Caffeine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2005, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Mer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is caffeine really bad during pregnancy? I keep getting the feeling it's not. I've been having a halp a cup of coffee a day but a lot of days I really wish I could have more. What have you all been told about how much is ok and have you heard of any good info on the subject? How much do you all drink?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2005, 02:43 PM

There's mixed opinions on caffeine (sorry to pop into you DD forum -- I just clicked on the thread title on top)

This is a REALLY good resource:
http://www.marchofdimes.com/professi...14332_1148.asp
Old 02-02-2005, 02:47 PM

The recommendation here in Sweden is no more than 3 cups a day. Bear in mind, that Sweden is a HUGE coffee drinking nation, so this is probably hardship for some women! My midwife didn't even mention caffeine to me, although we did go over alcohol, cigarettes and certain types of fish.

I limit myself to one cup of coffee a day, not too strong. I also drink weak tea occasionally, but I seldom drink soda.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Pom

I've commonly heard 2 c a day is fine....the mothering book says that that much can increase the risk of miscarriage...but I think that if you're into the 2nd trimester there's probably less to worry about (not that I have any real knowlwdge, lol)?

Last time I cut out all coffee and caffeine until the end, when I cheated with an occaisional diet coke (ack! i know! but it was a heat wave and I was soooo big!).

This time I cut coffee, but have 1 cup tea in the morning. Sometimes a little green tea at night, too, if I have to work.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:00 PM

In my first pregnancy I was totally paranoid about all the no-nos. I didnt have any soda or coffee or tuna or lunch meat or ANYTHING. Toward the end I did indulge in a few sips of wine if DH was having some with dinner and more chocolate than I would like to admit (I was 8.5 months at Halloween ).

This time I am a bit more mellow about it. I had a few Cokes when the m/s was really bad (someone told me it would help but it didnt really) and a few deli sandwiches.

I cut out coffee before I was pregnant because it gives me bad withdrawal headaches but I miss it so much. I LOVE coffee - especially fancy ones. I love the whole ritual, the smell, the sipping, the extra cream... aaahhh!

But now they have opened one of those gourmet coffee cart things in the lobby of my office building! I had a decaf white chocolate latte yesterday and am thinking about asking him to make me the same thing but half decaf half caff.

Everything in moderation is fine - I am sure a cup a day wont do any harm especially in the second trimester.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Mer

The march of dimes artlcle didn't make me feel good about it. I am having less than the recomendation of 150 a day though.

For today I just can't take it anymore. I'm having a Coke! :
Old 02-03-2005, 12:04 AM

I have a cup of coffee every non-work day and a grande latte every work day.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:44 AM

I have one 1/2 caf & 1/2 decaf cup of coffee in the morning, and I drink about 2 glasses of iced tea nearly every day. And....i give into the occasional diet coke every few days. I don't worry too much about the caffine, for me just cutting down to this level was a weeks worth of cutback headaches.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:23 PM

Well there is definitely mixed opinions about caffeine intake during pregnancy. I talked to a midwife who says its okay in small quantities. She even advises drinking a cup or two of coffee, or drinking some caffeniated tea to keep migraines away. If I don't have drink it, I end up with blinding headaches and literally can't see. I've tried to get off several times, the most I lasted was four days and I was literally so sick, I said screw that and made me a big ole jug of southern ice tea.

With this being my fourth baby, third pregnancy I've definitely taken things a lot less seriously. I eat medium rare meat, brie cheese and feta is still on the menu, I drink caffeine, and eat smoked salmon. (yummy) I've been real laid back about the whole thing.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:43 PM

I gave up coffee when I found out I was pregnant with Kai, but then started drinking half decaf cups towards the end of my pregnancy. My midwife said a cup or two was fine and that some of her ladies needed their daily cup to keep regular. I think in moderation it is fine and that you should go with your own gut feeling.

Pom-I read somewhere that green tea was bad during pregnancy for reasons other than the caffeine. I forget where I read it. You might want to look into it.

