Pelvic Pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2005, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody else having intense pain in the pelvic floor? I can't remember the name of the condition, but Webster's technique for chiropractic care seems to help alleviate the pain. When I saw the list of symptoms, I said "me me me!" that is exactly what I am feeling. I have not, until the last few moments, even thought of calling the midwife as I think this is a normal pregnancy thing. But I don't know. The pain is the worst when I start to move after sitting for a while. When I roll over in bed at night. When I put pants on. After stretching or walking around a bit it settles down. Though, when it flares up it is very intense.
I believe the baby turned head down in the last 10 days or so and that is when the pain started. Anybody know if this is anything to be concerned about or is it just something that hurts me? I have an appointment at 9:30 AM tomorrow with a chiropractor who specializes in Webster technique.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2005, 11:16 PM

I had the same pain you are describing bad yesterday, it is not as bad today. It hurt so much when I got up from sitting it was hard to walk, but after walking around for a bit it helped ease the pain.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:19 PM

are you talking about the SI joint? (sacroilliac)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 05-15-2005, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

The condition is called symphysis pubis dysfunction. I'm not sure which joint it is. I was able to have my feet up for the past few days ( a rare event ) and it was feeling better. Now, after 5 hours of sitting at work it is intensely painful again. I keep having thoughts that it is the baby's head but I'm not sure how to tell.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:57 PM

ouch! sounds painful! I hope you start feeling better soon! maybe walking around a bit would help?

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 05-16-2005, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I am headed home early and will see how this sorts out in the am.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:41 PM

Symphysis pubis is the joint between the two sides of your pubic bone in the front (midline). This is a quite common subluxation during pregnancy (I've experienced it myself) and can be helped A LOT with chiropractic.

If any of you are going to a chiropractor who doesn't know how to check for this type of subluxation or do this adjustment, have them call my office. It will be easy for me to explain it so that they can do it correctly and effectively right away. My office number is (317) 774-2998 and he/she would just need to ask for Dr. Kristin.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
Old 05-16-2005, 01:56 PM

I have had this pain with both pg... it goes away (for me) after a few weeks. It helps for me to sleep with a big pillow between my legs (way up there)!
Old 05-16-2005, 08:08 PM

I have it. I just have to sort of wait it out, for it to pass. It isn't ALL the time, so I'm not agonizing, but man, when it's here, it's BAD.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

I had the adjustment today and it helped alot! I recommend chiropractic care with someone trained in pregnancy conditions to anyone with this pain. I had seen another chiropractor a few times in this pregnancy, but this was something different and I will be switching to his care. If anyone is in CT, this chiropractor is in Wethersfield and is trained in Webster technique.

Still hurts tonight, but that feeling of I might be in the middle of an emergency is over. Will meet with him 2 more times this week.
Keep the suggestions coming if anyone has tried anything that helps.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:05 PM

I am so glad you found relief. Did your doc do just Webster or did the doc also check the pubic bones? Just curious - you dont have to share if you dont want. I wouldn't expect *complete* relief from one adjustment so I'm glad you are going again!

YAY for your body and it's ability to heal when there is no interference due to subluxation!

Once again, if anybody needs help finding a doc who can help, PM me and I will try to help.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
Old 05-16-2005, 11:23 PM

Oh I forgot to mention that prenatal yoga does *wonders* for me when I feel like this. I think the pain is normal "stretching", and doing yoga helps the process by letting the muscles work with the situation rather than trying to stay in the pre-preggo state. I do a prenatal yoga video a couple of days a week.

Actually, just stretching helps, too! I sit on the floor with my legs straight out and as w-i-d-e as I can, reach toward my toes at either side and then between my legs as low as I can get. I feel better for the rest of the day when I do this!

Hope that helps!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:06 AM

I second the stretching! Also, water..... I take baths constantly. i think water is very healing and allows the body to relax in a way it cannot do on land. I will often feel my bones and body gently shift while I am in the tub. Can you tell I am a Cancer baby and love the water?? We might buy a pool today for the backyard so I can float all summer!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Kristin - silly question I'm sure, but how do I know if he checked the pubic bones or just did Webster. I'm not versed enough in these things to know what was what. He did have me stand against the wall, walk and check my gait, on my belly bent my legs and then adjusted my left side and bent my legs again and I had noticeable relief. He did a few other things as well.
Also, what do you recommend for a job that entails a lot of sitting. I have the ability to walk around. It is a home setting and much of the night is spent sitting and chatting with clients or tending to office things....would a pillow or back support be helpful for this.
I agree with the prenatal stretching, have been having a regular routine every few days but this sprung up out of nowhere.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:33 PM

Not a silly question. Sounds like he just did Webster. Give this a chance to work with a few more visits. The way I check the pubic symphysis is to actually touch the tops of the pubic bone in the front with my thumbs or tips of my fingers. Then I contact the subluxated side with a specific part of the heel of my hand in order to do the adjustment. If a woman isn't comfortable with this, then I have her put her hand there and I put my hand on top of hers. This is the only way that *I* know how to do it. I have no idea if there are other ways. There are plenty of good chiropractors, especially males , who don't know how to do this but are very capable of doing it if it is specifically explained to them, which I would be happy to do.

