Weekly Thread May 22-28 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 05-26-2005, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
POSSIBLE TMI AHEAD

ANything stronger than witch hazel pads I can use to get rid of some erupted hemmeroids? Let's just say kettle corn is not my friend after it's been around a couple days.....
#32 of 39 Old 05-27-2005, 10:42 AM

N - I don't do prenatal testing of any kind except initial blood work and monthly UAs.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#33 of 39 Old 05-27-2005, 11:16 AM

No prenatal testing here either.

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#34 of 39 Old 05-27-2005, 11:47 AM

No prental testing here either, Marsupialmama. Oh I take that back. My MWs do a urine stick with who knows what tests at each prenatal, but I don't ask for it and the only thing I would change from that information is increase my water intake.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#35 of 39 Old 05-27-2005, 12:12 PM

No prenatal testing here either, and no adverse reactions from it(not that I'm expecting there to be any, but everybody else is).

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#36 of 39 Old 05-27-2005, 12:37 PM

For those interested, there's a book called "Expecting Trouble: The Myth of Prenatal Care in America" by Strong--a fascinating read. (It's more of an epidemiological study, rather than a guide for individual women.) Here's one review:

"Drawing from the literature of medical and epidemiological research, Strong"a second-generation obstetrician"presents compelling evidence that prenatal care in the United States does little to improve birth outcomes. The current trend toward universal prenatal care is fueled not by evidence that it is effective, he argues, but by unexamined assumptions as well as political expediency and economic greed. While stressing that access to prenatal care should not be impeded, Strong recommends that the technology and costs for uncomplicated pregnancies be scaled down, noting that prenatal care for these pregnancies could be shifted from obstetricians to midwives whose care is as effective but less costly. Obstetricians, in turn, could then focus on what they do well"assisting pregnancies with medical complications that respond to treatment"and the routine use of costly, high-tech procedures that do not improve outcome could be halted. In support of his vision, Strong explores a range of medical and public-policy issues currently under debate. Provocative and stimulating, this book performs a valuable service by bringing evidence on this vital issue out of the research literature and into public discourse and providing the tools for a long-needed paradigm shift. Recommended for public and academic libraries."
Noemie Maxwell, Seattle Midwifery Sch.
#37 of 39 Old 05-28-2005, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I didn't let them do the triple screen, but they do the urine thing each month and I let them do the diabetes test as I wasn't concerned about having it anyway and didn't feel like aruging about it. I guess I would want to know if I did have gestational diabetes, not because I would worry about a gigantic baby, but just so I would watch what I eat more carefully (need to do that anyway).

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#38 of 39 Old 05-29-2005, 04:56 PM

Marsupialmama--
I also declined the GTT which pissed the doctor off. Now she wants to monitor fetal growth by ultrasound for the rest of the pregnancy.

I have no symptoms, have just now gotten back to my prepregnancy weight, and she actually told me to try to gain more weight, my fundal heights are fine, the 22 week ultrasound showed him growing at the 50th percentile ===and yet she wants me to do a bunch of ultrasounds for large-for-gestational-age???

Does that make sense to anyone else? I think we are going to decline, or do ONE only to humor her, but I know this all stems from declining the GTT. I am kind of concerned about the repercussions of declining now. The thing that pisses me off is that she keeps saying that I am autonomous in my care. Lip-service.

All of this just makes me more mad that my insurance won't cover midwifery so I could work with a rational professional on this, and more mad that my DH isn't supportive of borrowing money to have home birth. And it's getting late in the game, too. Do midwives accept transfers late in pregnancy? I have warned the doula and DH that I could get to the end and refuse to go to the hospital!!! I think one more bad OB appointment could tip DH over the edge though, so maybe it could work out in the end if we can find a midwife late in the game.

Anyway, everything else is fine. Baby had some hiccups which is interesting. We're getting a lot done around the house (when I'm not resting on the couch and trying to think of something to eat!)

I hope everyone had a nice long weekend and is feeling well!!!!

--Adrienne
#39 of 39 Old 05-29-2005, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
I also declined the GTT which pissed the doctor off. Now she wants to monitor fetal growth by ultrasound for the rest of the pregnancy.

I have no symptoms, have just now gotten back to my prepregnancy weight, and she actually told me to try to gain more weight, my fundal heights are fine, the 22 week ultrasound showed him growing at the 50th percentile ===and yet she wants me to do a bunch of ultrasounds for large-for-gestational-age???

Does that make sense to anyone else? I think we are going to decline, or do ONE only to humor her, but I know this all stems from declining the GTT. I am kind of concerned about the repercussions of declining now. The thing that pisses me off is that she keeps saying that I am autonomous in my care. Lip-service.
How annoying! I think doctors do stuff like that as some sort of a power trip to try to "prove" that they are superior or something. Like if you don't do exactly what they say, everything will go wrong.

That's why I decided to just do the stupid test. I figured having a UC without telling the OB would be enough of a shock wave for them, didn't need any other harrassments to worry about.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page