 6 more months" :LOL

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#6 of 26 Old 12-30-2004, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for your support!

Luckily I haven't gained 35 pounds, but I should be by what I'm eating! I find as long as I eat rich foods I'm good. But I have to eat verrry frequently. Since I don't do meat, I haven't been craving the meat protein at all, but I do sometimes crave things like quiche and other egg/cheese combos.

(hope I didn't just make anyone's stomach turn with all that.... )

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#7 of 26 Old 12-30-2004, 09:40 PM
Pom

All I'm eating is egg and cheese combos, are you kidding? That, and I have to put hummus on practically everything...

Don't want to scare y'all, but my MIL had it for 8 months. Took the train to work every morning, climbed up the stairs to the street, leaned over and threw up in a trashcan, cleaned herself up and moved on. Can you imagine?!?!?! Luckily I've not heard of that happening too often!
#8 of 26 Old 12-30-2004, 09:48 PM

I'm 11 weeks today. The "morning sickness" is definitely still going strong here. With my first, the nausea didn't stop until dd was born, although it did let up considerably after the 5th - 6th month of pregnancy (this is when most of my food aversions finally went away). I've lost about 8 pounds as of now, which is good, since I was down 13 pounds last week, but have been managing to eat more lately. I've been drinking lots of sugary sodas. I know it's gross and I usually don't touch the stuff, but it is the only way I've found to stay hydrated. Plain water upsets my stomach, and once I get dehydrated, I can't keep anything (food or drink) down. I will be happy if I do not lose any more weight.
#9 of 26 Old 12-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Pom

Ditto on the water and soda. Gingerale city. You know, I can barely do water when I'm feeling horrid, but I can do cucumbers, which helps keep me hydrated. Have you tried?
#10 of 26 Old 12-30-2004, 10:03 PM

Hmmm, cucumbers. No, I have not tried that, though my dh makes avocado/tomato/cucumber salad at least once a week, so I have had that a couple times. I have been eating more substantial food lately, but a couple weeks ago I was just eating fruit. 2-3 pieces of fruit a day. Since I was dehydrated, I think my body could only handle food that was moist. Mangos, peaches, grapes, etc. I was able to handle those.
#11 of 26 Old 01-02-2005, 12:10 PM

I JUST started feeling better in the last week, I"m now 14w1d. But the nausea has been replaced by popping/crasking joints and round ligament pain every time I stand up:LOL
#12 of 26 Old 01-04-2005, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Well, this Thursday will be week 12 (and my first midwife appt! yay!), 10 weeks post ovulation, and.....

I haven't had all-day nausea in two days, counting today! My wits' end must be a bit like transition - the fear that I can't handle it building to its worst right before a big shift. :LOL

Binah, I am so sorry to hear about your own sickness. Grapes are magical, imo. I hope you are able to eat more substantial food soon.

Pom - oh, the water. Me too! I just can't drink water first thing in the morning or else my stomach just aches and/or gets totally nauseated.

Jeannette and soccerchic - hang in there. I hope it will get better for you, too!!!

Thanks again for everyone's reassurances. It really helped.

Kim

rural mama to DD1 DD2
#13 of 26 Old 01-04-2005, 01:56 AM
Pom

Yay for you, Skim! Glad it's passed!

(I've still been not feeling much nausea, although a wee bit today...but I've been waaaaay more exhausted and goign to bed by 8, 8:30...tonight, it's almost 9 and I'm falling asleep as I type)
#14 of 26 Old 01-04-2005, 03:29 AM

Skim
#15 of 26 Old 01-04-2005, 11:41 AM

So glad your nausea is passing. I have been blessed in both pregnancies to have both nausea and severe fatigue appear right about 6 weeks and disappear at exactly 10 weeks. It's a terrible 4 weeks but at least it has ended for me. Hope everyone gets to feeling well soon .
#16 of 26 Old 01-04-2005, 02:08 PM

Yeah, this stage really stinks (figuratively and literally, everything smells horrid)!

