Graciela Anne is here, but sick - need good thoughts... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 07-28-2005, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She arrived on her due date! July 26th at 6:42 AM after 6 hours of labor and 10 min. of pushing. I did it all naturally! I cant believe it!

But now things are not going so well. Baby looked great when she was born - apgars were 8/9 and she nursed right away and for a long time. They came to give her a bath and saw that she was breathing very fast which is a sign of infection or fluid in the lungs. So she went to the newborn nursery (we are in a small, low tech hospital so there is no NICU here) for observation. They did a blood test and her white blood cell count was very low and her breathing (which should be about 30-50 times a min.) was 120 times a min.

So now she is on antibiotics for at least three days. We are waiting for the blood culture to come back to see what kind of infection it is. If its a minor one all she needs is the 3 days, if its more serious (like pnumonia) she will need 7-10 days.

She had a chest x-ray the yesterday which was very bad - lungs almost all white which means lots of fluid. They did another today which looks much, much better, almost normal so that is great news. But her breathing is still around 88-92.

Because of the fast breathing she cant eat by mouth at all because she could asperate it so she is getting fluids through IV. She also has to be in a little oxygen tent.

Things have been pretty tough for me - its so hard to see her hooked up to all the machines and not be able to hold or nurse her. She is doing better today but the progress is slow. She wants to nurse so badly - she just roots around and cries. The pacifier only helps for a min. then she spits it out.

I was able to nurse her for an hour or so right after birth - before she started having trouble - which is good and bad. Good because she knows how to do it now so hopefully wont have any trouble when we can start again and also good that she got some colostrum before the antibiotics but bad because now she knows what she is missing and is miserable.

They are hoping tomorrow to wean her off the oxygen and if her breathing is ok after that I can feed her. I have been pumping every three hours around the clock so my milk will come in so I am pretty exhausted - not much time for uninterupted sleep and when I can fall asleep I dont sleep well, waking a lot wanting to go see her.

Tonight has been the roughest for me so far - I went in to the nursery to take milk and see her and she was screaming - just not happy and nothing calmed her down until I asked the nurse to swaddle her. After that she fell asleep. It was so hard to see her like that and not be able to comfort her (my instinct was to pick her up and nurse her) that I just bawled when I got back to my room and have not been able to stop crying since - off and on.

I went back a little later after the nursing shift change and I really like the nurse who is on tonight. He had her little bed remade with support all around her and had her swaddled up tightly - she was sound asleep. He told me if I wanted to come back at midnight he would be doing her assesments and would let me change her and hold her for a while. I have only been able to hold her twice since she has been in the nursery.

Labor was something else! I am still sort of in shock that I did it all naturally. I handled it pretty well until transition, that is the most unbeliveable pain but by then its too late to do anything about it so you just have to get through it. Luckily labor was only 6 hours and only 1 hour of the part that was unbearable. I pushed through 3 contractions - about 10 min. and she was out. They think that is why she is having the breathing trouble - she came out so fast she took in a lot of fluid on the way out.

My doula was soooo awsome - I couldnt have done it without her, she really kept me focused. And the tub - well laboring in water is just the best thing ever!

Unfortunately DH didnt make it in time - he got here about 2 hours after she was born. I am sad he missed the actual birth but I think it might be better that he wasnt here for the labor - he wouldnt have known what to do and I think the intensity of it all might have been too much for him - just hard for him to see me in so much pain.

Anyway - sorry this got so long. I never thought anything like this would happen. Just planned on having a healthy baby and going home like I did with Max. She is just so precious and small (good sized baby but still seems so tiny). Luckily I can stay here with her for now - once I am discharged tomorrow night they have a nesting room where I can stay. Hopefully I wont have to go home without her.

I am going to work on the actual birth story soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 07-28-2005, 04:19 AM

Congrats, Morgan! I am sorry your little girl is so sick and that you have to be separated from her! It sounds like torture, although it is wonderful to know that she is improving. Hopefully she will be off the oxygen very soon and you can comfort her, hold her, and nurse her. I'm glad that labor went well, even though it may have been GA's fast descent that caused the fluid.

#3 of 27 Old 07-28-2005, 04:43 AM

Congrats, Morgan!

So sorry to hear she's ill. I hope she improves rapidly and that you'll be able to hold her, and get to take her home, very soon.
#4 of 27 Old 07-28-2005, 05:40 AM

popping in from August...

congratulations mama on your natural birth! I am sorry to hear your baby is sick. just remember they are so resilant and I'm sure your daughter is as strong as her mama. your family is in my thoughts and prayers

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#5 of 27 Old 07-28-2005, 05:55 AM

I will say a prayer for her swift recovery.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#6 of 27 Old 07-28-2005, 07:27 AM

Congratulations on your natural birth and on your precious little girl! I'm sorry she's so sick, and I'll be praying for a quick recovery.

At-home mom to a teenager, an infant, and three in between!
#7 of 27 Old 07-28-2005, 07:44 AM

I saw this thread while doing a new post search and just wanted to say congratulations!! Sending lots of healing vibes for you and Graciela Anne .
#8 of 27 Old 07-28-2005, 08:35 AM
tug

hi, i also found this while surfing new posts and just wanted you to know that here's another momma who'll be thinking of both of you and wishing graciela anne heals quickly and can come home to you soon.
#9 of 27 Old 07-28-2005, 11:05 AM

Oh Morgan

I'm so sorry Graciela is sick. It sounds like she is getting better, but what an absolutely horrible thing to go through -- for both of you. To not be able to hold or nurse her, and to know she's so unhappy.

