It's been a while, but here's our birth story!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-06-2005, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all! I never posted here much, but I thought I would come and post the birth story of my baby girl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We were scheduled for an induction on July 18th at 6:00am.
Me, my mom and Jeremy arrived at the hospital, got checked in and settled into the labor room.
The nurse came in around 8:00am to start my IV. I was really dreading that part b/c I am terrible w/ needles. She started it in my hand and got it in the vein. She started to draw the blood out of it for labwork and omg...I started feeling really woozy like I was about to pass out. Then my vein collapsed! So she had to withdraw the IV. I seriously almost fainted, so I told them to wait about 30 minutes before they tried again so I could regroup. SO later, another nurse came in to try again. This time she put it in my arm. It did hurt, but it wasn't so bad. Then they started the Pitocin drip. I couldn't tell a difference at all for a while.

The doctor came to visit around 8:30 am and I was 2cm dilated, 80% effaced and -2 station.
Nothing much happened for a while after that. My contractions weren't painful, just a little uncomfortable. I was able to get up as I wanted to and I tried the birthing ball and the rocking chair.
The nurses tried to check my cervix for dilation 2 different times during the day, but neither could reach it b/c of the position it was in.

All day, I had family members in and out visiting, etc. I chatted w/ the nurses and watched TV w/ Jeremy and my mom...pretty uneventful most of the day.

The doctor finally came in around 5:30pm to check me himself. I was still only 2cm dilated, but was now 90% effaced and -1 station.
He talked to me about my options and we decided to turn the Pitocin off and let my uterus and the baby rest overnight and re-start the Pitocin in the morning.

The transferred me to a private room on the PP unit for the night - the same room I would go to after delivery.

That night, all night I was having some strong contractions on my own. So strong that I needed some pain medicine to help me get through them enough to rest, but I still didn't rest much. I think I was just so anxious and scared about what the next day would bring.
The nurse came in at around 2:00am to put me on the monitor for about 30 minutes. I was definetly having contractions regularly. The baby looked awesome, heartrate was excellent.

I got out of bed at around 5:30am and took a shower, then got Jeremy up and he did the same. The nurse came in and took me back to the L&D room that I was in the day before.

THey started the Pitocin at around 6:30am.
The nurse checked my cervix and it had come down some and she didn't have any trouble getting to it.
I was just over 2cm at that time.

My contractions were getting pretty strong, so I got some Stadol, which helped me through them.
The doctor came in at about 8:30 and checked me and I was 4cms dilated and almost completely effaced.
He broke my water then, which was nothing! I thought that might be a little painful, but I didn't even feel it!

Soon after my water was broken, my contractions really started to get intense. I really wanted to wait a little longer about getting the epidural, so I did my best to cope through them.
I had awesome support from my mom and from Jeremy, so I got through each one.

The contractions just continued to keep getting stronger and closer together. Finally, it really became unbearable. The contractions were coming about a minute apart, so I barely had a break in between them...even the breaks were painful. It was so bad and I was trying to breathe through them, but that wasn't working. I actually started hyperventilating and caused my whole left side to go numb. The pain was so intense. I couldn't wait any longer. So I requested my epidural.
It took the anesthesiologist about 30 minutes to get there....and that was the longest 30 minutes of my life!! The contractions were still only about a minute apart and VERY painful.

Finally he got there. He had me sit on the side of the bed, and Jeremy was standing in front of me. He pushed on my spine, I guess to feel for the spaces in my back and omg..that hurt! Then he gave me a tiny shot of Lidocaine in my back to numb the area where he would insert the epi. I barely felt that. Then he he stuck the epi needle in and YOW! That did hurt! But just for a sec. The all of a sudden I felt a GUSH of fluid come out. I actually thought I had peed on myself, but then realized it was amniotic fluid gushing out. It seems like it came out forever!
As soon as he put the test dose in my epi cath, my legs started to go numb. And it wasn't long before I Couldn't feel the contractions anymore. It was such a huge relief!

After that, a few family members were coming in and out, taking turns sitting w/ me, giving my mom and Jeremy a break.

About 1 1/2 hrs after I got my epi, the nurse decided to re-check my cervix to see if I was making progress.
I was hoping to be at least 6cms. Boy, was I SHOCKED when she checked me and I was already complete!!

MY mom was in there w/ me, but Jeremy had stepped out to go talk to some family members. So we had to call him on his cell phone to hurry and come in there!

The nurse called the doc and he came in and checked me too. And he determined that I was completely dilated as well.
So they set me up to get ready to start pushing.
I was so nervous and still in shock kind of, but I was excited, thinking "This is it!"

The next two hours are kind of a blur. I know that I pushed SO damn hard. With every contraction, I gave it all I had trying to push that baby out. I just had a bad feeling like all my work just wasn't doing any good. I do remember after pushing for so long, I asked the doctor "Am I making any progress at all?" And he just looked down and shook his head "No". I was really upset after that, but still had hope.

I continued to push with the nurse, while the doctor left the room for a few minutes.
He came back, and still, I pushed hard some more. And I was still not making progress. The baby just wasn't coming down through my pelvis.

