Weekly June 6-12 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2005, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Now I'm debating buying a few more maternity clothes. If the weather stays sunny and 78 I'm down to 1.5 pair of jeans and really only 3 shirts that fit right plus one I can wear if I don't care who I see. I have a sleeveless dress that I'm not crazy about. But it seems so STUPID to buy more now! I mean, it does, right?
I was thinking about buying more....2 shirts, 1 pair of capri's, 1 pair of shorts....that's all I have, but hmmm...I'm thinking I'm not going to buy more though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2005, 11:28 AM

Hey all-
Sorry I can't manage responses to everyone, but I'm reading and following along with all of your stories .
I have grown out of most of my maternity clothes...just can't accommodate either my giant belly or my giant butt anymore. I have two pairs of pants that really fit - both capri pants that come all the way up over the belly. Real stylish. But I just don't care anymore :LOL As long as it's comfortable and doesn't leave anything major hanging out.
Dealing with some bad round ligament pain yesterday and today. I'm having all kinds of sensations that I don't remember from Simon's pregnancy, maybe because I carried him breech - feeling like the baby is going to fall out, pelvic pressure, different pains and spasms. This baby can move in ways that actually hurt which is weird. But all totally manageable. Really I feel blessed, it's been a really comfortable pregnancy overall. 4 weeks of morning sickness, a few varicose veins, beyond that I can't complain too much.
I got to go swimming this week, heavenly. Trying to hoist myself out of the pool and returning to earth gravity was tough though. I felt like I weighed about 1000 pounds...the Beached Whale .
This whole baby thing is definitely seeming more imminent and real lately. I bet we will start reading our first due-date-club birth stories within a couple of weeks, how exciting. And I'm so glad we haven't read any here yet (that I know of, sorry).
Hope all are well and enjoying the last few weeks.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:10 PM

Well, dh developed allergies for the first time at 24 when we moved here, but I grew up here and haven't had any the last 2 years we have been here. I threw up quite a bit this morning, which I think might actually help get that stuff out.

Cassidy, ITA about the reutning back to earth gravity. I had a similar experience last month swimming. I was quite impressed with what we lug around every day.

Mat clothes... NO WAY! LOL If I didn't have any, I would, but I do have one awesome pair of shortalls from gap that I got a size too big, so I haven't even adjusted them up yet, and I will wash them every day if need be. I actually have a bunch of XL Hanna Andersson knit pants with elastic waists that still fit great. They will probably be stretched out and ruined at the end of my pg, but whatever.

Just got a call from the hospital regarding bills needing to be paid. It makes me sick. We have already paid $800.... but we have another $800 to go before my max out of pocket is reached. It really sucks. Plus, our premium is $350 a month just for the policy. Ugh, I hate insurance!
Old 06-10-2005, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Pom

Cassidy - what is round ligament pain? My pelvis (?) / crotch (?) hurts so badly all the time...and it's not like there's a head pushing there, just really sore, like muscles.

WHY IS DD WAKING UP AT 5 AM EVERYDAY THIS WEEK?!?!?!?!?! Doesn't she know I need my sleep? NEEEEED MY SLEEEEEEEP......

Took her to the Natural Hist Museum yesterday for the first time and had so much fun together. THey have a lovely butterfly garden / green house here and the butterflies were everywhere! 2 landed on me and she was thrilled. She even got to hold one. Perfect weather, breezy and not too hot. I really need to take her to more museums...one of the benefits of big city living, might as well take advantage!

Have 33 week appt today. Do not want to get on scale. Should go to gym today but also have to go to grocery store and don't want to do it in afternoon...hmm...hard to make choices with NO SLEEP!!

DH is tired of my pg brain. Last night he went to use the broiler for burgers, and a few minutes later there was all this smoke....I had watched him turn on oven, totally spacing that I had hidden the brownies (and my wood handled Henckles knife) in the oven. Oooops. As he said, "Burned brownies are the saddest smell ever." Charred brownies is more like it!

See? I DO NEED SLEEP!
Old 06-10-2005, 12:15 PM

I said I wasn't going to buy any more maternity clothes but with temps in the 80's here, I needed some clothes. Plus I am the type of person that if I am looking good, I feel better.

