Are Your Getting Braxton Hicks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-22-2005, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I felt a few whoppers yesterday. I had to go sit down and breathe and do hypnosis to get past it. What surprised me was the way the BH made my ab feel like it was pushing *out* to the pt of bursing. Not what I expected! Anyway, my body is really getting ready to go. It's exciting.
#2 of 13 Old 06-22-2005, 05:05 PM

I'm getting some, there not that intense though. I'm approximately 35 weeks, but I didn't get a lot my first pg, so I wasn't expecting a lot my second.
#3 of 13 Old 06-22-2005, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I am, plently. But they're not too intense yet. I get at least 5-10 a day, but only one or two are so serious that I have to stop what I'm doing, and breath through them. I just hope all these "practice" contractions make the real thing go faster.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#4 of 13 Old 06-22-2005, 05:35 PM

Does a bear spit in the woods?

Especially if I overexert myself all day, I spend the evening having one after the other. They are really uncomfortable -- it feels like a beach ball inflating to bursting in my abdomen. They'll be erratic for hours, then just stop.

For those of you who are first time moms and wondering if this is good prep for the real thing, I'd have to say that my experience is NO. They're only like real contractions in the way that a really irritating hangnail is like a gunshot wound. Sorry!
#5 of 13 Old 06-22-2005, 06:31 PM

I've been having them since about January. From about April-May I was getting them about once every hour (more if I was doing something strenuous). The last few weeks they have tappered off a bit to about 10 per day. I'd say they are great for practicing your relaxation/breathing techniques even if they aren't the same as real contractions, though. It is good to teach your body to totally relax and go limp in response to the contraction, why not start early, right?

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#6 of 13 Old 06-22-2005, 06:58 PM

I've been having some whoppers today!

I'm laughing at your analogy fiddledebi.....but for me....'real' labor was A LOT like BH's! And not much more painful. REALLY! It just really varies from person to person. My first baby was born on 6 mins after getting to the OB floor, because I swore I wasn't in 'real labor' because it didn't hurt any more than BH's!!! And he was 8.5 lbs!!! His head 'fell out' and then pushed for his shoulders and that was it. It was quite the shocker!

Sooo....sometimes.....BH really are just like the real thing

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#7 of 13 Old 06-22-2005, 09:37 PM

I've been getting them for a few months. They're not painful, though they are getting a bit more uncomfortable as time goes on. It does feel like my abs are "pushing out" -- it's a weird feeling.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#8 of 13 Old 06-22-2005, 11:37 PM

Well I'm glad I read everyone else's descriptions of what they feel like....I don't think I would know a Braxton Hicks contraction if it knocked me over. It's kind of embarrassing...every mw appt they ask if I'm having any BH contrax and I always look kind of deer-in-the-headlights and say "Um....I don't think so?"

:

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#9 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 12:39 AM

Well I get them alll the time. I have an easily irritated uterus..my own definition. Get out of the car..have one..walk up to the store, get another, walk down one aisle..another. *shrugs* just the way it is.

I had a day of really intense one, they got stronger..longer...not good, we (midwife and myself) decided perhaps I needed to get back into bed where I should've been *tsk tsk on myself* . So I went to bed, watched them be 4 mins apart...getting worried (which only makes it worse) and kept drinking water and eventually I nodded off and they went away. *phew*

Have fun!! Kitty
#10 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 12:46 AM

yep I've been having a bunch. though my activity level doesn't seem to make me have more unless I am getting dehydrated.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#11 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 02:04 AM

Yep, from time to time- every few days and yes, and especially after doing lots of physical activity...
fiddledebi that analogy cracked me up!!!! :LOL
i had one today and my belly tightened up so much I could see my baby's butt sticking out!!!

Happy, busy mama of 2 - A (9/05) and W (2/08)
Acupuncturist to pregnant and post partum mamas!
#12 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926
Well I'm glad I read everyone else's descriptions of what they feel like....I don't think I would know a Braxton Hicks contraction if it knocked me over. It's kind of embarrassing...every mw appt they ask if I'm having any BH contrax and I always look kind of deer-in-the-headlights and say "Um....I don't think so?"

:
Glad I'm not the only one...this is my second pregnancy- you'd think I'd know.
#13 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926

Except! After the Indy 500, well actually 20 laps from the end, dh and I decided to start our trek to the car. We walked so incredibly fast (for me being pg, not fast for me normally), and I think I had some minor ctx then. But they weren't painful, more like just a good tightening. I figured it must be BH bc I didn't know what else it would be.

But yeah, I have the same answer at my prenatals...."uhhhhhhh..." *shrug*

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page