Ladies - if you can feel your uterus..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-09-2005, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How high is it? Most of my midwifery texts say that it should be just above the pubic bone at 11 weeks, but my fundus is halfway to my belly button. Even the midwife we visited last week expressed surprise adn asked if we are sure of our dates (which we are). I'm not showing yet (have lost about ten pounds) but it kinda freaks me out that it is so high already.

Jeanette
#2 of 12 Old 01-09-2005, 10:07 PM

well i was about half way above my pubic bone at 11/12 weeks... iwoudlnt' worry aobut it jsut yet
#3 of 12 Old 01-10-2005, 04:04 AM

mine is just above my pubic bone at 12 weeks...but barely. my midwife had a hard time finding it. maybe you have a differently shaped uterus or something? or perhaps...i don't know if one would cause the other, but is it possible this is a multiple pregnancy?

everyone is so different, you just never really know!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#4 of 12 Old 01-11-2005, 06:12 PM

I am twelve weeks today and I can feel mine pretty well. Its above my pubic bone but I can feel the top of it just below my belly button. Its not right in the middle but more to the left side (is that normal?). I am not showing yet either - just cant button my pants anymore. I thought that was normal for how far along I am since I could feel the same thing around the same time with my first pregnancy.
#5 of 12 Old 01-11-2005, 07:35 PM

Mine is pretty high too, it is above my pubic bone, probably half way to my belly button.
#6 of 12 Old 01-12-2005, 01:23 AM

Mine is also high (a bit over halfway to my belly button at 12 weeks) and I asked my midwife about it on Monday and she said that, yes, it was higher than she'd expect for how far along I am but that it may be because of my scar (C-section). Has anyone ever heard of that?
#7 of 12 Old 01-12-2005, 12:19 PM

I know–have experienced the same thing. It could be a case of the uterus not being in the stereotypical placement. What was the height of the fundus? Is this your 1st child?

At my 1st midwife appointment at 10 weeks 5 days, the height of my fundus was 15 (should be 1 cm for each week). At 13 weeks 5 days, it was 18 cm. I have to go back next Tuesday, (15 weeks, 5 days) and if it is still out of line with what it should be, I need a sonogram to rule out multiples.

I kept telling people at about 8 weeks, I can already feel something even though I remember from my last pregnancy (ages ago) that I shouldn't be able to yet. And everyone keeps telling me that I am huge for this stage. I look like 4 1/2 months, maybe 5 months, and I'm not even 4 months yet.

The reason that I ask if this is your 1st child is that women start to show earlier in repeat pregnancies. It's as though the body/uterus understands that it needs to grow and stretch and so it starts doing so early.
#8 of 12 Old 01-12-2005, 04:31 PM

It's my third pregnancy. I had the same thing my last pregnancy. When I was at a MW visit at 12 or 14 weeks or something I told my MW that I could feel the top of my uterus as I was laying on my back. She said "impossible" but didn't feel, she just said flat out no way. As my pregnancy progresses I followed the same thing, the ridge I felt, and as it grew it indeed was sudenly the top of my uterus. That midwife sucked. That was the same one that told me a whole bunch of crap that ultimately led me away from that practice and to my homebirth.
#9 of 12 Old 01-12-2005, 05:52 PM

Can anyone tell me how to "feel" for my uterus? I'd love to be able to tell things like this (just because I think it's neat!). How do you do it?
#10 of 12 Old 01-13-2005, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddledebi
Can anyone tell me how to "feel" for my uterus? I'd love to be able to tell things like this (just because I think it's neat!). How do you do it?
If you lay on your back and feel your lower abdomen - above the pubic bone but below the belly button, you should be able to feel it. Its sort of hard and if you get to the edges you can feel it end - like it rolls inward (like a little hill).

The thinner you are the easier it is to feel. Its also hard to feel if you are bloated - for me anyway. Its hard for me to feel at night because that is when I am most bloated. I can feel it the easiest first thing in the AM before I get out of bed.

Though I am sure its different for everyone so that is just how it is for me.
#11 of 12 Old 01-13-2005, 07:03 PM

I"m measuring about 2 weeks bigger, but this is my third child You can measure bigger with each successive child and also if your placenta is anterior or on the top of your uterus
#12 of 12 Old 01-30-2005, 08:06 PM

Tip- try doing it when your bladder is full, it pokes out much further then.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page