I'm in my 11th week and just got over a stomach illness. My nausea has really kept me from eating properly and from gaining weight but I hadn't been vomiting until New Year's day when the whole household of guests got some bug. I didn't eat, yet vomited for two days. Now I think I'm over it but the morning sickness is so strong (and the memory of the illness) that it is really hard not to throw up.

So it sounds like, for some of you, eating constantly helps with the nausea. How do you do it? Do you eat ready-made food? I have such a hard time cooking.

I feel so guilty that I am not eating much. I worry I will cause problems for the babe. I don't remember having such a hard time eating with the last pregnancy, but the queasiness did last until about 14 weeks.

I'm glad some of you are coming out of this phase--hopefully the rest of us are close behind.
#17 of 26 Old 01-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Pom

noodles, cheese, toast, cheese, yogurt, cheese, rice crackers, frozen burritos, cheese, premade hummus, cucumbers, cheese, pasta cheese...no real cooking there! Sorry you are still in the icks!
#18 of 26 Old 01-05-2005, 12:25 AM

I think this one has been the worst. I don't have major food aversions, but nothing sounds good and I just don't want to eat, even though I know I'll get sick if I don't :LOL My nausea is about gone, the popping and cracking still going on, and fatigue coming in as well All I want to do now is sit and watch TV or sleep all day :LOL
#19 of 26 Old 01-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Pom

totally just want to sleep all day, too -- which is making me feel like the worst, no-fun mom ever.

How do all of you with multiple kids deal with this exhaustion / nausea and parenting? My 3 yo dd is not in preschool, so except for a couple classes a week, she's all about me. To make it worse, we usually spend tons of time at local parks, but it's been pouring for 2 weeks and is expected to be pouring for 2 more...sigh...and with that (and friends on holiday) fewer kids around for her to have play dates with.

sorry if this is too off-topic.
#20 of 26 Old 01-05-2005, 10:27 AM

I don't have multiple kids, just one 2.5 yo dd. She doesn't have any activities outside the home, so she is just really bored right now. I'm not even with it enough to make it to playgroups. I never leave the house. I want to have a large family, but the difficulty of pregnancy makes family life/marriage so hard for us. I don't know how I'll cope with this again. Dh is just so stressed out and I am so needy.
#21 of 26 Old 01-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Pom

oops. I didn't mean multiples. I just meant anyone who already has a child.

Binah - does your DH have people to talk to / help with the stress? Do you?
#22 of 26 Old 01-06-2005, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah
... the difficulty of pregnancy makes family life/marriage so hard for us. I don't know how I'll cope with this again. Dh is just so stressed out and I am so needy.
Binah, this sounds so familiar! Apparently I am always complaining about my ailments but it is hard not to when there is NO acknowledgement that I am even pregnant this time. Wow, it is sooooo different from the last pregnancy. No pampering, no sweet talk, no excitement, no nothing. Talk about feeling alone.

And my poor Dd. She gets bored and then irritable...then I get irritable. Such a vicious cycle. End of day I have zip for energy and Dh gets home upset about work and finances so I get no reprieve.

Sorry for the rant--I'm just so in the thick of family imbalance right now (not to mention hormonal :LOL ). A third child is now officially not an option.
#23 of 26 Old 01-06-2005, 03:45 PM

My morning sickness usually lasts until 20 weeks or so. So, I have 8 more to go!! This by far has been the worst pregnancy, I told dh NO MORE!! I cannot do this again.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#24 of 26 Old 01-06-2005, 04:04 PM

Isn't is funny how every pregnancy is different? With my first, it was horrible! 18 weeks strait of 24 hour nausa, motion sickness, fatigue, and total misery. I've puked in many a parking lot! Couldn't stand any smell: husband, purfume, deoderant, toothpaste, hairspray, most foods. Felt like wanting to die. This time I am about 8 weeks along, and I'm really tired and nausiated, but it isn't nearly as bad. Just a constant yucky feeling and like some of you I could just sleep all day! Problem is I'm gaining weight much faster--last time I lost weight in the first trimester.

