Finally right?

Here are the stats and pictures before I forget

Born Friday July 15th, 2005
10 pounds 6 oz 22.5 inches long
12:26pm
Swedish Hospital Seattle, WA

http://www.sarahbrowndesign.com/jake/DSCF0042.JPG
http://www.sarahbrowndesign.com/jake/DSCF0057.JPG

Well if you are ever pregnant again and spend months planning the perfect birth expect the totall opposite to happen LOL! I was NOT expecting anything to happen the way it did!

So on Thursday I had a routine ultrasound to check fluids because I was 41 weeks. We went in and Jake wasn't moving much at all and there was no fetal breathing. That was alarming but his heartrate was fine and everything else looked ok....besides the fact that he wasn't moving much either but I just figured it was his quiet time. Of course the ultrasounds measure "approximate weight" and they were measuring Jake at 11lb 5oz...the radiologist told me he was too big to deliver and I had to tell her I didn't think so : ) She then looked at me and said "you mean to tell me that you would attempt to deliver an 11 pound baby vaginally???" and I just smiled and said "yeah, why not?" Wish I had a camera for the look on her face.

Anyhow. Since there was no fetal breathing I had to go see my midwife right after that appt for a non stress test on the baby. We get all hooked up and again he isn't moving much at all. Heart rate was ok...hard to find that was about it. They were a little worried. So then they take my blood pressure...it was 140 something over 90 something...too damn high basically. So they said that's it we are transferring you to a hospital right now your baby is trying to tell us something and we aren't taking any chances you are getting induced. (just what I was trying to avoid). Well usually we go to the Univeristy Hospital but they were full and a good thing I guess because the OB on call there that night is a total jerk. So I went to Swedish...I was a little worried I have heard a few bad stories from there as well.

We got a pep talk from my midwife who went with me on how to approach the hospital staff so we could get as much as we wanted from the birth center. Not to go in all "we are doing this and too bad what you say" So of course when the dr's find out he is possibly 11 pounds they automatically recommend C-section. I kindly told them that I would like to avoid that at all costs and would prefer laboring as long as I could.

I finally got a room around 10pm. They were going to give me some cervical gell to get me going but I guess the stress of it all got me going by myself...thank GOD! So I was in pre-labor...sort of erratic contractions but they were there and my body did it itself. So the next thing was pitocin to regulate....again then my body just kicked in and started regulating on it's own so they gave me just a whiff of pitocin...thankfully! My midwife had already left at this time and my doula had shown up.

About 2am or so I started getting contractions that I needed to concentrate through. Kim was great she talked me through them and I just pictured each contraction as a wave of water and I was on my boogie board just riding the waves out to sea staying on top of the water.

I have to say our nurse Rebecca was AWESOME! So great!

So I changed positions when I started hurting more. Got into the tub that was great. I can't remember what time the contractions started to get harder but I do remember needing to now moan or "sing" though them. There was more position changing more water. Then.....what really felt like TRANSITION>>>.ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ouch!

Kim ended up having to leave about 6:30 in the morning because she was going out of town...I know perfect timing right? figures with babies. I knew I was in transition and I knew I was going to break down. So paul called my midwife and told her he thought I was in transition and that she should come to support. She said she heard me in the background and would be right there.

About 8am the dr..resident...came to check my cervix again...oh I must say this was the sexiest dr in the world! Definitely made parts of labor easier LOL!!! Well they decided that I was complete and there was the water. They of course like to break it but I wanted it to do that. However they did say that they would be nervous about breaking my water before it was ready because his head was still floating and there could be cord in front. So we decided to do more positions to get his head down. My water eventually broke with a squatting bar but Jake just didn't feel like dropping. And the part that really sucked was I was now at 7cm because the water bag was holding me open. If Jake's head would have been there I would have stayed complete.

By this time it was like I hit transition again. I was really listening to my body and what it was telling me and I was just feeling like I couldn't get to the end naturally anymore. I caved : ) and asked for an epidural just to rest to the end so I would have the strength to push Jake out. Unfortunately things started getting worse. While I was getting the epidural and shortly thereafter Jake's heartrate started to really decline during contractions. At one point he went down to 40...bad bad bad. The OB decided to let me just lay there and rest for a while and labor out to see if he just needed a rest. We did that and his heart rate got better. I dialated fully...again and was ready to push.

I pushed for what Paul said was about 45 minutes and was getting no-where. Jake was just lodged in a weird position and was not coming out. We were also still worried about his heartrate and weather or not he could tolerate coming down the canal.