However I am buying things that I probably can wear after delivering the baby and that would probably take me through at least the first 6 weeks. I found linen drawstring pants (no panels) and these tie string tops from Old Navy that might work at concealing any pooch that will be around. (considering I had a pooch before getting pregnant, guess it goes without saying I will still have one)

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:16 PM

It's hot here

I finally found a breastfeeding bra that fit I'll try it for a few days to see if it's good enough to buy more than one

I wish I could stay naked all the time... everything feels tight even tho it's not... must be the humidity in the air... makes me feel yuck!

Have a nice week-end!

Valérie   
Old 06-10-2005, 06:37 PM

Alrighty now, I said I was not going to come on any of my boards and vent but I guess I lied. Now I am 34 weeks pregnant and my FIL (MIL is deceased) is visiting from AZ, now here in Maine the weather generally is nice and mild, well this week is 80's with humidity : . So you know how I am feeling waddling around at 34 weeks, like poo poo at times.

Anyway FIL over the years has been a big help to us financially in fact if he had not helped us we could not have bought our house and a few weeks ago we had an emergency $$ situation and he helped us out. (dh is a freelancer we were waiting on a ton of checks and had a car situation) Well since he has been here last Saturday I have not done much around the house because its HOT! DH as he has throughout the pregnancy is picking up my slack, cleaning, cooking, plus earning all the money. Now I should mention that when I am not pregnant I more than pull my weight plus I earn a good chunk of change so what is going on now is not the norm, of course this our 1st child together and my 2nd and its been 13 years since I had my son.

Well over the past few days I have sensed that FIL is thinking I am a tad bit lazy, since I have not cooked while he has been here in fact we have been eating out because its too hot to even have dh cook and we have no AC's. (just put one up in my room). Well dh & I go out today and sure enough dh tells me his dad did mention that I seem a bit lazy and asked if dh must always do house husband duties in addition to earning the bulk of the money. I must admit my pregnant feelings are hurt BIGTIME. First off I have been wrapping up grad school, busting my chops to get everything done before the babe gets here, plus I do write a few columns for local publications (I earn some $$ just not a lot) and I still oversee dh's business finances and our personal finances. I have also been the one preparing everything for the baby, so even though I am not working I am working. DH & I have been together almost 10 years married 8 this fall and this is the first time that I have ever not worked and believe me its been an internal struggle to allow myself to trust someone at this level.

Part of me is like I should just let it roll after all this is the first time we have seen FIL in 5 years so its not like visits are common. Yet its also just bugging me, I guess it didn't help that FIL thinks I am wasteful because every day I have a decaf Dunkin Donuts craving so I buy coffee out daily despite having a coffee maker here at home.

Hey, I realize I am probably being petty but its hot and I am very pregnant and I just don't want to be judged.

Well I am home alone so I figured I could safely vent without anyone reading over my shoulder.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:00 PM

Shay, I think your FIL's comments STINK. They are so typically male . Did dh stick up for you? I sure hope so.

I know I have been slacking BIG TIME, and dh has been wonderful in cooking, cleaning, etc. and not complaining one bit. Well, the house isn't as clean as I would like it, but I can't really complain :LOL .

It's hard work being pregnant. And I agree that doing all the prep for the baby (researching stuff, buying stuff, deciding on stuff, learning about birth, etc.) is WORK. And very time consuming. DH even agreed that doing things like reading birth stories is a way for me to learn and prepare, and is not just me doing something "fun" while he slaves away.

And don't forget, we're still MAKING BABIES!!!!! And hauling around a ton of extra weight! I get winded walking from the kitchen to the bathroom, fer cryin' out loud (no stairs!).

That said, I don't think it will help to get your knickers in a knot about it. Your FIL is obviously clueless, and his opinion therefore shouldn't carry any weight or make you feel guilty. If you're bugged by his comments, then maybe dh can say something in your defense (if he hasn't already). Maybe he needs to be reminded that you are working hard creating his grandchild. FIL is a guest in YOUR home, the recipient of YOUR hospitality, and has no right to judge you (even if he's helped you financially in the past).

I hope things get straightened out soon, and the rest of his visit is more pleasant.