Ahimsa

Mother to two great kids. &
Old 02-03-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence
Well there is definitely mixed opinions about caffeine intake during pregnancy. I talked to a midwife who says its okay in small quantities. She even advises drinking a cup or two of coffee, or drinking some caffeniated tea to keep migraines away. If I don't have drink it, I end up with blinding headaches and literally can't see. I've tried to get off several times, the most I lasted was four days and I was literally so sick, I said screw that and made me a big ole jug of southern ice tea.

With this being my fourth baby, third pregnancy I've definitely taken things a lot less seriously. I eat medium rare meat, brie cheese and feta is still on the menu, I drink caffeine, and eat smoked salmon. (yummy) I've been real laid back about the whole thing.
Just wanted to let you know (not that you are too worried about it LOL!) as long as your soft cheeses are pasturized - which most are now, they are totally safe. Smoked salmon is as well. I didnt know this during my first pregnancy but found out recently. I was SO excited - the next week I ate a whole wedge of brie and a loaf of French bread in 2 days
Old 02-03-2005, 10:49 PM

I am VERY laid back about what I consume. I have hyperemesis, and if I can eat something ANYTHING I do it. Sometimes weird stuff appeals to me and I just go for it. But, I don't have A LOT of anything. I wouldn't sit there and drink a pot of coffee but I certainly don't worry about the one shot in my short latte I have once or twice a week.

Emily
Old 02-04-2005, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence

Wait a minute, when did they say no smoked salmon? There goes my only source of flesh. LOL as if I follow the rules anyway, I had pizza with feta for lunch today and had sushi a couple weeks ago. But seriously, no smoked salmon? I never heard that one. I am horrible at those rules anymore.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:15 AM

I got a VERY long list of what types of fish I can eat (Swedes are big on fish, so it gets plenty of attention here) and smoked salmon was listed as just fine.

The one thing that isn't fine is 'gravadlax' - which is basically marinated salmon, not smoked.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
Mer

Yea, I think we're all ok. My 1st pg I was paranoid too. I did everything perfectly and don't think I had a drop of caffeine. This time I to am way more laid back. I haven't given in to the sushi cravings yet though. My feeling is caffiene has been around for a really long time and if it were that bad I think it would be more obvious. So, I guess my conclusion is it's ok in moderation. I know, however, for myself I need to be careful not to get up to a pot a day. I think that's what bothers me most. It's like a slippery slope if I'm not careful.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:24 PM

I think I will go make a little pressed sandwich right now, with brie and ham and honey mustard.

I've been enjoying smoked salmon with cream cheese, capers, onions and tomato on bagels all along--so delightful!

As for coffee, I am enjoying one cup--no sugar, very light-- around noonish--and then I have wonderful concentration getting work done!

Now, please please please can we eat sushi too? Is anyone indulging in some nice tuna rolls?
Old 02-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Pom

OOOOOOOH, SUSHI!!!!!

It makes me want to write a lame-o poem. I love it so. ANd miss it (sob sob!). I made DH bring me a HUGE plate of it immediately following DD's birth and will do so again. I have a friend who's Japanese and swears pg women eat it there all the time, but have not been so bold. But, man o man, if I could......every day. Every day.

Ahimsa - evrything's Ive read re green tea is that it's fine. Just double checked some sites and saw that it's even recommended to get pg...can you remember what or where you saw it? Not that I drink much of it...
Old 02-10-2005, 12:35 PM

Pom-I can't remember where I read it. If you looked it up online and have found otherwise than I am sure it is fine. I just wanted to give you a heads up to check it out.

Ahimsa

Mother to two great kids. &
Old 02-10-2005, 08:23 PM

We just had Sushi last night. I figure that Japanese women most likely eat Sushi while they are pregnant! You really just want to make sure that you eat at a reputable place (liek one that has never made you sick before).
Old 02-11-2005, 03:07 PM

LOL I had some California rolls last week. Not reallys sure if that counts. I just can't really do sushi with raw fish. I am not much for sushi but last week, California rolls sounded tasty. I also had an Egyptian salads plate (hummus, baba ganoush -killed that spelling- etc, )and I think I may go back for some more this weekend. Yummy!

Emily
Old 02-11-2005, 08:04 PM

I can not function without coffee in the morning. I have at least one cup...but I also drink water the rest of the day

User Tag List