Max is here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-07-2005, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't written out my story yet, but Maxwell Joseph was born at home on July 23rd. 7 pounds 9 ounces and 20 3/4 inches long. Furry brown hair and cute monkey hair allover his body, like all my kids have had

Basically Labor started that morning at 4 am but ended after a few hours. Then at 6:30 pm it started up again with a vengence. Really bad. A minute on/a minute off. like transition. My midwife showed up and checked me and said 4cm. I was like there is no way!! (BTW, i forgot to use my hypnobrthing :LOL) Within minutes I was in like a MAJOR transition and pushing. My MW felt again and said 8 cm. But I could not control the pushing. I got in the tub thinking maybe I could slow things down a bit but it just got even more intense. I was like still feeling the pain of transition and pushing at the same time. His head was coming down low. After 5 minutes his heartrate dropped and wasn't coming up between contractions. The transition pain continued throughout the whole pushing phase. It sucked! I never imagined that happenning, last time the labor pain, especially the intense pain of transition ended before the pushing urges started. This time transition continued through the whole pushing phase, WTF? It even hurt really bad when the midwife put the doppler on my belly, excruciating, I don' know why I was so sensitive. His elbow was presenting with his head, the MW tried to push it back and he ended up with a nuchal hand. I blasted him out, with no tears, not even a skidmark, after my MW put the oxygen mask over my face. He was born at 7:50pm. He came out blue and white and not breathing or responsive. He had a heartrate but it was really low. I tried to give him a couple breaths while the MW cut his cord (after asking if it was OK with me) and they couldn't get him to breathe so they gave him a few breaths with the bag and mask. Once he started breathing he was still breathing really slow so they bagged him a minute. Then just gave him some blow by O2 while I got out of the tub and settled into bed. They handed him to me and he latched on right away. From there on out everything was pretty normal. The MW's cleaned up, tucked us in. DH had to play a show that night in town so he put DS (the 3yo) to sleep. One of the midwives stayed with me for a little while after he left. She emptied and cleaned the birthing tub and then left. Baby and I had a little while all to ourselves. It was waaay crazy compared to my last homebirth.

Thank g-d I was at home, I can only imagine the horrible things that could have happenned had we been at the hospital.
#2 of 7 Old 08-07-2005, 06:52 PM

Congratulations Kimberly, and welcome to Max!! I'm so glad everything turned out well .

Shana

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#3 of 7 Old 08-07-2005, 08:26 PM

Congrats!!! Welcome Max!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara
But I could not control the pushing. I got in the tub thinking maybe I could slow things down a bit but it just got even more intense. I was like still feeling the pain of transition and pushing at the same time. His head was coming down low. After 5 minutes his heartrate dropped and wasn't coming up between contractions. The transition pain continued throughout the whole pushing phase. It sucked! I never imagined that happenning, last time the labor pain, especially the intense pain of transition ended before the pushing urges started. This time transition continued through the whole pushing phase, WTF?
This sounds similar to what I experienced. With my first, once the dilation contractions were over, the pain went away totally. I had a lull in the labor during which I just wanted to rest. I didn't even really want to push the baby out, but my midwives encouraged me to do so. Pushing didn't hurt at all either. It felt pretty good actually.

This time the pushing phase was much more intense. I was unattended, so I didn't have a pro to check my dilation, but I checked myself a few contractions before pushing and I still had a fair amount of cervix left. Still, I felt I *HAD* to push just a couple contractions later, but the pain didn't just leave. Once I got into a rhythm of pushing, the pain was much less, but it was as if the transition and the pushing phase were continuous. No lull in the labor, no wanting to just rest, etc. My baby seems to have been positioned well, so I don't think my pain was quite as bad as what you seem to be describing, but everything was much more intense this time. Maybe it was because we were dilating and pushing at the same time?
#4 of 7 Old 08-08-2005, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Maybe it was because we were dilating and pushing at the same time?
Totally, that is what I was thinking. Man, it was craaazy! It was kindof a good reality check as to how varied different labors can be, all 3 of mine now were so different. I knew it in my head that labors could be different, but when watching other women labor I still projected my own experiences and sometimes thought "this part doesn't hurt that bad". I'll never think something like that again lol! Now I know it much deeper.
#5 of 7 Old 08-09-2005, 01:47 PM

Congratulations!

Oh, and I was amazed too about how different births can be. I told the midwife that the only thing they had in common were that they were both vaginal and unmedicated.

Tom's birth was slow but relatively painless. Melanie's birth was relatively fast, very intensive, and definitely more painful! With Tom I was calm and collected throughout, with Melanie I almost lost it. After Tom's birth I was euphoric, after Melanie just glad it was over....
#6 of 7 Old 08-09-2005, 02:55 PM

Congratulations - sorry that the breathing thing was stressful but glad it all worked out well in the end - welcome to Max and well done mama.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#7 of 7 Old 08-09-2005, 04:43 PM

Welcome Max! Congrats mama. Glad it all turned out ok.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page