Sweeping of membranes..did it do anything for you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 08-02-2005, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah that.. did it do anything to move things along for you? I've had it done once before and it didn't do much but I was wondering what others' experiences were. I'm having it done Friday. TIA, Kitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 08-02-2005, 03:19 PM

Just curious but why are you having it done Friday?
I personally think that it would be better to avoid pelvic exams to avoid infection.

It seems to me that if your waters break then you have to get labor started soon (at least according to most doctors). But if you do other things to help labor along you can stop if you need to.

I can see a lot of issues from breaking waters (which is what the sweeping is supposed to do, correct me if I'm wrong, make the sac thinner so it will break soon) if you child is not positioned optimally for labor it can make your labor more painful and longer.

I could see some of those interventions if you have a serious medical issue that necessitates early delivery though.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#3 of 27 Old 08-02-2005, 04:26 PM

Sweeping the membranes stirs up some prostaglandins so that ctx begin. It's fairly benign, until it's not, and then all the infection stuff that comes with it can be really serious.

There is some research that women who have their membranes stripped go into labor sooner than those who don't, but I think the difference is really minimal. If there's no reason *to* go forward with induction techniques, then it seems best to just let nature take it's course.
#4 of 27 Old 08-02-2005, 04:48 PM

My induction plan is to have as much sex as possible. That seems more fun than having membranes stripped.
#5 of 27 Old 08-02-2005, 05:39 PM

i think the reason my waterbroke without having contractions was that my membranes were stripped, we went to the hosp within a couple of hours, I havd 24 hours to labor before they considered a c-sect.

I would not do it again. I think the baby would have come without it before 42 weeks.

Don't know much about the risk of infection.

JennP
#6 of 27 Old 08-02-2005, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm not having it done. My midwife hasn't even mentioned anything about it. From what I've read though, it usually doesn't even do anything much of the time, and it can be quite uncomfortable. It's just like any other "natural labour inducer", it will only work if you were right there anyways. You still have plenty of time before your due date, give baby some more time to grow. He will come when he's ready.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#7 of 27 Old 08-02-2005, 06:03 PM

I had mine stripped and it did as much good as having sex or using EPO on my cervix.

I would just wait on it if I were you. If you were at a point where induction was necessary, then maybe having membranes stripped would be a good start. Better then Cervidil or Pit.

I like calling it "stimulating the cervix" "stripping the membranes" sounds so ick.
#8 of 27 Old 08-02-2005, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamama
I like calling it "stimulating the cervix" "stripping the membranes" sounds so ick.
I think it is kind of ick though.
#9 of 27 Old 08-02-2005, 09:35 PM

ing:

I had my membranes swept at 8 days past my due date (I was at 3cm already) and also had "induction" acupuncture. I was in hard labor 12 hours later and DS was born 12 hours after that. So.. swept membranes >to> babe in arms = 24 hours for me. If you are going to have it done, ask your MW to do a thorough job but go SLOW. My MW took about 5 minutes to do mine, it was pretty uncomfortable but I'm sure much better than cervidil/pit/etc. Good luck!
#10 of 27 Old 08-03-2005, 02:08 AM

Jumping in here since I have some experience with this. For me, some student thought it would be a grand idea to strip my membranes at my 37 wk appt. Not that I think it would have matter too much as ds was born about 18 hrs later. But like others have said, it isn't really all that comfy. You will probably have cramps for a bit after, and possibly some spotting/bleeding. I also have no idea about the infection stuff.

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
#11 of 27 Old 08-03-2005, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

LOL Henhao I can't imagine sex right now..what with just existing being so uncomfortable!

Well the thought was if I don't go into labor by the end of week 38 I'm going to have to be induced, due to size. We're currently 37 weeks and 8 lbs. Again the concern being that a baby with down syndrome nor a baby of a gestationally diabetic woman would tolerate distocia and/or emergency c-section that well. Yes, it's been documented. (My last 2 being 10 lbs and over and both were stuck but were delivered without incident --eventually). I really don't want pitocin *cries* nooooo. I hate that.

