Who's having a homebirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2005, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wanting to start a thread for the HBing mommas...
I really don't have many places to connect with them becuase allt he forums or threads are slow. Maybe we can hook up here?
I am Andrea and I am having my 3rd baby and 2nd homebirth.
On Tuesday I have my big ultrasound but we aren't going to find out the sex. I am really excited to see this baby. S/he is super active. The other night my son and I watched a belly show s/he preformed for us. It was really awesome!
I am able to count kicks already and have been keeping close tabs on the activity of this wee one.

So who are you and how are you? :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2005, 05:04 PM

Hi,

I am having a homebirth. My first was born in CA, was a planned homebirth, but got transferred...I can tell that story later, but my midwife has told people that I " had a homebirth, we just had a little hospital help!"

My second was a homebirth in Georgia, which was wonderful. So this third will be, too, with the same midwife as the second. Oliver was not quite 3 when Carter was born, and was still asleep, so we didn't wake him. He did wake up about 20 minutes after Carter was born, and it was beautiful to have him come in and snuggle with us and give Carter kisses.

Oliver will be five, and has told me that he really wants to see this one born, so I am trying to get books and videos to prepare him.

Carter will only be two, so I am not sure what will happen with him. He is pretty protective of me! so I don't want him to be afraid to see me in pain...I will do my best to prepare him, too, and have someone for him, to take him out if he needs to not be there...Oliver too.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Maury
Old 03-26-2005, 07:14 PM

I'm planning a UC home waterbirth, but haven't told hubby yet. : Not sure how he will react, but too bad, it isn't his body. Not sure if I'm going to have my son there, it might scare him (he will be 3 around birth time). We'll see how things go...

Are you guys telling your families? I haven't told anyone yet and don't plan to tell anyone but hubby before baby is born. They can be informed afterward so I don't get too many discouraging comments (another reason I haven't discussed with DH because he is a blabber mouth when it comes to familly stuff).

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Old 03-26-2005, 08:46 PM

I'm having my second child and fist hb, hbac actually.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 03-26-2005, 11:54 PM

Second baby, second homebirth. The first was in St. Louis, MO, the second is here in Redmond, WA - this time with a tub and hypnobirthing CD. I am so so excited!
Old 03-27-2005, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Jamie, I have told my family, well of course this is my second HB, but they also know I am just "weird" that way and won't question me unless they want me to really tell them EVERYTHING.

I am thinking about attempting a water birth this time. I will have to see, I know I want to labor in my new bath tub.

Maury, I can't wait to hear your stories!
Old 03-27-2005, 12:38 AM

I'm having my second HB - second child, second husband Never, ever even considered a hospital birth with either one. My first labor was L-O-N-G, though and I'm hoping we go a bit quicker this time. I've learned a lot of "tricks" reading posts and birth stories and I know these will help. The best part will be sharing it with my lovely, "truly" supportive dh and my (by then) eight year old dd. She gets to check and see the gender of the baby after s/he's born and he gets to catch the baby and cut the cord.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 03-27-2005, 01:11 AM

We're having our third baby and planning our third homebirth. We've lived in the same house for all of them. The first two were UCs, not sure if this one will be or not. I would kind of like to attempt a waterbirth and dh wants a mw here if I choose the waterbirth route. So, plans are up in the air. I do see a lovely mw for prenatals, though, and she also comes to visit when the baby is about a day old to do a little check-up.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:26 AM

We are planning our second HB. I'm feeling a little ? about my hb mw this time around though (our previous MW who was awesome will be in Africa for the year). Trying to decide if I should stay or switch. :-( Not sure I'm up for a UC.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:14 PM

What is UC?

Second child, first HB. DD was a waterbirth at a Midwife clinic. Plan on having a water birth with baby boy also. We are in a different state than DD was born in and my MW is the only thing I miss from there (although I like my new one. )
Old 03-27-2005, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

UC=Unassisted childbirth
Old 03-27-2005, 08:54 PM

4th baby, 2nd homebirth - Justin was born at home in Florida, Jess(i)e will be at home in NH. Both waterbirths. I had such a great birth experience last time... trying not to get my hopes up for such a fun/quick labor this time

~ Amy ~

Homeschooling Mom of

ds 16, ds14, ds9, dd6

Old 03-27-2005, 11:54 PM

We are planning an assisted HBAC. Just found out on friday that it's another Boy!
Old 03-28-2005, 01:30 AM

First child will be born at home! Plan to do UC with midwife in the house as backup. My midwifery team is cool with that, thank goodness. Although I'm a doctor (and so is dh), and I've adjusted women in labor, I've never actually been there during the actual birth. So I want somebody very experienced close by whom I know will respect our wishes. Waterbirth is planned also.

To all of you doing HBAH (hosp) and especially HBAC, congratulations and that's awesome. I'm glad you have so much confidence in your bodies!

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
Old 03-28-2005, 03:21 AM

Hi,
This will be my 2nd child, first homebirth. Our ds was born in the hospital w/a nurse midwife. I am excited about having a homebirth. I never thought I would do a homebirth b/c I had doubts about the safety of it but after having a hospital birth experience and doing more reading on homebirth after ds was born, I eventually came around to feeling comfortable w/the idea. I almost went to a freestanding birth center which would have been like having a homebirth away from home and then decided to just stay home!
I have told my family. I told my mom over email and the only thing she wanted to know at that time was what we were planning to do w/ds during the birth. Since then, she has come out w/some of her worries and she wishes we were getting an u/s. My dad didn't say anything. It was funny when my brother found out. He said, "what? that's weird! why?" I said, "why go to the hospital when you can stay home?" He was also very unfamiliar w/the term "midwife". He said he had heard the term before but thought it was something similar to a concubine.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:07 PM

Well, we had been planning to give birth in a hospital-affiliated birth center, but I've been thinking about homebirth for weeks and weeks and finally said something to DH about it. He was totally supportive...said he hadn't been looking forward to driving to the birth center and back (30 min each way) anyway. He even told his mom about it last night on the phone - she thought it was "cool"!

