My Solution to the "What to Get You" Problem... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2005, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Several generous souls have asked what they could buy for the baby. My sister wanted to get the stroller. My mom wanted to get the crib. We're getting a free dresser (mine from babyhood). A neighbor bought us a car seat. We are fortunate folks!

My in-laws and grandmother want to know what to get us. See, all of this makes me uncomfortable...if I tell them something we need I feel like I am saying how much they should spend.

Well, I hit upon the idea of giving my grandmother a list of things we need with prices next to them. She picked something to get us and -- voila! -- the situation is resolved and SHE decides how much to spend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 09:54 PM

excellent! so much easier that way b/c no-one feels obligated.

trust me, enjoy all the generosity - we were the beneficiaries the first time around, and things change with #2! :LOL at least they did for us
Old 06-28-2005, 11:47 PM

Definitely enjoy it! With DD1 we got a jogging stroller, a carseat, and a really cool highchair/rocking horse/desk combo thing (handmade, wooden). This time no one has asked us if we need anything except our neighbors (who have twins and we're borrowing one of their baby-bucket carseats for the first 6-7 months or so). We really don't need anything that I can think of, so it's okay though.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Carrie,

You are right. I am enjoying the generosity and bet it won't be like this for #2. =)

By then, we'll have most of what we need. We don't need anything big besides a breastfeeding machine, and the small stuff we need are things like diapers and bottles, which no one seems to want to buy.

--hh

User Tag List