Anyway..that was the thinking. Kitty
#12 of 27 Old 08-03-2005, 03:37 AM

How do you *know* he's over 8lbs? Ultrasounds are notoriously wrong. I understand your other kids were large but is it possible that DS could affect his size?
My understanding is that weight gain really does slow down in the last month to about 1/4lb a week.

What if any are the complications of a baby being born before their time if they have DS? Does DS affect breathing or any issues normally associated with babies born too early?

If you have had issues with babies being "stuck" were you allowed to change positions like squatting to help prevent it?

Just throwing some thoughts out there, some things to think about.

#13 of 27 Old 08-03-2005, 03:40 AM

didn't work for me but accupuncture did.
#14 of 27 Old 08-03-2005, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input everyone although I do come away feeling like the village idiot who was just being flogged in public.

Emmabella, your Ethan is one beautiful babe! Kitty
#15 of 27 Old 08-03-2005, 09:19 PM

Well - just one more 'sweeping' experience. I was dead set against it. Wanted no form of inductions of any kind. But - was in pretty intense pro-dromal labor for a week and still only 3 centimeters. I hadn't slept in four days. So -at about 41 weeks she swept my membranes. I don't know if thats what did it...but after having some different types of contractions (shorter, harder) for several hours, I got a bit of a break and then labor started again...this time the real thing. So it worked for me. Still would be cautious if I ever got pregnant again....but circumstances do have a way of changing your mind about things.

Good luck!
J
#16 of 27 Old 08-03-2005, 09:40 PM

Kitty, I'm sorry if I made you feel that way. It just sounds like you might be scared about this birth. I hope that we can all make our decisions not because we've been scared into them but because we think its the best choice.

#17 of 27 Old 08-03-2005, 10:46 PM

My m/w sep my membranes as 40 weeks 6 days. I was already having painless ctx (she informed me as I was not aware) and I was already dilated 2-3cm 80% effaced. The ctx started within a few hrs and I wanted to be alone. I did have a long, painful labor though but it was also my 1st. I vomited, had diarhea all night..didn't sleep all night but he was born the next day around 6ish pm so more than 24 hrs of labor. I did it naturally, in the water at a hospital. The 2nd time around, without any vag exams, I had a much shorter, easier labor but it is hard to say why that was. Good Luck to you!
#18 of 27 Old 08-04-2005, 05:31 PM

I had it done at 40w1d (against my wishes at that : ) I started bleeding & contracting immedietly and my water broke within hours. baby was in a bad position and I ended up with a c/s almost 30 hours later, which I contribute greatly to this procedure. I definitly am convinced I would not gone into labor when I did (I had to eventually be augmented which added a whole other bunch of issues too which didn't help) had I not had this done. (Maybe a day or two later but not the day it was done) for me it was a downward spiral of interventions.

I wouldn't do it unless I was overdue and facing a repeat c/s.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#19 of 27 Old 08-04-2005, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!

Rainbowmoon that sounds horrific! LOL Luckily baby's in a great position and things are looking good. Today's biophysical profile showed he's getting low on water. Ultrasounds this late in the game sure are hard to make out. I was looking at it and thinking, ok, I recognize his head...LOL. Anyway he passed with flying colors.

I was thinking last night, when I couldn't sleep, how I had my membranes swept once and didn't know they did it until it was over. MW was doing an internal exam and did it. She let me sit up and said, well I swept your membranes we'll see if that does something *gulp*. It's amazing how much a person changes with experience. I used to be like ohhh ok....like a real flake. Now I'd be mad. With my last pregnancy I reported a midwife to the board for treating me so badly. She's been sweet as pie to me ever since. I said I'd let the janitor help me deliver rather than her. She was nasty to hubby too...not a good thing at all.

Ok I'm rambling. Kitty
#20 of 27 Old 08-04-2005, 11:13 PM

at 40 wks with DD#2, and it was horribly painful, made me cry. I experienced cramping and bleeding afterwards, but no baby until a week later. From what I understand, if the cervix isn't ripe, it's pointless. If I go over this time (and I'm sure I will, lol), I'm not going to stress about it... of course, talk to me in a week, and I might be piping a different tune!

susie
#21 of 27 Old 08-05-2005, 05:45 AM

Susie! I was just wondering about you today!!!
#22 of 27 Old 08-05-2005, 10:45 AM

I expected you'd have your baby by now, I thought you tended to go early with your babies. I honestly don't feel like I'll give birth anytime soon, I expect to be pg forever, lol. In the process of gearing up for the homebirth, was encouraged to hear that a friend went from 6 cm to baby out in 15 minutes when she birthed at home... I'm super-terrified of having to push 1+ hour again... I'm hoping the baby will sort of fall out, lol.