Shana
EDD 7/29/05

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
Old 06-10-2005, 08:07 PM

Hi Ladies,
I have missed you all but things have been more hectic than usual. I hope someone cares and remembers me ! LOL

DH and I are in the process of getting packed and organzied for a big move that will be taking place when Daphne is a couple weeks old ): The job market around here has not cleared up, and starting today we are living on $0 income. My dad has invited us to come live in his rickety old house. It needs fixed up and cleaned so bad, but it will be a home for us. Its just stressful.
Then, my dad was in the hospital, He has congestive heart failure. He was instructed not to lift over five pounds or be in the heat at all. ):
Like I told Dwayne, everything happens for a reason - maybe its a sign we need to move up there. Just scary times ): So full of uncertainty.
Plus, insurance is not paying for the home birth they inform me, so I have to figure out something to do for my midwife. Some way to pay her, or get around the insurance, or do it at a birthing center. The thought of being in a hospital makes me want to cry...

Darlene cut her first tooth, I can feel it! She loves playing around mommy's big belly. I think she knows her little sister is in there!

Pregnancy is going well, but I agree - IT IS ONE MONTH TOO LONG! I was measuring 38 cm at 34 weeks. Not too bad. I am doing two week apt's. B/H have slowed down, and so has Daphne. My face is swollen eek. I hate how all preg photos make you look like you have a double chin lol

Korwynne, Thank you for the gift. I sent your card off today.

And to the lady recieving my gift, I am so sorry I was late. You'll read my note when you get it and hopefully, understand.
Love to you all,
Katie

(PS) Meghan, I used disposables the first month with Darlene. I know that is not very NFL, but even hipmama said that sometimes mama's sanity wins over the earth! Especially when you arent getting sleep and you have a million and one things to do besides wash dipes. I'll probably CD full time after the first week, but yeah - I dont need to worry about laundry for a week.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:10 PM

Shay - your FIL's comments STINK and YES- TYPICAL MALE comments!
You have every right to have your feelings hurt and yes - lets see them haul around 8-10 pound babies in their bellies and see how freaking much they get done.

Jerks
Old 06-11-2005, 07:45 AM

Okay, well, I only made it to 3 am this morning. I have been waking up basically an hour earlier every morning. This really stinks. I have that cold/sinus infection, whatever, that is totally not helping me out. My tummy keeps getting hard as a rock. I am trying to decide if it is contractions that aren't hurting (though, I am having lots of vaginal twinges and pain when it happens) or if it is just the baby. Poor little guy feels like he has absolutely zero room left. Either way, the whole thing is making me want to barf. LOL I am so tired of the barfing. My midwife looked at my like I was crazy when I actually requested an IV be placed during labor. She said I was the first to do that (could it be?) and I was like, I think the chances of me not barfing during labor/delivery are pretty slim and I want some fluids!!!!

I was complaing about how uncomfortable I am to my mom and then I said, well, I guess it is fine. You have to get pretty darned miserable because that way you actually start looking forward to going into labor!!!! LOL
Old 06-11-2005, 11:25 AM

Glad to hear other people are slacking too - I've been feeling guilty. "Cooking" has consisted of like tacos, pasta, tacos, pasta, hotdogs for the past week or so, "cleaning" is picking up some and wiping off the countertops and doing the dishes every other day at most...I just don't have it in me. I've been feeling bad about being the not-so-fun mama too, with moving around becoming more and more of an effort. Just a few more weeks...then I'll have a newborn and *really* be the not-so-fun mom for a while. Oh well. They get a new sibling to have forever, I'm sure the tradeoff will be worth it in the end.

Round ligament pain feels like a really sharp pulling kind of pain over my hipbones - low and to the sides. At least over where my hipbones used to be LOL. It's a bit better today. They're the ligaments that connect the uterus to the pelvis and are understandably getting rather stretched these days.

I'm starting to get nervous about nursing ds and the new baby too...there have been times when it has seemed like ds is slowing down, only nursing in the morning and at bedtime and maybe once more during the day. But he's back to wanting to nurse every few hours or every time I'm sitting - which is a lot lately. The upside - if new babe is nursing on one side and Simon on the other, there's no way Simon will be able to twiddle! I bet he'll try anyway :LOL. Guess we'll just have to see how it goes.

Katie, sorry to hear about your stressful situation. I hope things smooth out for you on the job - housing - family health fronts. How difficult to deal with all of this and a new baby (and an "old" baby) all at once.

36 weeks now. DH doesn't finish his summer law school classes until the 15th though so he is rooting for me to go a week late. I did with Simon so I guess it's possible, but it's not going to stop me from wanting the baby to come TODAY every single day after 38 weeks or so.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:45 PM

That's it, I've snapped at someone

Remember how I said it was really hot up here and that I have a hard time sleeping?

