Anyone planning on using red raspberry tea? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 06-29-2005, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just curious, if anyone else is thinking about using red raspberry tea the last few wks of their pregnancy. I bought a box, but now I am trying to figure out how often/how much I should be taking. I'm currently about 32 wks, and I *think* I remember reading something that said you could start taking it about 5-6 wks prior to your edd, so it is coming up fast. The only thing I am worried about is I have been having a lot of BH contrax already, and I heard sometimes it lessens them, and sometimes it increases them. Anyway, just wondering who else is planning on using it. This will be my first experience with it, so I'm hoping it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 06-29-2005, 01:17 AM

yikes I bought some just because I thought it sounded yummy! umm what is it that it does??? TIA , Kitty
#3 of 22 Old 06-29-2005, 01:31 AM

A few tips with the RR tea:

Make sure the box you bought is actually red raspberry leaf - I bought some a couple of years ago to help with cramps, then read the label when I got home only to discover that it was "raspberry flavored" - not the real thing - Grrr.

If you like sweet tea (with milk and sugar) DON'T add milk to your RR tea - it will curdle.

I am currently drinking a pregnancy tea that includes RR leaf (first ingredient, actually). This tea is safe throughout pregnancy and actually helps with morning sickness during the 1st trimester. I don't know about a straight RR tea, though. RR leaf is good as a uterine tonic (helps with menstrual cramps too), and raspberries themselves are good to help you ripen and bring on contractions. I ate/drank a bunch during my last couple of weeks pregnant with Justin and had mild contractions for a few nights during the week before going into active labor with him. I give it partial credit (along with the EPO) for helping me along and contributing to a much shorter labor, and I'll definitely use the actual berries again during my last 2 weeks.

~ Amy ~

Homeschooling Mom of

ds 16, ds14, ds9, dd6

#4 of 22 Old 06-29-2005, 03:02 AM

I've been drinking some on and off the last few days. I actually went out and picked some leaves and dried them then mixed them with another tea I had for flavor.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#5 of 22 Old 06-29-2005, 09:42 AM

I'm actually drinking a cup right now I'm totally on a raspberry kick.
#6 of 22 Old 06-29-2005, 11:45 AM

I've been drinking it all through pg. I'd always heard the "dose" is 1 cup per trimester, approximately. For me, it increases my BH.

Alexia
#7 of 22 Old 06-29-2005, 01:30 PM

yep, i'll be doing rasberry leaf and epo once i hit 36 weeks
#8 of 22 Old 06-29-2005, 06:07 PM

I've been drinking pregnancy tea for several months now. Like a pp'er said, I believe 3 cups a day is recommended for the 3rd trimester. I made my own tea - equal parts red raspberry leaf and nettles (supports the liver?) - as recommended by my hb midwives. I saved a TON of money by buying the herbs in bulk instead of bothering with the pregnancy tea at the health food store. I spent a little over $3 to get 1 oz of RR and 1 oz of nettles, which has lasted me a *long* time.

All you need is one heaping teaspoon of the mixture per cup of tea. I've been making sun tea using a cotton cloth tea sack (which cost only 15 cents). It's lovely with a little lemon juice and super convenient.
#9 of 22 Old 06-29-2005, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I too will start on a EPO regimen, but I have already been drinking RRL tea. It is a uterine toner, and will increase or lessen the BH as needed, or that's what I've heard at least.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#10 of 22 Old 06-30-2005, 01:26 AM

I believe it's good to be drinking Red Raspberry Leaf tea all throughout your pregnancy but you should up your intake in the last trimester. It's supposed to help tone and strengthen the uterus.

Evening Primrose Oil (in capsules) can be taken orally and inserted vaginally after 36 weeks to soften the cervix. I guess has similar prostaglandin properties like in semen.
#11 of 22 Old 06-30-2005, 04:14 PM

I haven't talked to my midwives about it, yet, but knew from reading that it would be a good idea, I don't think that you can over-dose on it. Any other suggestions for ways to incorporate raspberries? I love the flavor, but a straight raspberry is a little much some moments. My friend suggested making raspberry ice cubes but didn't say how to do it, any ideas?
#12 of 22 Old 06-30-2005, 04:19 PM

i drank rr leaf tea the entire time. i was 5 cm dialated before i went into active labor.

i made ice cubes my making the tea...hot or cold extraction. poored it into ice cube trays for labor..

really helped with the nausa and tension to chew and suck on them.

i think it is an excellent tea and drink it plain
#13 of 22 Old 06-30-2005, 08:12 PM

I've been drinking RRL with Nettles or Alfalfa depending on the day. I put a couple of bags in a large canning jar and leave in the sun for a couple of hours. Pop it in the fridge and have a ready to take with me iced tea. Delicious!
#14 of 22 Old 06-30-2005, 11:26 PM

I made raspberry smoothies using frozen raspberries during the last few weeks with Justin - plan on doing the same this time.

~ Amy ~

Homeschooling Mom of

ds 16, ds14, ds9, dd6

#15 of 22 Old 06-30-2005, 11:42 PM

I've been drinking it. If memory serves, it's a diuretic so be sure to drink lots of water, too. =)

I didn't know about *eating* raspberries until I learned it from this board last week. Any excuse to eat raspberries make me pretty darned happy!!
#16 of 22 Old 07-01-2005, 01:37 AM

What's the deal with eating regular raspberries? I love raspberries but I didn't know there were benefits other than drinking red raspberry leaf tea. Can anyone explain it to me?
#17 of 22 Old 07-01-2005, 11:20 AM

I've been drinking it daily since I became pg. Two bags in my Nalgene bottle and I'm good to go for the day!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#18 of 22 Old 07-01-2005, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeshaLynn
What's the deal with eating regular raspberries? I love raspberries but I didn't know there were benefits other than drinking red raspberry leaf tea. Can anyone explain it to me?
has a chemical compound that triggers the body to tone uterine muscles.
#19 of 22 Old 07-01-2005, 04:12 PM

I've been drinking it since beginning of my second trimester. I also drink about 2-3 cups a day, and I have been having more BH in the last week or so, than I ever remember having with DS. I'm hoping I'm dialating as we chat...

Plus, it is yummy!
#20 of 22 Old 07-03-2005, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input ladies. My BH contrax have decreased a bit, I think I was just over-exerting myself (DH has been home the past few days, so I've been trying to take things easy and it has made a difference). I'm going to take drinking the RRL tea. I checked the box of tea I got and it is 100% RRL.
#21 of 22 Old 07-04-2005, 11:52 PM
e&r

I had some pre-term labor with my ds and about a month and a half ago I was having regular BH contractions - strong ones - and my midwife said that I should avoid the raspberry leaf tea until I am closer to my due date and am no longer having regular BHs. She said that is *can* sometimes stimulate your uterus if you are already having some unwanted contractions (early, etc.).

I am not going to start until the week after next (I'll be 37 weeks). Then I'll use it a lot. I enjoyed it very much last time and in labor (frozen in ice cube trays, then crushed and mixed with honey. Yum!).

I'd ask your midwife. It could be that you BHs are nothing to worry about. With my history, though, I don't want to take a chance.

Good luck!
Ellen
#22 of 22 Old 10-06-2005, 07:40 PM

My midwife has me mix a spoonful of red raspberry and a spoonful of nettle into a mug of hot water to make a tea.

I am supposed to have a cup a day during the first trimester. 2 cups during the second and 3 in the third.

I really like it. I buy the herbs from a store here in town called Lucia's Garden that sells herbs.

XOXO
Beth

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page