Presents for Siblings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh no! I haven't even thought of this.... I feel terrible... :

Are you giving a gift to the new baby's sibling(s)?? If so - what??

Please share - I could use the ideas!

Becca ~Mama to 3 (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
#2 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 01:00 PM

I've got this thing that comes apart with screws and gears for my son as he loves to take things apart. Give him a screwdriver and he'll be taking something apart in the house--look out he's only 3! I figured it would keep him busy for at least a little while when I will be in bed quite a bit.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#3 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 01:21 PM

They've each got an overnight sized bag filled with books, color wonder stuff, cars and trucks for Josh, workbooks for Lindsey (who has been begging for homeschooling time) - basically things to do at the hospital so they're not bored out of their minds.

They each chose two gifts for the baby - Lindsey chose a pink dragon and spent some of her own money on a sterling silver rattle.. Josh is giving her a carebear (he gave one to Lindsey on the day he was born, so it's kind of a tradition, I guess) and a beautiful blanket. The kids both are totally in love with the dragon Lindsey chose, and they take turns sleeping with it - to fill it up with love, they say... we found out those have been discontinued, but there were two others in the series.. we found them online, and the baby will be giving them each one of their own dragons, different colors, but the same as hers.

We also had to go birthday shopping as Lindsey's birthday is Sunday, and we'll either be coming home from the hospital Saturday or Sunday unless she comes before Thursday.

Oh.. the kids also each got a 5x7 piece of paper that they colored and we put stickers on.. and glued a picture of them on.. we covered it in contact paper and one will go on each side of the isolet for when the baby has to go to the nursery, so they'll be with her always
#4 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 01:25 PM

DS is going to draw pictures for the new baby while I am at the hospital. When he comes to see his new baby brother he will get a present of a set of BoohBah beanies I picked up on eBay cheap. DS is a BoohBah nut at the moment and calls us BoohBah mommy & BoohBah daddy. I even made him a BoohBah bed out of blankets on his bed. I figured they would be appropriate.
#5 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I think we're going to get ds (3.5) a digger. His neighbourhood friend has one and he loves it. We'll say it's a gift from the baby.

I want to have a little party for ds, too, after the baby comes... a party for him becoming a big brother. We'll have cake and the present so he can feel special. My mom is coming, so she can make the cake

lilgreen
#6 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 01:58 PM

DD is getting a doll sling from the baby -- she carries her baby doll everywhere and I know she'll love having a sling like I'll have for our "real" baby. I also got a copy of the movie "Follow That Bird" (remember the Sesame Street movie?) for her to watch in those early weeks of marathon nursing sessions. She doesn't know about either gift -- the sling is from the baby and the movie is from her daddy and I.

She has been telling us for months that she wants to buy the baby a green blanket. So, in her overnight bag that's packed in case she ends up going to my MIL's for the birth, I put a little green purse with a $20 bill in it. MIL knows to take her somewhere before they come to the hospital, so she can buy the baby a special blanket and give it to him/her right away.

Come on now, baby! Come on out!!!
#7 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 02:14 PM

I love reading everyone's ideas! Dh just painted ds room. Ds picked purple and purple it is! In the next couple of weeks we will finish the room up and make it his special "big brother's room".
#8 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 02:19 PM

these are all such special ideas

we're still a bit unsure about what to do for dd - who just turned two but is very verbal and understands the baby is coming. my mom wants to get her a doll - she already has her own sling - so I think i might order some doll diapers and pick up a doll for her also. would prefer a waldorf one but since they are in high demand will prob. just get one from pottery barn kids.
#9 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 02:25 PM

*chiming in from the January forum...hope that's okay...*

Oh, I feel so bad...I can't even remember what DD#2 gave DD#1 when she came home! But we did do something! I haven't given much thought to it at the moment, but I still have time. We'll definitely the baby give them something...DD1 might get something to do with her rock collection or horses...DD2, well unless her interests change she will probably get something horse oriented as well. DD1 will also be getting her own special stack of aplix diapers (she'll choose the fabrics), so that she can change the baby. She is really excited that she will be able to change the baby by herself! :LOL (I think we need to start practicing on a doll! )
#10 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 02:30 PM

Sorry I am not part of this club but the topic caught my eye off the main page.

We are planning on getting DS quite a few toys to upwrap / play with from the baby. We are giving birth at a birth center and DS will be there the whole time, so no doubt he will get very bored. Luckily DSs B-day is a week before my due date (he will be 2), so he will have a few new toys from that as well. However, Chrismas is a few weeks after babies due date... so Christmas may be a bit barren this year due to all the stuff buying.

As far as what to get DS we haven't really figured it out yet, since I am not due till mid Dec we have plenty of time and I am sure that DS will change his tastes by then. But probably some color books w/ magic markers that only color on the special paper (I would feel so bad if he wrote on the walls or something), some trucks, maybe a video tape or DVD (the BC has a tv in the 'family room'), and other little toys that will keep him occupied.
#11 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 03:04 PM

I got DD this big hatbox and in it so far we have stickers, a couple of books, and a puzzle. I'm planning to add some more stuff..we also have a doll stuck back in a closet that we were thinking of giving her, but she has 3 dolls that are her faves right now so I'm not sure we're going to want to add more to the mix.

She's either staying here (we're doing a homebirth) or going to our neighbor's house, so the box will probably be just for when she's here. I would also love to bake a cake to celebrate her becoming a big sister and the birth of her little sister...we'll see how that goes.