Well... I was finally having a good night sleep last night until my neighbor and his friends decided to stand outside and talk loudly I waited for some minutes and they were becomming louder : Looked at the clock: 3 A.M. Hearing them laugh gave me an adrenalin shot and I jumped out of bed, ran outside (thank god I had a pyjama on ), gave them a nasty look and told them to "shut the **** up" (well, I speak french so it was something with that meaning ).

I'll have to tell DH when he'll be back from our new house... : he slept at his parents to go and prepare the garden early this morning...

Valérie   
Old 06-11-2005, 03:09 PM

Hi, I just started posting today. I'm at 34 weeks, and I posted a little about my story in the intro thread.
...I have been dragging for the past few weeks as well. And I'm not particulary tired, (although I do have hellacious insomnia), I just don't feel like cooking or cleaning. I used to love to cook healthy, fancy meals. Now my fiance and I are lucky if I make chicken and rice. I'm probably just so preoccupied with getting things 'ready,' that all the basic stuff just seems irrelevant. I'm not even very focused on my diet anymore, I just want to get food down that doesn't make me nauseaus, since yesterday I puked my guts out for the first time this pregnancy. I've had sharp ligament pain by my right hip since the second trimester, and sometimes I had to moan through the pain, now it's not as bad, it just makes me stop what I'm doing.
And noise! I completely understand snapping at rude people. Our bedroom window is right across from the kitchen of a mexican restaurant. In my first trimester, having finally fell asleep after enduring many nights of insomnia, I was awakened to loud music and people having a drunken party in the restaurant kitchen. I flew outside (in my footie pajamas) and started screaming expletives at the workers. We live in town where it's normal to play window-shaking bass at 2 a.m., and drunken tourists think nothing of screaming and partying loundly until early morning.
Well, that was my little rant. I haven't ever been part of a blog, or shared my experiences with other pregnant women. It's nice to be able to empathize with others!
:
Old 06-11-2005, 04:03 PM

I guess I'm doing pretty well, all things considered. I feel exhausted and too tired to cook most of the time, but then it's because I'M TOO DARNED ACTIVE!

I had really been wanting a videocamera for this new baby, and possibly to film the birth. But it has taken me forever to find one that has all the features that we want/need and that I liked the deal on. We finally got one last week–but it turns out that the warranty it came with was one of those designed so that it is impossible to meet the terms . I had to drive quite a ways to return it. Then I went to a Circuit City just a few minutes from my home and re-purchased an identical DVD-cam. It was less expensive and the deal was fantastic. Of course, our DVD player is so old that it wouldn't play the DVDs we make on it so I ended up purchasing a new DVR/VCR combo as well.

This morning I went to my exercise class after doing some errands and more buying I can't stop buying these days–my son recently broke a really nice plate of mine. I couldn't get mad at him because he didn't mean to and we have had the set for years and it is the 1st piece to break. But we do have lousy luck with our tableware. For the most part we have pieces from 2 different old sets, which don't quite make up a full set. So I found some polycarbonate plates, salad plates, and bowls and bought 12 of each. I figure they will last a good long time, and we would have to work really hard to break them. I won't even have to buy special dinnerware for the baby since the baby can toss them about without any worries too.

Of course, with all this running around buying stuff I have been too tired to cook. I actually had a PB&J sandwich last night for dinner. Simply couldn't make myself do anything more. Which is a laugh because for the past week I have been cooking and freezing things for after the baby comes. But I won't touch them–I know I will feel so much more tired AFTER the baby. I did make a bunch of spiced nuts and stuff for snacks which are healthy, and since they only take 5-10 minutes to cook up each time I have been pigging out on them. And me the gourmet vegetarian...

