Anyone on thyroid meds? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-07-2005, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my second pregnancy. After the birth of my son in 2003, I was diagnosed with postpartum thryroiditis. I now take Synthroid to regulate my hypothyroidism. Anyone else dealing with this? I got pregnant easily enough, but I have to watch my thyroid and get it checked frequently through the pregnancy.
#2 of 6 Old 01-11-2005, 12:25 PM

Yup, and I was on thyroid meds all the way through my last pregnancy. No big deal for me (though my levels have fluctuated a bit over the past three years). I have a lot of hormonal problems though (which is why I needed to use Bravelle to achieve pregnancy).

Kim
#3 of 6 Old 01-12-2005, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't heard of Bravelle. How often did you get your Thyroid levels checked during your last pregnancy? I have heard everything from once a trimester to once a month.
My friend who has hypothyroidism also had difficulty with milk production after labor. Did you experience that? This is all so new for me ( since Coltrane was born ), so I'm very interested in being prepared.
Thanks
#4 of 6 Old 01-12-2005, 04:03 PM

I'm a June 2005 pregnancy, but thought I would chime in here since I take synthroid for my hypothyroidism. So far, it's been easy to regulate my meds. I've had my blood tested every 4 weeks from the moment I found out I was pregnant. So far we've had to increase my dose twice. Most hypothyroid women require a 30-50% dose increase during pregnancy, and usually by week 20 your levels will stablize. I haven't noticed any problems so far with being on synthroid; in fact I've felt really good so far and have had an easy pregnancy.
#5 of 6 Old 01-12-2005, 04:36 PM

I had mine checked monthly last time too, and actually didn't need an increase throughout the pregnancy (but have since). I didn't (don't -- still nursing 3 yo dd) have trouble with milk supply (though it took longer then expected to "come in" the first time). As I said in an earlier post I have other hormonal problems (I had pituitary surgery in the mid-90's for a tumor) and did need pitocin to induce full-scale labor, since my body wouldn't produce enough (I was in early labor for days).

Bravelle is the brand-name for a follicle-stimulating hormone that you inject to manipulate ovulation. See http://www.drugs.com/PDR/Bravelle_for_Injection.html. My body needed a kick-start to get all the hormones headed in the right direction -- pregnancy was achieved the first month we did the protocol. Yeah!
#6 of 6 Old 07-05-2014, 03:21 PM

effect of hypothyroid on natural family planning

Did any of you with managed thyroid problems do natural family planning after having your baby?

How did your thyroid effect that?

Is natural family planning possible with a hypothyroid, even if it's been stable for years?

I really want to do natural family planning, but am nervous about my thyroid condition throwing it off and leading to an unplanned pregnancy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page