Insomnia? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2005, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else experiencing this? The last few weeks I'm having a lot of trouble sleeping.
Part of it I know is that dd is sleeping in her own room which makes me uneasy but even when she's not I just can't seem to get to sleep. Some nights I wake often and others I don't. Once early morning comes I can sleep just fine.

Right now naps are totally saving me!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2005, 07:23 AM

Well, it is 5 am and here and I am at the computer- so Yes, a little insomnia here too. My biggest issue is dryness. I use a vaporizer, drink tons of water and still I am all dry at night. I am having way more congestion with this pregnancy than with DS too. It isn't too bad though. I still seem to get plenty of sleep and take naps with Ds almost every day.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:33 AM

I did for a little while, now all I seen to do is sleep. The other night I went to bed at 9:30 and slept until 8:00!!! Of course, there were a few bathroom breaks in there! lol!
Old 05-27-2005, 01:37 PM

ITA with OP! Some nights (like last) I don't wake at all. Other nights, I get up to go to the bathroom at 3:30pm and have trouble sleeping until 5:30am (Of course DD wakes at 6am- go figure). 2 nights ago I had my first bout of leg cramps w/this pregnancy. 4:15 am, double thigh crapms woke me out of a dead sleep. The right side didn't go away for 5 minutes and then I was afraid to go back to sleep anyway! DD just started sleeping through the night about 2 months ago- and now being awake from the pregnancy is like a cruel joke! I guess my body is just trying to get me used to waking multiple times a night again!

Sometimes I just cannot believe I am starting all over again. Well- at least this time I can tell myself that in about 2 years-I'll be back here again! (And maybe NOT be pregnant then...I'd have to say that the jury is still out on the third child!)

Traci
Old 05-28-2005, 01:52 PM

Insomnia is not even the name for me.... Perpetually being awake is more like it. Typically I will start to have anxiety about 5 pm and then my whole family will go to bed and come around midnight I'll have a glass of wine or a beer (OB approved... Then I'll sleep until 2 or 3 am. Then I'm up for the day... until I take two benadryl around 6 am and sleep until 8 or so. I'm so anxious about this. I have been on the phone with my OB all week. She prescribed Ambien. It worked wonders for one night. I was SOO rested the next night. And then... back to the old routine. So, then she prescribed Trazadone. Tried that last night. Took it at 9 pm or so. Was up until 4:30. Took an Ambien... slept until 7:30. I've cut out ALL TV (too stimulating), stopped reading before bed. Cut out all caffeine after 11 am. I am on the edge, wondering how the heck I'm going to get through actually having a newborn with no sleep... though I'm counting on the fact that when I nurse I am much more relaxed. This morning I finally woke up and thought . . . well.... today and hereafter, I will nap in the daytime and at least when 5 pm comes around I'm not going to start to get anxious.

Tuesday I have my first every my every other week u/s, which brings great stress as I watch the fluid level drop.... so,now I'm unloading on y'all.... ugh.

So, if anyone has any idea how to deal with this... I'm going on 5 weeks of this . . . Tonight I thought I'd try a little candle light, a bath... Anyone have any idea. . I hope no one judges me for all this unloading & honesty. I've been wanting to talk about it for about a week but knew that many of you not only don't vaccinate (which we dont') but would be horrified to know that there are prescriptions that I will take... and I'm okay with it....

Old 05-29-2005, 12:54 PM

Kathie, have you thought about hypnosis? When I do my hypnobirthing CD, it always puts me to sleep whether I'm sleepy or not.

Just a suggestion because it sounds like what could be normal pregnancy insomnia is compounded by anxiety attacks. Wouldn't hurt, right?

User Tag List