Finally, after 2 hours of pushing w/ all my might, the doc could see that I was exhausted, and he knew that she wasn't going to make it throught the birth canal and he advised a c-section.

I was devastated, but knew that I didn't really have a choice at that time. The doc said I could continue to push IF I wanted to until the OR team arrived, but he didn't think it would do any good, but I could if I wanted to. But by that time, I was so distraught and tired...completely exhausted. I didn't want to push any more...I couldn't push anymore. SO I decided to just take that short time to rest, cry, be w/ my mom and Jeremy and just try to cope with what I was about to face - the one thing I didn't want.

I was really upset and crying. Jeremy left the room to go tell all of our family members in the waiting room that I was going to have to have a c/s. Later everyone told me that he was just as upset about it as I was. He was crying in the waiting room, scared and worried about me and the baby. It was very emotional for him as well.
My mom stayed in the room w/ me. We hugged each other and cried together. She tried to comfort me as best she could, but I was just filled w/ emotion, so exhausted, upset, and most of all..just so ready for it all to be over and to have a baby in my arms.

The nurse prepped me for surgery - shaved my stomach and explained a bunch of things to me, which I never really fully heard. I was too exhausted and tired to listen.
The doctor came in and talked to me about the surgery and tried to calm me down and re-assure me that it would be fine.

The anesthesiologist came in and adjusted my epi for surgery and then we went the OR.

As I was being wheeled into the OR, I was greeted by my mom in the hallway, my dad and my sister. I was so scared.

They wheeled me into the OR. It was a green room w/ a bunch of bright lights. I'd seen so many ORs before, but somehow this one seemed different.
The transferred me to the operating table. I remember being scared that my epi wouldn't be enough and that I would feel them cut me. They put oxygen on me and rubbed betadine on my stomach, put the drawsheet up.
After that is kind of a blur.
Before I knew they had even started, I heard Jeremy say "OMG, OMG...Here she is!!" and then all of a sudden I felt like someone had just breathed fresh air into my lungs. It was the strangest feeling as they pulled her out. She was born into this world at 4:21pm.
Then they held her up above the curtain for me to see. I remember the first thing I did was look to make sure she was a girl!!
It was instant love. An amazing feeling...it's undescribable what I felt when I looked at her for the first time.

Then Jeremy cut the cord and they took her over to the warmer to clean her up. I watched the whole time and kind of forgot for a brief moment that I was laying there on the operating table cut open!

After they got her wrapped up, they handed to her Jeremy. Then he laid her on my chest and I was just completely amazed. She was so beautiful. I just laid there studying her little nose and lips, rubbing her forehead w/ my thumb. She was so precious and perfect.
I only got to hold her for a brief time before they took her to the nursery.
Jeremy followed the nurse to go to the nursery and be with them.

I don't remember ANYTHING after that except being wheeled into recovery. Apparently, my BP shot up and they had to give me something to knock me out while they sewed me up.

When I got in the recovery room, the nurse checked my incision to make sure it wasn't bleeding and she massaged my uterus to make it contract. And she stood there w/ me and filled out a bunch of paper work while I 'recovered'.
I stayed in recovery for about 45 minutes.

In the meantime, Jeremy was in the nursery w/ the baby, helping to clean her and watching as the nurse did her assessments and everything.
A whole crew of family and friends were watching through the nursery window, taking videos and pictures.

Finally, they wheeled me out of recovery to go to my room. First, though, they took me to the nursery window where I got to see the baby.

Then they took me to my PP room and I got settled in and family members came in and out to see me. They brought the baby to me and I breastfed her for the first time. I was still pretty drugged up, but wasn't in any pain at that time.

Overall, the c/s and recovery after wasn't as bad as I had originally thought. It took a while for the epidural to wear off, so I had some pretty decent pain relief just from that the first 24 hours.

I just remember how unbelieveable THIRSTY I was! But I couldn't have anything by mouth until 8 hours after my c/s. But one nice nurse let me have ice chips at about 10:00pm.
Then at 12:00 midnight, I got to have a Sprite. It was the best sprite I had ever tasted!!!

They made me sit up on the side of the bed the next morning. That was painful, but not too bad. I got to eat breakfast, but wasn't at all hungry. I just ate b/c I had to.
That whole day was pretty painful. But I did get up and walk, even took a shower. I had too..they made me. But I wanted to anyway.

The 2nd day after was even more painful than the previous, but I just tried to get up and walk every couple hours so that I wouldn't be so sore. And all in all...even that day wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The doc came in to see me and said that since I was doing so good, I could go home a day early if I wanted to...and I did! I was sick of being hospitalized.
So the next day, at about 1:30pm...we all went home.

And that's about it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope all the July mommies and babies are doing well!
#2 of 2 Old 01-27-2006, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congradulations on the baby girl!!!!!
Sorry you ended up with the c-section...

mother to E-(8).... A-(6) .... & N-(5)
Vivian Claire born 3-11-10.... ...still an , extendedmomma :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page