I'm so glad the labor went well, and I'm sending healing thoughts your way, and hoping she is better soon and in your arms.

Shana
EDD 7/29/05

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#10 of 27 Old 07-28-2005, 12:37 PM

First off, congrats on your baby girl!!!!

Second off, I will be thinking of you both and sending good thoughts your way. Let us know when she is home!
#11 of 27 Old 07-28-2005, 01:36 PM

Congratulations on the birth of sweet Graciela and her powerful, natural birth! We will be sending all thoughts and good wishes to you and your family and wish for her quick healing. I am so sorry you are not able to nurse, hold her, comfort her, etc. now and will hope that all of those wonderful moments come soon, soon, soon.

Keep us posted and know there are a lot of mamas and families around the world sending good thoughts your way right now.
#12 of 27 Old 07-28-2005, 01:42 PM

Oh Morgan, I was going to post here today and check in on you. Please, please, please let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do. I am happy to help out in any way I can - I'm not too far from your hospital and am happy to run errands, etc - I'm probably heading that way tonight to see my midwife actually, so just let me know.

Jeanette
#13 of 27 Old 07-28-2005, 03:34 PM

Oh that just makes me cry.

I'm so sorry she's sick.

But congratulations on your new daughter!

Mom to DD1 reading.gif (11) & DD2 shine.gif homebirth.jpg(7) & DS babyboy.gif  h20homebirth.gif (9/10/12)

#14 of 27 Old 07-28-2005, 09:17 PM

Congratulations! Welcome, Graciela (what a beautiful name), although I'm very sorry your first few days in this world are so rough. You'll be healthy and nursing soon, sweet child! I'll be praying for you and for your mama, daddy, and big brother!

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#15 of 27 Old 07-29-2005, 12:26 AM
Pom

(((MORGAN))) -- AT MIDNIGHT I WILL BE THINKING of you holding little graciela! Congrats on the birth, and good luck with getting her home soon === and in your arms where she obviously knows is best!
#16 of 27 Old 07-30-2005, 12:19 AM

morgan, so sorry that graciela isn't doing so well! Sending you and her positive vibes!!! congats on the wonderful birth ... hoping baby will be home with you and max soon & that your dh gets to spend lots of time with all of you
#17 of 27 Old 07-30-2005, 11:38 PM

Welcome and best wishes to Graciela! I have you all in my thoughts and prayers. Here's wishing you a super-speedy recovery. Please PM me if you want any lactation help!!

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#18 of 27 Old 07-31-2005, 10:11 PM

any word from Morgan, anyone?

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#19 of 27 Old 08-02-2005, 02:56 PM

Congratulations on your baby and natural vaginal birth!

I will keep her and your family in my prayers.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#20 of 27 Old 08-02-2005, 08:40 PM

I was just thinking about you today, Morgan. Congratulations and I'm so glad Graciela is here! I'm sorry she's sick though. You both will be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care!! s

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#21 of 27 Old 08-02-2005, 08:49 PM

Congratulations Morgan!Welcome to the world sweet Graciela!

I'm so sorry she isn't feeling well and i am sure things will get better soon.She will get the help she needs and then she will be all yours to hold and hold and hold!Much love~
#22 of 27 Old 08-02-2005, 10:38 PM

Warm thoughts to you all
#23 of 27 Old 08-02-2005, 11:05 PM

Congratulations, Morgan, and I am praying for your sweet baby girl...

Mama K: Child of God, wife to S, mama to 3 little beauties and 1 handsome little guy!

#24 of 27 Old 08-02-2005, 11:13 PM

Sending you lots of hugs and love. GREAT work brining your babe into the world! I'm sorry the babymoon is interrupted by her lungs. I hope she heals quickly and completely! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Much much love, Morgan!
Claire

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#25 of 27 Old 08-03-2005, 12:13 AM

congratulations on the natural birth! and welcome to your sweet graciela (love the name btw)

for a speedy recovery and many

namaste.gif

#26 of 27 Old 08-05-2005, 05:04 PM

Congratulations, Morgan! And, my eyes totally teared up reading about the hard time you're going through because it reminded me of my first week (well, 13 days total) of motherhood where I didn't get to comfort/nurse/hold my baby much either (and not at all the first few days when he was in an incubator). I'm soooooo sorry you're going through this. But, I also remember that once the buggle came home and we got to spend alllll our time snuggled up with him in the sling and breastfeeding on demand, we both forgot all about that rough hospital-y start, and just got down to some major bonding that has still been going on and just the most wonderful experience ever. I know as soon as Graciela is all fine and wonderful on the health front you two are going to make up for lost time and be such the perfect pair.
#27 of 27 Old 08-07-2005, 01:55 PM

Congrats Morgan!!!
My thoughts are with your daughter and hope all is well. Cameron gulped in some fluid as he was born and had to be watched for a few hours after birth, and Liam passed his meconium prior to birth so he too had to be monitored to make sure he didn't take any in. It is really scary to know something is not right with your baby, and I'll be thinking about you and your family.
Donna

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page