Amelias birth story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-07-2005, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
THE WAIT IN THE LABOUR WARD

We arrived around 6:45am and were the first to go down for the C section and sat in the labour ward until around 9:30 when they asked me to go through to the theatre.

The Domino midwife Debbie who was supposed to be with me was off doing a home birth and a lovely 'scrubs' midwife Monica came in and read my notes and she was absolutely bubbly and excited to see that I had wanted to make the whole operation experience a positive birthing process still and she came up trumps and did her best to help in that

However, this other dopy midwife called Victoria came into the room and said that she will be my midwife for the delivery... I wanted to run there and then, she was late for work cause she 'forgot what shift she was on' , I'm thinking... I DON'T CARE!!!! I care that you look incompetent, simple and slow

I was nervous at this time because I remember how much I hated having the epidural in so I wanted hubby to be with me and grabbed his hand dragging him into the room with me, the nurse asked if I had gained special permission to have him with me - I said 'I want to keep him with me for as long as possible' poor hubby had nail imprints in his hand where I was holding it so tight.

Eventually the doctors came into the room and he was asked to leave for a short period (which turned into 40 mins of pain) he didn't listen when I screamed that there was a pain shooting into my left butt cheek/leg - the midwife, the consultant and someone else was all repeating my point that NO it wasn't ok it was hurting STILL (as an add in note to this bit - when he came round to my bed 2 days later for a follow up feedback for his tick box survey for college I guess... on how my 'experience' was I was still so elated with Amelia and drugged up on painkillers that I said "Yes, fine thank you" I'M SO BRITISH - the actual point I'm trying to make at the beginning of my journalling this process is this...

It doesn't matter how much you plan/prepare/request or demand you 'get what your given' at the end of the day I can't believe that I can't control everything!!!

I asked about taking photos and they said not during but after was fine

When hubby was allowed back into the room he sat to the side of me, I told him that he couldn't take photos and was trying to whisper to him to put on the recording facility instead but he was just past caring, he was ashen faced

Monica reminded the Doctors that I wanted the screen brought down to see the baby.

I waited, kept asking hubby to check the clock, the doctors said right... ready, seconds later a splutter, followed by a loud yelling cry, (a few people commented how unusual it was to have a baby born of a C Section have such good lungs so quickly) they lowered the screen and shoved the babies bum at my face saying 'Its a girl' (I guess I should have explained a bit better the angle I was looking to store in my mind of the first time I ever saw my baby) I later said to hubby that my first thought was how much she looked like him... he hasn't laughed once when I repeat my thought!

DADDY CUTTING THE CORD

Monica called Chris over to the resuss table, he made sure he didn't look at what was going on with the doctors at my tummy but said he saw the kidney bowl full of AB which was quite enough!!!

He was given the set of blunt scissor type things and needed several goes to go through the cord... over at the table one of the people said that there was a little ceremony going on - with photos etc

Chris and Amelia came back and I was handed her, she layed on my chest for a while and I got lots of kisses from my lovely hubby who had found the whole experience intense.

Then hubby and Amelia went off to the recovery room to wait for my op to be finished.

TUBAL LIGATION

At this time I had my LHT tube tied and I had also asked them to take a look at my RHT which had been removed when I had the Ectopic in 2002 - ever since then I have had really painful periods every other month so I thought that I had scar tissue and asked them to check it out. It turns out that there HAD BEEN a 'cut' in the tube and she had taken some more of it away, hopefully that will sort that out!!!

I began passing in and out of a sleepy, headachy, sicky state. It turned out that during this time my BP was really low and I lost 400ml of blood.

I got taken into the Recovery room at 11:40 where I should have stayed for a bit, however, I didn't stop bleeding and flooded through tons of maternity pads and bed protective pads, and my blood pressure was at one time I looked 153 over 94 not sure what that means but the midwife Victoria had called the doctors in because it was too high and I ended up staying in recovery until 7:45pm.

When it was time for Victoria to go off shift I was really really greatful that she had been such a fantastic nurse, she was so kind to me and considerate and respectful of my dignity. She seemed slow but ended up being very methodical and had monitored in great detail (in the UK NHS this is a rare occurance at the best of times). I thanked her from the bottom of my heart and felt very guilty for writing her off as slow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-27-2006, 02:12 PM

Congradulations on your beautiful baby!!!!

mother to E-(8).... A-(6) .... & N-(5)
Vivian Claire born 3-11-10.... ...still an , extendedmomma :
#3 of 3 Old 01-30-2006, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much I can't believe she has just turned 6 months... its gone so quickly!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page