This uterine stretching... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 04-04-2005, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is killing me. Anyone else? Is it just because I'm a first-time mom? I know the baby is growing so fast that I expect it.

I just have to explain to all of my patients when they see such a grimace on my face all of a sudden!

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#2 of 19 Old 04-04-2005, 06:48 PM

oh, yes. quite unbearable at times. first time mom too.

I thought a few times that something was wrong with the baby because it felt like the hardest cramps and pains I ever had. :
#3 of 19 Old 04-04-2005, 07:09 PM

Okay, here's a question: how can you tell the difference between uterine stretching, Braxton Hicks, and round ligament pain? I've been getting lots of what I think are BH, occasional twinge of what I think is round ligament pain (at bikini line), and then occasional zap of what feels like a pulled muscle (except it doesn't last) right at the front of my uterus. Does that sound about right?
#4 of 19 Old 04-05-2005, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I can't say what BH actually feel like. I'm imagining that to be quite different and more intense than what I'm feeling.

But round ligament pain is probably what you are experiencing at the bikini line. Basically, if you draw a 45 degree diagonal line from your front hip bone (the anterior superior iliac spine) on either side down to the center of your pubic bone (the pubic symphysis), round ligament pain is usually felt about midway along that line. I get this sometimes too.

Massage that sucker! Apply direct pressure to the sore point, midway along that imaginary line, and make a small circular movement, clockwise if its on your right side, and counter-clockwise if its on the left. If you have ever heard about the Webster chiropractic uterine constraint technique that can be very helpful in turning breech babies, half of the procedure involves similar direct myofascial work on the round ligament after a sacroiliac adjustment.

What I am feeling and interpreting as uterine stretching feels more like the pulled abdominal muscle, like you described. It just does feel like I pulled an ab muscle! And it is remitting.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Well, I'm sorry for you all, but its nice to have company! For the stretching pain, there isn't any problem with massaging it yourself. If it is right over the baby, keep the pressure light. Otherwise, you can go deep to tolerance. Mine tends to be upper uterus, so I can get in there good. Just do what feels right to you. If massaging a sore area doesn't feel right, don't do it. Go see an experienced massage therapist or a chiropractor. (Or your MD if you use one, although I don't know what they'd do for it.)

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
#5 of 19 Old 04-05-2005, 10:08 AM

I thought I had pulled a muscle doing pilates and then read somewhere about the uterine stretching. I'm so happy to hear that's all it is, so I can keep up with the pilates. The pain is good practice, I think, for breathing and practicing my relaxation techniques.
#6 of 19 Old 04-05-2005, 10:45 AM

Well a braxon hick will feel like your entire uterus hardening up (except the very top) Sometimes they can be uncomfortable but they shouldn't be painful.

Also sometimes I get pain in the front, and I think it is because my ab muscles split when I was pregnant with my DD.
Uterine stretching... hmm it just feels all around uncomfortable usually down low for me.
Round ligament pain I have heard is the pain that starts in your lower back and radiates down your legs. I have lower back pain but it doesn't radiate through to my legs.
I am SOOO going to see a massage therapist here very soon.
I am thinking about getting one or two massages a month until just after the baby comes. It really depends on if I can afford to do it.
#7 of 19 Old 04-05-2005, 10:50 AM

Yes braxton hicks sometimes feel like tight across your stomach. On me I can see it because one side of my uterus sticks up when it happens, maybe where the baby is laying. This is my second, so I am getting alot of them.

Now round ligament can HURT SUPER bad. I thought it was my appendix or something crazy! I could barely walk. It hurt on my right side, like from my bikini line up towards my belly button, and also around to my lower back! Lucky for me I started looking on the internet and found some stuff saying EXACTLY what I was feeling, so i chilled out and it went away. Reduced to a dull ache, I took some Tylenol and it went away totally later that day.

Homeschooling mama to 3 Italian babies. homeschool.gif  Due with #4 on Sept. 28! Planning a rockin' Homebirth. homebirth.jpg

#8 of 19 Old 04-05-2005, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Pain that starts in your lower back and radiates down your legs, especially if it radiates down the back of your legs, sounds like sciatic pain.

#9 of 19 Old 04-05-2005, 01:33 PM

I got a massage last week. My lower back was killing me. She made me SO much better; it's worth the money, methinks.

The massage therapist also told me that pelvic tilts help with the lower back and she showed me a glute (sp?) stretch I can do to alleviate the tension, too.

