Relaxing or Inducing Labor with Clary Sage ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-13-2005, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A woman I work with mentioned that a mid-wife told her that the herb mix "Clary Sage" helps relax a woman in labor--- and in the final days of pregnancy can actually help bring on labor. I'm only 36 weeks so I'm staying away from it for now... but I did pick some up at the co-op the other day in hopes that it might come in handy around the due date or during labor. Now, I just need someone who knows what to do with it.

Anyone?
#2 of 7 Old 06-15-2005, 12:19 AM

Nevah heard of it - let us know what you find out
#3 of 7 Old 06-15-2005, 09:24 AM

I love Clary Sage, it smells yummy, and is supposed to be 'uplifting' and helpful for moods. have stayed away from it during pregnancy, think it was on a list of things not to use, but hadn't heard about anything with labor. I'll google and see if I can find anything.

anyone else?
#4 of 7 Old 06-15-2005, 11:02 AM

I googled "clary sage for labor" and this is just a sample of what I got! ***AND, I also *did* see warnings to NOT use during pregnancy, *except* for during labor.

http://www.moondragon.org/aromatherapy/aromabirth.html
"CLARY-SAGE
This essential oil must not be confused with sage. Don't use sage for the baby's sake - it leaves too high toxic residues in the body. Clary sage is a milder version, although still should be used with care.

Helps respiratory, muscular, and uterine systems.
Mild analgesic.
Facilitates birth; uterine tonic.
Euphoric.
Helps breathing by calming the lower part of the spinal cord."

http://www.naturesgift.com/childbirth.htm (there's also an interesting study noted on this page.)
"The list below came from a Doula in British Columbia:
Clary Sage-relieves tension, brings on labor, helps with expelling afterbirth
Geranium Rose-enhances circulation and is good for labor management techniques which focus on breathing
Jasmine-dulls uterine pain, strengthens contractions, promotes birth and increases milk supply. Excellent when mixed with lavender and a carrier oil of Evening Primrose and Vit. E for perinial and cervical massage
Lavender-dulls and eases uterine pain but also increases the strength of contractions while calming the mother. Great for reducing stretch marks!
Myrrh- speeds labor, opens cervix
Neroli-reduces fear, tension, insomnia, apprehension, anxiety
Rose-cleansing effect on the uterus, antidepressant, softens ligaments (easier to open pelvis to push for larger babies and smaller Mamas)"
#5 of 7 Old 06-15-2005, 07:05 PM

Ohhh, I've got to get me some of that, too.

Mom to DD1 reading.gif (11) & DD2 shine.gif homebirth.jpg(7) & DS babyboy.gif  h20homebirth.gif (9/10/12)

#6 of 7 Old 06-15-2005, 09:05 PM

So what do you do with those things - like lavendar, myhrr, rose, etc.? Do you eat them?
#7 of 7 Old 06-16-2005, 05:20 AM

They are essential oils which you can buy at the pharmacy - just like homeopathic remedies and mix them for massage with a carrier oil such as sweet almond oil or for burning or put in the bath - my fav - lavendar is great in the bath - look on the website posted by pellifolli and you'll find out what to do.

I have homeopathic remedies if anyone is interested - last time for me collophollum really helped and it is the homeopathic equivalent of RLT - you just have to rely on dh a little to give you the stuff!! Much better than the pic anyway!!

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page