Now just to find a midwife....I have several names, just haven't called anyone yet. I admire anyone doing UC....I just don't see it being the best way for me. I would be most comfortable at home but with someone there to "mediate", lol.

Nancy

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:33 PM

We're planning a homebirth. My first birth was a planned homebirth but we were transferred to the hospital after 32 hours of labour. it was great to labour at home though!

This time I am very hopeful it will be a homebirth and my midwives are fantastic!
Old 03-28-2005, 05:54 PM

First baby and planning a home waterbirth in my big jacuzzi tub! I always knew I wanted a homebirth - I watched my little sister born at home when I was 2 yrs old. Hubby thought I was crazy at first - but once he read more about it and met with our midwife, he was totally for it! I am excited and a little nervous all at once. Both our families have been very supportive of our decision, and I think hubby likes the shock value when he tells people we are having our baby at home with a midwife.
Good luck to all!

namaste.gif
Chelsea - proud mama of my Rosie 7/05 and Sammy 7/07   homebirth.jpgnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 03-28-2005, 06:38 PM

First HB -- HBAC. Had medwives at birthcenter last time. I should have known they had lost faith in me when they sent me for a c/s consult before I even went into labor (scared of huuuuuuge baby who ended up being perfectly normal sized -- less then 8.5#). :-( I have a different midwife this time who is much different and is not afraid of big babies even if I were to have one. :-)
Old 03-28-2005, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm planning a homebirth. I was considering a UC, but I really do love my midwife, and I believe that she could only bring positivity into my labor experience.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
3rd baby, 3rd hb. We had a great waterbirth with #1, though #2 came too fast to fill the tub. I'm hoping for another waterbirth with this baby. I love the idea of a UC, too, but I truly love my mw and know that she brings an awesome respect for birth with her. I'm excited, but I only wish this baby was further along!!
Old 04-01-2005, 04:30 AM

I'm considering a HB.... 2nd baby. But this one is bigger than #1 at all the measuring points (boy instead of girl??) and labor was really long with #1 and amniotic fluid was green at end (bothers me more than long labor, since this is bad for baby if it goes on too long). Any suggestions? Anyone had the same situation and still had/attempting a hb?
Old 04-01-2005, 11:23 AM

This is our second baby and second homebirth. My DD decided to come before the midwives or my doula got there the last time so this time I am hoping to have the midwife at least in the house although there was something so special about it being just my husband and I there last time. Our DD who will be three by then will be there as well as my chiropractor - how nice will that be!
Old 04-01-2005, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_in_training
I'm considering a HB.... 2nd baby. But this one is bigger than #1 at all the measuring points (boy instead of girl??) and labor was really long with #1 and amniotic fluid was green at end (bothers me more than long labor, since this is bad for baby if it goes on too long). Any suggestions? Anyone had the same situation and still had/attempting a hb?

My second baby was bigger than my first by 1lb 2 ozs. I had my first in a hospital and had to get stitches and my second at home and had the slightest amount of grazing, so no stitches. I honestly would need to know more about your first birth, but I can second births usually go faster and babies are less likely to pass the mic in a HB.
I say go for it, I think you will be much happier, but I can understand your concerns.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:54 PM

I am planning an unassisted homebirth. (I'm also a vbac)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:23 PM

First baby, planning a homebirth with water labor. One of our best friends is my midwife and we love her and trust her so much, she also performed our wedding ceremony- how cool is that?? We're halfway there, yippee! Looking forward to our U/s on Monday!

Happy, busy mama of 2 - A (9/05) and W (2/08)
Acupuncturist to pregnant and post partum mamas!
Old 04-06-2005, 03:42 PM

This is fourth baby, will be 3rd water homebirth

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

Old 04-07-2005, 01:06 PM

munchkinsmum -
I misread your post and thought you said your 3-year-old DD would be there AS YOUR CHIROPRACTOR. Lol - I had visions of this little kid giving you adjustments....

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:37 AM

I've always wanted a HB ever since before I became pregnant. DH has been supportive all the way. We are going au natural when it comes to our Bambino! MW will assist us in a water birth. Looking forward to it!

P.S. GREAT book for moms to read: Birthing from Within by Pam England and Rob Horowitz
Old 04-12-2005, 02:18 AM

Planning first HB in August with first child. I grew up mostly in Oregon (even rural Oregon is pretty liberal) and read Babycatcher" last year, and really just didn't think much of it when I decided to have a HB. DH was totally for it despite growing up in a small town in Illinois- his mother's an RN as well, she was a little nervous, but we made the concession to have an US, which showed that the little baby shouldn't need any major medical intervention and that was a big relief for our family- and not too much of a concession for us.

The odd response was my parents, my father was a military man and now is the administrator for a large doctor's clinic. Very traditional- very somber- very into the idea of a HB! he was born at home in England, which I didn't know, and he thought the whole idea was great! My mom who espouses a lot of liberal thinkings was totally weirded out (they're no longer married) and continues to be nervous saying I should be doing more co-care with Kaiser (my work insurance). I hate the doc I have at Kaiser- she makes me more nervous than being pregnant alone in a cave with no one but DH to help with the birth!

User Tag List