How are you doing? Is it super-hot in TO?

susie
#23 of 27 Old 08-05-2005, 11:21 AM

[QUOTE=spearso]I expected you'd have your baby by now, I thought you tended to go early with your babies.

I just sent you a pm but will answer you here too, no I never go early.. usually right on or nice and late

I honestly don't feel like I'll give birth anytime soon, I expect to be pg forever, lol.

Ya I feel like that but not willingly! I want this over

In the process of gearing up for the homebirth, was encouraged to hear that a friend went from 6 cm to baby out in 15 minutes when she birthed at home... I'm super-terrified of having to push 1+ hour again... I'm hoping the baby will sort of fall out, lol.

aww well chances are doing it on your own timeline and with people not yelling at you to push you will do just fine its alot nicer when you can just relax and follow your bodies cues.

How are you doing? Is it super-hot in TO?

Its MAJOR hot here.. horrible uck... how about where you are?
#24 of 27 Old 08-05-2005, 11:42 AM

I think given the options you are looking at, sweeping of the membranes is pretty benign. Although many here are against cervical checks, I am not. I like them as a patient so i know what is going on, and I find them helpful as a midwife. As long as the ob follow proper handwashing/gloving techniques, I wouldn't be too worried about it. The actual infection rate is very, very low.It can be painful, usually not too bad.

That being said, sweeping may do absolutely nothing for you. And I totally understand about sex. Just the thought sounds painful to me (and that was before the broken rib). And the contractions and cramping after sex that I get are worse than sweeping. Are you doing anything else? Like evening primose oil?

Good luck, let us know how it goes?
#25 of 27 Old 08-05-2005, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Hi! Thanks! You know what kind of sounds odd to me, now I haven't thought it through 100% is people are fine with inserting epo produced on some machine but are leary from infections from cervix checks. eh sounds odd to me but I've never had a problem in 6 pregnancies..knock wood. so.. anyway!

I am group B strep positive, doctor didn't have that result back when she suggested the sweep so obviously it wasn't done! (I see high risk physicians and midwives). The midwife did check my cervix and it's still 2 cm, inside is closed and everything's very soft and anterior so things are looking good for things to go on their own anyway. He's sitting high but as we all know, in subsequent pregnancies they never truly engage anyway. So still hanging out in the holding pattern..as it were. I told her that my with my 3rd pregnany she checked me, I was totally closed, cervix was long and hard and posterior and I had her at 8:30 the next morning so there's no exact science to it!

Anyway...that's the scoop. Thanks, Kitty
#26 of 27 Old 08-05-2005, 03:48 PM

Yeah Kitty. I hear you. I think I may go get some EPO today, but DH votes for the sex. :LOL Of course! I am 38 weeks and at my check yesterday they said I was 3cm outside and 1 inside. From what I understand this is totally normal for the cervix to be kind of funnel shaped like that in 2+ pregnancies. Sounds like what yours is doing too.

I am excited that I am doing a little of something.

Homeschooling mama to 3 Italian babies. homeschool.gif  Due with #4 on Sept. 28! Planning a rockin' Homebirth. homebirth.jpg

#27 of 27 Old 08-06-2005, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Well, didn't have the membranes swept BUT the exam itself has put me in a lot of pain. Lower abdom. cramping, legs aching, back aching...I can barely walk. So getting checked out did something. It'll either die off or kick in..time will tell. No serious contractions yet, just some hefty b/h contractions. Strange how things turn out. Well I'm off to bed, they had me take Tylenol PM...to help with the pain and the pm part will help me really relax so that if labor is going to kick in I'll be all relaxed and nature will take it's course.

Time will tell.. Kitty

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page