I love the idea of her picking out something to give the baby....maybe I can go out with her this week and do that.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#12 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 03:21 PM

the obligatory t-shirts, of course, and some little odds and ends. For Kaitlyn, we're going to take her to JoAnn Etc and let her pick out the material for her new deep pressure blanket, some level one readers, and replace her Just Like Me type doll from Target, since even the doll shop says they can't do all the repairs her old one needs for less than it would cost to replace it...
Bug is a bit harder to figure out, but we're thinking a jumbo box of crayons, new coloring books, and a gift certificate to get her build a bear some new clothes..

Tony and the girls made Emma a Build A Bear baby bear. The girls will bring it to the hospital when they come on Tuesday afternoon...
#13 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 03:25 PM

:

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#14 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon
:

?????
#15 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 03:44 PM

Slight hijack--what could we do for a 9 year old (my step-daughter)? She's not too interested in toys, and anything commemorating the baby is kind of gross to her since she's actually pretty jealous. Handling it well, but jealous.

If she is with us when we go into labor, her grandparents are going to pick her up and go to their house. If she is with her mom, she will stay put.

I am also uncomfortable buying her something impressive since I just feel like we are trying to buy our way out of her feeling left out. YKWIM?

Maybe we should write her a special letter that is not to be opened until the baby is born, or something.

I made her a "Big Sisters Rock" shirt that she loved and wore to the shower. I made a little onesie for the baby that say's "Where's Wendy?" on it -- I'm going to put this on so that's what he's wearing when she first sees him.

Other than that...not sure what else to do. Should we get her something fun like a karoke machine or do something sentimental and reassuring like a letter? Or both?

Thanks everyone for your input!!!!!!

Adrienne-
expecting Owen 8/10-ish
#16 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 03:46 PM

I just figured this out myself!

Since I'm having a second daughter here's what we'll be doing:

DD#1 bought some presents for her sister at BRU the other day (a bib that says "I love my Big Sister", washcloths, a dress, and 2 rattles)

DD#1 loves her Bitty baby, so we bought the twins for her and the prince/princess outfits since she's so into princesses now. Those will be from her sister. I also have a sling for her dolls.

We're giving both girls pearl bracelets that "grow" with them. Meaning they have a little set of links on the so you can move the clasp to whatever size. I bought "Big Sis" and "Lil Sis" Sterling Silver charms and added those. And found a beautiful poem about the girls wearing the bracelets when they are babies and then on their wedding days. I know they won't be able to wear them for years, but it's more the sentimental part of it that I loved.

Now I'm just waiting for the Bitty Twins to come in so I can wrap them - everything else is ready to go!

Michelle
#17 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitnbugsmom
?????
:LOL umm just lurking for ideas here...I think we will probably get a Gund animal for ds. and maybe one for baby from ds.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#18 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
Slight hijack--what could we do for a 9 year old (my step-daughter)? <snip>

Other than that...not sure what else to do. Should we get her something fun like a karoke machine or do something sentimental and reassuring like a letter? Or both?
What about a special piece of jewelry? I like the charm bracelet idea, maybe starting with one from the baby, like a bootie or something, but that you could keep adding to. And then also, maybe you and her dad could give her a gift certificate to do something fun with you guys in a few months, when you're ready to leave babe for a couple of hours -- like, a movie & ice cream, or a trip to the mall for school clothes, or dinner at her favorite restaurant, with the other kiddos left at home.

You're a great stepmom to be so thoughtful!
#19 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 08:00 PM

My husband and I are getting our 9 year old a disposable camera and a photo album for him to make himself. He loves to take pics and this way he has something to show off at school...
#20 of 24 Old 07-25-2005, 11:18 PM

:

Also looking for ideas - hadn't even thought about having ds pick something out for the baby...
#21 of 24 Old 07-26-2005, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
Slight hijack--what could we do for a 9 year old (my step-daughter)? She's not too interested in toys, and anything commemorating the baby is kind of gross to her since she's actually pretty jealous. Handling it well, but jealous.

If she is with us when we go into labor, her grandparents are going to pick her up and go to their house. If she is with her mom, she will stay put.

I am also uncomfortable buying her something impressive since I just feel like we are trying to buy our way out of her feeling left out. YKWIM?

Is there any way to get her involved? Give her a job like choosing a color for the nursery or picking out baby clothes or choosing a baby chair. Something that makes her feel involved and useful.
#22 of 24 Old 07-27-2005, 12:54 AM

My oldest will only be about 18 mo old when this baby arrives. I'm not even sure if he will understand what is going on. However, I've been gathering, "gifts" to give him when the baby arrives. I figure having some new toys for him, might keep him busy. I got him several wooden puzzles, a wooden train set, and a few other age appropriate toys. He's starting to get sick of his, "baby" toys anyway and more into toddler stuff, so I guess it's good timing and a good excuse to get him some new stuff.
#23 of 24 Old 07-27-2005, 02:41 AM

Lindsey was 16.5 months when Josh was born and understood WAY more than most people gave her credit for... at that age, she got a new dolly, doll stroller and sling at the hospital.. and she wouldn't let anyone take him from the room unless she went along, pushing her dolly in the stroller. He got a carebear for her, and she gave him... hrm. I can't remember. I think a rattle.. and it was her job to shake it for him until he was old enough to do it for himself. :LOL
#24 of 24 Old 07-27-2005, 03:03 AM

She is getting a HABA tin game, Leap Frogs and some bath stickers.

She picked out a small wood and cloth rattle for the baby.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page