I can't believe how close I am to the birth at this point. I'm still not scared, just amazed that I have actually made it this far. Even though I am huge and everyone keeps saying things like "Wow, you still haven't had the baby? How much longer?" I feel like I should have more time. At least the nursery is all prepared. I have the carseat, just need to install it now–I think I need a degree in engineering to figure it out though : :

Time for a nap!
Old 06-11-2005, 05:36 PM

I just got back from a rather pricey trip to the grocery store. I've been sooooo tired that cooking is just at the bottom of the list for me. I stocked up on frozen pizza, frozen veggies, frozen fruit - all those things I would normally make, but I don't even want to take the time to slice up fruit right now! It is exhausting to stand at the sink, clean it, slice it, and then have to clean up the mess....lazy I know. I'm crock potting most of our bigger meals these days because I don't want the house to heat up from the oven and if you use a crock pot there is only one dish to clean. I will not use paper plates....okay, maybe I will, but I forgot to buy them...sigh....
Old 06-11-2005, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Pom

LOL, MoD, are you channeling me? We just got back from a pricey market trip yesterday and a Target trip today.

I broke down and bought a big new replacement crock pot. I can't stand the little one my friend gave me....1) you can't take the middle out to clean it, so it just sits there on my counter or sink, too initimidating to put the whole thing in the sink in my current state which makes me not want to use it....2) I can't double recipies in it, so my whole big trip to the grocery store would be 2x the amount of work in cooking with the little one...I have NO ENERGY to cook...and if I do (ie I just made my fave bean salad for a party we're heading out to), I certainly can't be bothered to clean. I can't even STAND long enough to clean...and I know it's just going to get worse, so I broke down and bought the replacement and plan to start cooking for when the baby comes this weekend. First item: Ropa Vieja, one of our faves.

I think I'm also gonna send DH to the Dream Dinners place.

Cresor - Glad you found a cam corder! Warning with Circuit city -- KEEP EVERYTHING THAT WAS IN THE BOX! Including directions. They won't take it back if one little thing is missing. I have had a huge fight with them over this, and have in fact, banned them from my life.

Welcome, Violet!

Leos - Your mom is funny. Sorry bout the puking. Ugh.

Valerie _ I've done that, too!

Dars - Good luck with the move!

Shay - Argh. You know, I was always the big bread winner until I got laid off (wow- almost 2 yrs ago!) and I"M STILL ADJUSTING to feeling like I contribute enough. DH is super cool about it, but it's there. ANd if anyone else commented, oh boy. I'd feel horrid. Especially family. I tend to overcompensate for stuff like that -- just jump the gun and make it a joke, how "poor DH" is being such an angel picking up his slow moving, pregnant wife's slack...that way I feel everyone at least knows I KNOW I'm slacking and he's being superman....somehow I think it makes them judge less. But that's MY issue. You shouldn't give a damn how this man thinks no matter how much he's done for you!!! (but I talk bigger than I am, lol. I'm worried when my stepmom comes here and sees that I've bought some Method cleaning products or sees my (old) Laura Mercier makeup she'll think I'm crying wolf about being broke.) Anyway. Hope you're feeling better about the whole thing. He's obviously so old school and doesn't know what's going on.

Sorry if I missed anyone...gotta go to a party...all I want to do is SLEEP!
Old 06-12-2005, 03:06 AM

Well, I am anxious to see if I get any sleep. Thinking of making dh and dd sleep on her twin (poor dh's legs hang off the end but I don't care).

I just took a shower, made a cup of tea, and all I got for my troubles is sitting here feeling sweaty and hot. LOL I am literally peeing non stop as well. It is just getting ridiculous.

Oh, took dd to her sibling prep class. The nurse teaching the class was quite amazed that I was 37 weeks along. "wow, you don't look that pregnant at all". Yes, I get that quite a lot. I really don't know what to say to that. Oh, we also got a mini tour of the birthing center (which was good since I never got around to taking a tour). I am ready, really ready for things to get going.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:51 AM

We were supposed to go visit a museum in a nearby town today - as a family - but after going out to buy some bread (only a 5 min walk away) I was soooo tired I told dh I couldn't do it. So he took ds on his own. The trip involves two buses and a train, plus walking around the museum, and I am getting tired just thinking about it!

I find myself actually planning my day so that I have to expend as little energy as possible. I don't cook every day anymore, and when I do, it is more likely to include some freezer food. The only thing I still enjoy is making a pie occasionally!

The last week of June my dh will be gone for 5 days, and I am dreading it. DS goes to daycare for a few hours a day during the week, so that gives me a break, but what in heaven's name am I going to do with him for an entire weekend? He is almost 4 years old and very active. He can't just give him a book to read. I might try to line up a play date for both days, but since school vacation has started here now, a lot of people are away. Oh well. Something will sort itself out.

User Tag List