Itchy face - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-02-2005, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have this crazy itchy face, ears and neck, but not my body. It is really strange. The texture of my sking is different too, kind of rough and stretched. My face doesn't look swollen or bigger though. Has anyone had this or heard of this? It isn't bothering me too much, I just want to scratch all the time! There is no redness or rash either. I am about 12 weeks right now. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-03-2005, 12:49 AM

Hey, well it may not be bothering you too much, but it certainly isn't normal, so it warrants getting checked out by a health professional.

It is possible that it could be caused by poor nerve flow due to a vertebral subluxation. That can only be determined by a chiropractor. Your nervous system controls every function in your whole body, including your skin. The really great thing about chiropractic is that it is totally 100% safe for pregnancy. Zero risk. Worth a try. If the chiropractor says that it isn't a chiropractic problem, then you should see your MD or other PCP.

Let me know how it goes, OK?

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#3 of 5 Old 02-03-2005, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

I called the clinic I go to, as well as my MIL and FIL, who are doctors. I am also an acupuncturist and herbalist. Alas, no chiropractors in the family....
It is a bit better today, my skin is just irritated. Come to find out, it isn't common, but also not extremely rare to have a change in skin during pregnancy due to the hormonal shift.
In Chinese Medicine, irritation and itchiness would be heat and dampness, yet the lack of redness or rash signifies less heat. I am talking internal dampness, because it certainly is dry up here in NH in the Winter, which could also be some of the problem. Hmmmm.....
I guess I was wondering if anyone else has experienced skin changes- the " mask" of pregnancy I think they call it? My SIL had major changes, but more of the heat and toxicity type- rosacea.
Thanks for the advice about subluxation- would this most likely be in the cervical vertebrae ? Just wondering. I'll check it out.

- Kerri
#4 of 5 Old 02-03-2005, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

I totally stand corrected. The mask of pregnancy is a pigmentation issue that isn't dangerous, just can be annoying. I don't want to have misinformation out there.
Believe it or not, I think I just have extrememly dry skin right now, like nothing I have had before. I just put some Vitamin A and E oil all over my face and neck and it seems to be a bit better. As I more closely inspected my face, it is soooo dry- even under my eyebrows the skin is peeling. I can't believe it. I usually have great, easy skin to take care of. I am going to moisturize like the dickens and see what happens.
But... I think I will see a chiro also Kristin for a couple of reasons. What if this is more serious- it can't hurt to check. Also, I had back issues with my first pregnancy- a car accident at 20 weeks- OUCH. Also, a lot of pushing of a posterior baby. Needless to say, my midback and sacrum are a bit unhappy with my uterus changing once again!
#5 of 5 Old 02-03-2005, 12:41 PM

Mama,
I'm glad you did your research!
If the dry skin is related to subluxation, it is likely to be cervical. However, all the nerves are connected in some way, and it is not uncommon to have a sacral problem being causing headaches, for example, or an upper cervical issue causing constipation.

Yes, please get yourself looked at! An MVA, even at very low speeds, can cause a lot of trauma to the spine and spinal cord, and many MVA victims have subluxations of the pelvis which most certainly can cause problems for a baby living inside, and can even result in your baby being subluxated even before being born, not just during the birth process. If your other child hasn't been checked after a birth like that, it would be a good idea to correct any problems right away.

If you have a chiropractor you trust, great. If you need referrals, let me know! Have a great day, sweetie.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page