Personally, I try to console myself thinking that it could be much worse. The same time I was pregnant last time, this lady at work had a daughter that was pregnant the same time I was. She was sick the whole nine months and was hospitalized many time for dehydration because all she did was puke all day.

Food...I'm with most of you in that almost nothing is appealing. Although yesterday I splurged and bought a pre-made sub sandwich. That was the first thing that tasted good in a long time. Right now we are eating a lot of cereals (malt-o-meal has a lot of folic acid), potatoes, beans, burritos, and anything that doesn't take a lot of preparation. Been seriously craving a vanilla shake, but I know that if I have one I will get a stomach ache as I have a problem with milk. Had one a couple weeks ago and it tasted soooo go, but boy did I regret it!

Hope you all feel better soon!

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#25 of 26 Old 01-06-2005, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pom
oops. I didn't mean multiples. I just meant anyone who already has a child.

Binah - does your DH have people to talk to / help with the stress? Do you?
I didn't think you actually meant multiples, as in twins, etc. I thought you meant more than one other child (e.g. two kids and pregnant with the third and so forth).

To answer the second question, no, I don't think we really have anyone to talk to about what we're going through. We just moved to Australia one month before I got pregnant. It was a planned pregnancy, but I don't think my dh would have purposely planned it to start during such a stressful time for us (I had a m/c in July and we had been ttc again as soon as we could after the m/c). I don't know anyone here. We spent the first month here moving in, etc., and since then I haven't been feeling so hot so I've just been staying in and not meeting anyone. Dh used to live here, so he knows some people, but I don't think he's really close with any of them. My dh's grandmother and mother live here. MIL has decided that she doesn't like me (long story), so I never see them either. Dh has a job, but it is only part-time, so we are stressed about money. Dh is trying so hard to find a job, and he wants to be able to focus on that, but feels he cannot because I need to be taken care of.

If I'm irritable/feeling sick, we fight about the stupidest things. This morning, for example, dh woke me up and told me to get ready to go to the Medicare office (Medicare is the national universal health coverage plan in Australia. It isn't based on income, like Medicare in the US; everyone gets it.). I got up, got ready, and tried to find something to eat. Nothing in the house looked good, so I decided just to ride to the Medicare office. We were planning to go grocery shopping afterwards, so I figured I would just eat something from the store. We didn't have all the right paperwork we needed so we ended up having to come home to get the papers. I hadn't eaten so the car ride home made me feel really sick. I told dh I couldn't go back out, so he went back to the Medicare place alone. Before he left, he said, "Bye," but I did not respond, since I was trying to cook myself something while gagging/dry heaving at all the nasty smells in our dirty kitchen. So he said, "BYE!", and I screamed, "BYE!!!" back at him. How stupid is that? I just didn't feel good, and I couldn't take one more thing, so I acted badly. Sad, isn't it?

I've lost a little more weight (I am down 14 pounds), so I'm not feeling very well right now. I guess I will be going to see someone now that I have Medicare. Dh will probably make me feel guilty about the money I spend at the grocery trying to find foods that appeal to me. I have to eat, don't I?
#26 of 26 Old 01-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Pom

Oh, Binah (((hug))). Man that's a lot to deal with! A pregnancy with possible complications and an existing kid is hard enough -- add financial and moving to a new country stress? I don't know how I would handle it solo. I have enough trouble with my friends and family mostly across the country. Let alone overseas.

Yes, of course you deserve to spend $ on foods you can eat. We're in a financial bind too, right now -- and I felt guilty at the store today, but it is ensuring the safety of your future, your kid's future...you gotta eat what you can eat, ya know?

I hope you can at least vent here...does the Medicare program also cover therapy sessions? I don't know how you feel about them, but maybe it would help both you and your DH to have a live person to vent to? Our insurance covers it for a few weeks, at least.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page