Anytime my back starts to ache again, I do these exercise and feel a whole lot better.
#10 of 19 Old 04-05-2005, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro_kristin
Pain that starts in your lower back and radiates down your legs, especially if it radiates down the back of your legs, sounds like sciatic pain.
Oh yeah... THAT is what it is... I have had neither so I can't really speak about it. Sorry to say the wrong thing
#11 of 19 Old 04-05-2005, 03:25 PM

Round ligament pain is excrutiating but not at all dangerous, fortunately. I equate it with the worst runner's cramp you could ever get. For me, they were/are worst in the middle of the night, when I am sound asleep and roll over too fast. They were so bad in my last pregnancy that I think I pretty much conditioned myself to ALWAYS get on my hands and knees before rolling over. Rolling onto my back at all was a guarantee I'd get a terrible stretching pain. So, if I'm sleeping on my left side and want to switch to the right, I will roll frontwards (the direction I am facing) until I am on my hands and knees, and then gently lower the right side of my body to the bed, resting my left knee on a pillow on that side before letting the rest of my body relax. I look weird, but it keeps me from getting that terrible OUCH and yelling out, which would scare the crud out of my poor DH. I am now so adept at this that I pretty much do it in my sleep.

FWIW, Braxton Hicks contractions for me have been (and were last time) a bit like someone had suddenly inflated a balloon in my belly. They constrict my breathing a little bit. I remember them being higher up last time, but maybe they just started later in my pregnancy last time so my uterus was higher. This time they are pretty low -- around the top of my pubic mound, I suppose, and going up as high as my belly button. They make it a little hard to walk straight, but they don't hurt at all. I remember asking someone last time if "real" contractions were like more intense BH ones, and she said, "I guess so...in the way that a bullet wound is like an intense mosquito bite." : She was right!
#12 of 19 Old 04-05-2005, 03:56 PM

Yup, it's that inflated balloon, taught tummy, I've-got-a-firm-basketball-under-my-skin feeling.

I know that Braxton Hicks are normal in general, so it hasnt' worried me. just for future reference, any times in particular you should be worried about them? is there such a thing as too many?
#13 of 19 Old 04-05-2005, 06:05 PM

I can't even tell if I am having BH contractions. I suppose I should know.

I have had some stabbing pains a few times on the right side when I moved quickly after sitting for a period of time. They kind of took my breath away, but went away fast. Other than that I haven't had any type of pain.

I hope everyone is doing ok with it all!
#14 of 19 Old 04-06-2005, 11:29 AM

I didn't know we could get BH contractions now. A few times, my belly has been hard as a rock and I wonder if I was having BH?
#15 of 19 Old 04-06-2005, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know about your rock-hard belly-ness. My belly gets much harder of course when dear baby comes up more superficially ("he"'s a swimmer like his mom). Sometimes when he does it fast I get crampy for a minute. But that I know is totally due to the baby moving up where I can better feel him with my hands. Probably not the same thing you're feeling.

#16 of 19 Old 04-07-2005, 07:11 PM

I complained to my midwife at my last appointment about feeling so hard so often. She said it was too early to be getting contractions that last for 10-15 minutes and she thought that I wasn't drinking enough water. Sure enough, I upped my water intake and the hardness has really decreased.

Moral of the story - Don't let yourselves get dehydrated!
#17 of 19 Old 04-07-2005, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddledebi
Round ligament pain is excrutiating but not at all dangerous, fortunately.
Just to add my "professional opinion" to this... the pain itself may not be dangerous, but there is always a reason why you feel pain... it's your body's way of saying, "Hey! Pay attention to me!" It may not be anything serious, but it can develop into more of a problem.

What concerns me about round ligament pain is that it can be a sign of uterine constraint, which is a big time culprit in when babies don't turn head down. This is why part of the technique chiropractors use to relieve uterine constraint (called the Webster "Breech" technique) utilizes direct work on the round ligament.

Just my 2 pennies.

#18 of 19 Old 04-08-2005, 11:14 PM

I've been having BH that I could feel since 12w. Having my 15w U/S I had one on the table and we could see it on the screen. It was funny....the baby was all of a sudden like..hheyyyyy...my room is getting smaller....knock that off....and pushing in all directions. You will get them more often though if you are dehydrated! They're just 'practice' stretching and working out. Your uterus getting its 'muscle' primed for the big work-out. If you have more than 4-6 in an hour, or they are getting closer together and more painful...THAT is something to worry about. Drink some water and go lie down...see if they go away.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#19 of 19 Old 04-22-2005, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimep
Now round ligament can HURT SUPER bad. I thought it was my appendix or something crazy! I could barely walk. It hurt on my right side, like from my bikini line up towards my belly button, and also around to my lower back!
Yes, this is what i am feeling now! For me it is on the left side!
Well in addition, my large bowel on the left side is so hard and painful, i can really palpate it!
Anyway, it is good not to be alone with this weird pain...

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page