So to the c-section room we went. I was and still am very at peace with the fact that I had and needed a c-section. But MAN I wanted to prove those dr’s wrong. Now I am just another person who couldn’t deliver a baby over 10 pounds. I know it is possible for someone to deliver a 10 pound baby but in this situation I personally could not deliver this particular baby.

Anyway Jake is a great breast feeder has a great latch. We are having a few issues but he is still new and we can work them out. We are just at home now recovering and relaxing. Riley is adjusting sometimes better than others. We are working on remembering that even though she may seem so big to us right now she is still a little one herself and her world just got turned upside down.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#2 of 23 Old 07-19-2005, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WOW!!!! Let me be the first on the board to say:

"CONGRATULATIONS- MANY BLESSINGS" to you and your family. 10 lbs- Whew Jake I can't wait to see pictures of you in a few weeks?
LOL

Enjoy your baby!
#3 of 23 Old 07-19-2005, 04:02 PM

Wow - what a story!

Congrats on the birth of BIG Jacob!
#4 of 23 Old 07-19-2005, 05:17 PM

Congratulations and welcome Jake! My aunt birthed at Swedish in May and had a good experience, I'm glad yours was as well.
#5 of 23 Old 07-19-2005, 05:38 PM

Well done - you really stuck to your guns and gave the best you could - that really is something. Congratulations and am glad all is going well - at long last I hear you say!!

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#6 of 23 Old 07-19-2005, 05:57 PM

Congratulations! He's marvelous!

Mom to DD1 reading.gif (11) & DD2 shine.gif homebirth.jpg(7) & DS babyboy.gif  h20homebirth.gif (9/10/12)

#7 of 23 Old 07-19-2005, 06:21 PM

Congratualtions! Jacob is beautiful.
#8 of 23 Old 07-19-2005, 07:02 PM

Congratulations

I tell my doula clients all the time "empowered birth takes many forms"......sounds like you had a respectful empowering birth and that you made the decisions you needed to make for yourself and your son.

Blessings to your family.
Jeanette
#9 of 23 Old 07-19-2005, 07:27 PM

Congratulations! What a beautiful baby!
#10 of 23 Old 07-19-2005, 08:38 PM

Congratulations! :

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#11 of 23 Old 07-19-2005, 10:34 PM

Well it's about time !!

KWYM about wanting to prove you could push out a 10 lb baby, but you did the best you could, and that's all anyone can ever ask! I'm so glad you and Jake are happy and healthy (love his name, btw). Congratulations, and welcome to big little Jacob!!

Shana
EDD 7/29/05

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#12 of 23 Old 07-19-2005, 11:15 PM

Congrats!! You have such a great attitude about everything that happened! That's what makes for being at peace and having good memories! You were great with the radiologist and Dr's at a stressful time, too. Bravo!
#13 of 23 Old 07-20-2005, 01:35 AM

Congratulations to one strong mama and a beautiful family!
#14 of 23 Old 07-20-2005, 12:04 PM

So happy for you, Soccer!!

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#15 of 23 Old 07-20-2005, 10:02 PM

congratulations!!

so happy you are at peace with everything since it didn't go the way you originally wished for!
#16 of 23 Old 07-20-2005, 10:41 PM

Congrats! I am not just saying this but he is a really good looking baby!
I hope you are recovering nicely from your CS. I ended up with another CS for this baby as well.
take care
#17 of 23 Old 07-20-2005, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpmom
Congrats! I am not just saying this but he is a really good looking baby!
Awww Shucks! Thanks

Of course I am biased and think he is the freaking cutest thing in the world.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#18 of 23 Old 07-21-2005, 02:09 AM
Pom

Wow Wow wow and look how happy Riley looks!! (and yeah, he IS really good looking!)
#19 of 23 Old 07-21-2005, 09:37 AM

Congrats and welcome Jacob!!

Krista, crafty blogging mama to four
#20 of 23 Old 07-24-2005, 04:18 PM

Congrats Sarah! Beautiful baby!
#21 of 23 Old 07-24-2005, 04:26 PM

Congrats!!! What beautiful children!! It's wonderful that you're so positive about the experience - I love that you stuck to your guns when you needed to, and listened to your body throughout. Kudos to you!!!
#22 of 23 Old 08-03-2005, 11:14 AM

Congratulations!
#23 of 23 Old 08-03-2005, 11:14 AM

Congrats!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page