Another exercise you can do daily is to lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet together on the floor or whatever you're lying on. Keep your knees together and have somebody slightly resist you at the knees as you try to spread your knees apart. Then keep your knees apart (still feet together) and have someone resist you as you bring your knees together. (does this make sense?)

Then keep your heels together but point your toes out and do the same two things. Then do it with toes together and heels out.

I do this everyday myself. It helps reset the system and work on muscle strength that may be in a state of imbalance (some of these muscles attach directly to the pubic bones).

Old 05-18-2005, 01:43 AM

Thanks Kristin! I'm not feeling this pain....but I'm going to talk to my chiro tomorrow and ask him or his wife (she's a chiro too...LOL....they share an office) if either one is familiar. May have them call if they aren't, so should I need it....they know what to do! They are Palmer graduates and seem to be pretty 'up' on all the different things as they are wellness chiros, but would be good to know!

As an aside, amazingly....my pelvis has been SO stable for this pregnancy! I only end up getting it adjusted about every 10 days. I go in 3x a week for regular checks and usually have mid-back and cervical adjustments, but my pelvis is being remarkably well behaved for pregnancy! They are just amazed. Do you think it has anything to do with my having regular chiro care before pregnancy? We all go at least once a week for wellness care, and one ds to keep this asthma at bay.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Old 05-18-2005, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyClark
Do you think it has anything to do with my having regular chiro care before pregnancy?
Absolutely!!! Without a doubt.

I have a total wellness practice too, and I'm also a Palmer grad, just FYI. I wish all my pregnant patients had come to me long before getting pregnant so their spines could be corrected. The pubic adjustment isn't taught in Palmer's regular curriculum, but if they are experienced prenatal docs they probably know about it. Not everybody thinks to check it though, so I thought I would throw it out there just in case anyone else's chiropractor doesn't know it. I just have found it to be so incredibly helpful with my pregnant patients especially, but also my nonpregnant female patients (my MW - who is now my pt - got good results from this and thinks hers may have been messed up from her own last birth), and even some men! I learned it through several of my mentors and also now through the pediatrics/pregnancy advanced degree program I am in.

To all interested parties, if your doc would want to call, tell them to state what the call is regarding, and I'll instruct my staff to come get me. My office hours are on my website, www.unitedchiropractic.org

Kristin

Old 05-18-2005, 07:13 AM

I was having lots of pubic symphysis pain with my last pregnancy (this one is OK so far). I was taking yoga during my last pregnancy, and the thing that helped me the most was something called "gomukhasahna" Not sure the spelling is right, but I bet most yoga teachers can tell you the pose...

I can't seem to find the words to describe it well...maybe someone else can. I think you start on the floor, sitting kind of "side saddled" (not cross legged, but both legs bent to one side) after staying in that position to stretch, you somehow get up on one knee and kind of gently swivel around, and return to a seated position, so that your legs are now bent to the other side, and stretch that side. Talk about relief!

It doesn't take long, so maybe you could try it at work every hour or so...maybe there is a conference room or something that you can use...good luck!

Maury
Old 05-18-2005, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Had another adjustment today, no pubic adjustment but feel so much better. My ligament pain feels like it has disappeared and the baby is flipping all around and having huge areas of movement. Most movement before was concentrated on lower mid/left belly.
I feel fantastic tonight. Thanks for all the info wonderful momma's. I was afraid that this was about to keep me off my feet and I'm determined to avoid that if possible.
Sad news I read on one site about this, mothers need wheelchairs and bedrest is recommended! From the pain I was having, I can momentarily see how that could be attractive but the fact that that was offered up as the "remedy" just helps push me farther along to what else do I need to question in my care. My provider had chalked it up to "pregnancy pains"! I have a new provider as of Friday.
Actually, on the right of my screen I see the ad for International Chiropractic Pediatric Association - that is where I found my current chiropractor.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:33 PM

That's one of the databases I use when people ask me for referrals.

I'm so glad for you!!!

Old 05-19-2005, 11:59 AM

This is a great thread! I'm printing out a copy to give to my chiropractor *and* prenatal yoga instructor (sorry, I couldn't visualize the pose from the description). I haven't had too many aches and pains yet, but I think it's starting - getting just a leetle harder to get in and out of bed, get up from a cross-legged position, etc. (big belly gets in the way!).

I definitely think my regular chiro visits pre-pregnancy have helped, but I need to talk to him about the specific adjustments talked about here - maybe it's because i haven't had too much pain/issues, but I'm still getting the same kind of adjustments I had before I was pregnant, and I'm thinking things like symphysis pubis should be checked now.

Oooohhh, so happy to find like-minded people here! IRL, I couldn't convince any of my pregnant girfriends to do prenatal yoga with me, and even my dear, sweet sister (who's an occupational therapist) isn't comfortable with the idea that I get regular chiro adjustments.

User Tag List