Being a worry-wart - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2005, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am super freaked out right now. I know about five other expectant friends, all due in Aug.

My friend Andrea delivered her baby at 25 weeks. It's been really rough for her and baby Jaxon, but he's now two weeks old and getting better and better.

But today, I found out my good friend Wendy just had her water break. She is at 26 weeks. She is now at the hospital, where they are trying to keep the baby in for as long as possible before she delivers.

This is really scaring me. It hits so close to home, you know? And then I worry about all the things I'm doing that maybe I shouldn't be doing (even though I know it's silly). Like, I do lots of cardio exercise, reach for things on the top shelf, carry my grocery bags in from the car to the house (all things that various people have warned me against). I was even thinking of getting my push mower and cutting the grass (dh says absolutely not). I worry about my baby's health. I worry whether I'll be a good mother or have a melt-down.

Is anyone else turning into a worry-wart?

P.S. Angelica, I hope you're doing well...whenever I see your posts here or on Diapering, I'm happy b/c I figure you must be doing okay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2005, 10:29 PM

It's so hard to know for sure.....having been through pregnancies twice and been very active each time...I think PTL or PROM is something that is 'just going to happen' and within reason nothing you do (or don't do) is going to stop it. It's hard to let go and not worry, but I'd say that as long as you are listening to your body and doing what your body is telling you--slowing down if you're tired, not getting too overheated, drinking lots of water, etc.--you and baby will be fine!

ETA: You're doing great!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Old 05-18-2005, 11:35 PM

I actually cut the grass... it is a chore I always liked doing, and since I've been pregnant it is actually a workout now. I'm carrying so low that it seems hard for me to do much cardio outside of walking, as the baby gets in the way. I use my push mower and just make sure to take at least one good 10-minute break and drink lots of water!

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
Old 05-18-2005, 11:44 PM

First let me say that you are perfectly within your rights to be worried. I would probably be worried about preterm labor too if I had 2 friends due around the same time as me deliver that early. And I have done this twice before.

I agree with PP that within reason, there is nothing you can do or not do to keep yourself from going into labor early. Just listen to your body. If something doesn't feel quite right call your ob or mw. They will either tell you to come in and be seen or they will tell you that whatever is a normal thing. Just use your best judgement and go from there. HTH

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy-mummy

P.S. Angelica, I hope you're doing well...whenever I see your posts here or on Diapering, I'm happy b/c I figure you must be doing okay
I'm doing well, just layin' in bed these days!

Holly's right--listen to your body. If your body says slow down, take it easy, then obey. If you feel fine, then you probably are.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflymom
I'm doing well, just layin' in bed these days!

Holly's right--listen to your body. If your body says slow down, take it easy, then obey. If you feel fine, then you probably are.

Yay, Angelica! I'm feeling much better now (thanks everyone!)...I am going to visit my friend Wendy in the hospital this afternoon - she is on bedrest and hanging onto baby with grit and determination.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:29 PM

s

Everyone has given you great advice already. I know how you feel, though. I've been wondering if I should quit my job because of all the difficult physical activity...still debating.

The other day I was talking on the phone with my grandma and telling her how I needed to pick up some gas for the lawn mower. She said "You are going to mow the lawn in your condition?" I laughed and said "what condition?" I'm not sick, I'm just pregnant. Honestly, mowing isn't that much more difficult than pushing a stroller. Gotta love worrying Grandmas!

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Old 05-20-2005, 10:26 PM

You think YOU are a worry wort? I'm concerned why your friend had her water break and then they kept the baby in as long as possible...umm infection? LOL

I worry too. I've been on bedrest a week now because I'm carrying low and head's in the pelvis causing much discomfort. Every single pregnancy is different. I won't worry because of your friends but like was said earlier..listen to your body!

I was a huge worry wort in earlier pregnancies but that goes away with experience and reading. Kitty
Old 05-21-2005, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeriane
You think YOU are a worry wort? I'm concerned why your friend had her water break and then they kept the baby in as long as possible...umm infection? LOL
I know! At first, I couldn't believe it - I thought, well if your water breaks, don't you have to deliver pretty soon after? But I saw Wendy at the hospital yesterday, and this is what I found out (and am sharing b/c I find all this stuff fascinating!):

Even though her water broke, her cervix isn't dialated and she isn't having contractions. And amniotic fluid is a replenishing source - your body and baby keep making more of it. If your membranes rupture, your baby will have less fluid to swim around in, but will still be okay. If Wendy starts having contractions and/or gets an infection (she's on antibiotics), then they will have to deliver. They are hoping she will make it to 28 weeks (1.5 weeks to go) and then try for 32 weeks (a magic number, I'm not sure why). That's a long time for bedrest, but she's determined. Plus, her ruptured membrane right now just means that she "squirts" (her words, not mine!) every so often. But she can sit up in bed, walk to the bathroom by herself, etc. - just nothing too physical.

It's amazing what they do now for higher-risk pregnancies. I don't know if I agree with all of it, but my friend has a two-year-old right now (born at 27 weeks) that is so beautiful and adorable, you know that it *can* be worth it.

:LOL I totally agree - I find it funny that "pregnancy = sickness" for so many people. I've had so many people trip over themselves to open doors, viciously grab packages from me and express utter horror at the very notion of a pregnant lady lifting a finger to do anything for herself!
Old 05-23-2005, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy-mummy
I find it funny that "pregnancy = sickness" for so many people.
I find it more disturbing than amusing. It's like, OK I'll let you know when I need help. For instance, I went to Chicago this weekend for a craniosacral workshop, and I totally blew a tire on my way. So I'm 150 miles from home, by myself, on the freeway. The tire is gone. Here's where I need help. I know how to change a tire, but I am NOT gonna do it pregnant on the freeway. Some really nice guy named Junior helped me out and wouldn't even take the 10 bucks I offered him (he deserved more but it was all the cash I had on me). He was even hesitant to shake my hand afterwards because it was dirty from CHANGING MY TIRE. So I hugged him.

So that's when I need help. Oh, and the other day I didn't dig the cooler out of the garage which was under all the tools and made DH do it. Oh, and I don't take out the trash to the curb because I'm pregnant and it's a good excuse for DH to do it. :LOL

Unfortunately, "disease" is how I think too many in the medical world treat pregnancy. But that's another soapbox... :ignore

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
Old 05-23-2005, 02:34 AM

*hmmm wonder if my brother was in indiana* (he goes by Junior--yes we're hicks).

I begged my CNM's to tell hubby that since I'm on bedrest I can't do dishes. grrr how much do you have bribe those ladies with anyway????

shoot I should be in bed.... Kitty

User Tag List