It WAS Early, Early, Early Active Labor (LOL!)... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 08-06-2005, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The contractions were irregular all day Monday and DID actually peter out by dinner. I didn't bother to call anyone.

The contractions started back up as soon as I woke up Tuesday and were intense and irregular all day. DH, Monica (the midwife), and her assistant spent all day here. We made the chocolate birthday cake and watched a funny movie. The contractions were strong and regular unless I sat down - then they would stop. By the end of the day no progress had been made and everyone went home. Mom stayed overnight, and we went shopping to do a little more walking. But by the time we got home the contractions had fizzled again.

By 4 AM Wednesday, the contractions were really strong and very crampy, but far enough apart that I could sleep between them. I got up at 6:00 and paced around the house - cleaning up the mess from Tuesday. I called Monica at 7:00 to let her know things were moving again, I had to breathe through the contractions which was an improvement from Tuesday, and I had a few pink tinges in a lot of mucus. She called back to check on me at 7:30 and decided to come over - a 50 minute drive each way from where she was vacationing for the week at a family reunion - I was really not wanting her to come back unless it was the real thing! I had decided NOT to sit down because I was afraid the contractions would stop again, so I just walked them up all morning and they continued to strengthen until I had to moan through them. Counter-pressure on my lower back/tailbone was heavenly. Since I had been going strong since 6:00, at about 10:00 Monica suggested I take a break to give my feet a rest. I sat down and the contractions continued! YAY! They were getting closer, so at about 11 she told me I could get in the shower or the birth pool when I felt ready.

I chose to get in the birth pool at 11:30 and the hot water felt SO good! At about noon I felt a gush and I Knew I could not have peed that much with my bladder so squished by baby. After my water broke the contractions became amazingly powerful. I had to change my breathing again to get through them. DH sat behind me outside the pool, holding my head and sponging my face with cold water between contractions. They started feeling pushy around 12:30, but Monica instructed me to breathe through a few more to finish off dilating completely. At last I could hold back no longer and I just HAD to push. After about 2-3 strong pushes I felt the head crowning. I told her it had crowned, but had moved back up after I stopped pushing. She thought I still had a ways to go, but on the next contraction I pushed the head out! When I pushed during the next contraction, baby didn't budge.

Monica said I would have to get out of the birthing pool! Oh. My. God. The head was already delivered and I was in SO much pain!!! I tried getting up, but another contraction hit me when I got on my knees and leaned on the edge of the pool to stand up. Monica suggested we try pushing here. Again, baby didn't budge. Monica insisted at that point that I had to get out NOW. After much crying on my part (due to the pain), and assistance from everyone, I managed to somehow get out of the pool and down on my hands and knees on the floor while baby's head was sticking out of me. Monica instructed me to lower my bottom and push with all my might during the next contraction. When it hit, she reached in, grabbed baby under the arms, folded the shoulders in, and while I pushed she PULLED! Thank GOD! The body came out with a gush that felt like I shot it across the room!

While everyone rushed for more chux, possible oxygen for baby, etc., I lifted a leg and moved the cord to find out we had a GIRL!! I just couldn't believe it! I had to check a couple more times to be Sure there was no penis! Jessica Rachel was born at 12:48 PM. The second surprise we got was how BIG she is. She measured 10 lb 12 oz, 22 inches! At 3 days old, she has already outgrown all the newborn clothes and dipes we have.

According to Mom, her head turned black while she was stuck. Even though her body was a great pink color right from the start, it took at least 24 hours for her head to turn from purple to pink. But we were lucky and she ended up fine, no broken bones, all her extremities work well, and I didn’t even tear although I am certainly sore and my pelvic bones feel pretty bruised.

She nurses like a champ and my milk came in last night. I’m waiting for the baby-moon to be over before I make a declaration about her disposition and sleep habits, but so far we’ve had a good 3-4 hour stretch of sleep each night and she isn’t fussy at all, with good wakeful periods during the day. Hopefully she’ll be an “easy” baby to make up for her difficult birth!

I can’t say how thankful I am that Monica was here and maintained her calm during the delivery. I guess that is what being a professional midwife is all about. We had such an unproblematic, relaxed home birth with Justin that I could have easily had too much confidence and gone without a midwife this time – but I don’t even like to think about what would have happened if we had decided not to have Monica here.

~ Amy ~

Homeschooling Mom of

ds 16, ds14, ds9, dd6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 08-06-2005, 02:05 PM

Congratulations Amy, Brian, Jacob, Jaden, and Justin!!!
: :

: Jessica!

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#3 of 19 Old 08-06-2005, 02:36 PM

Wow!! you are THE woman!!! 10 lbs 12oz? WOW. hahahaa sounds like everything is turning out great for you!! congratulations and I'm glad to hear the two of you are fairing well.

whooo hooo!!! Kitty

#4 of 19 Old 08-06-2005, 03:05 PM

Wow! That is amazing! Congratulations!!!!
#5 of 19 Old 08-06-2005, 03:58 PM

Now that's a story you won't easily forget! Sounds like you have a strong, healthy (LARGE!) baby- congratulations!!!

Traci
#6 of 19 Old 08-06-2005, 04:31 PM

Yahoo Amy!
What a big girl! You might very well have the biggest baby!
Congrats on your birth and staying strong. Enjoy your babymoon.
_ Kerri
#7 of 19 Old 08-06-2005, 06:36 PM

wow, way to go and congrats on your girl!!
#8 of 19 Old 08-06-2005, 06:37 PM

What a story! Thank you for sharing. Congratulations to you and your family, and happy Birth Day to little Jessica.

Maury
#9 of 19 Old 08-06-2005, 06:38 PM

Yippee! Congrats Amy! WoW! :

Happy, busy mama of 2 - A (9/05) and W (2/08)
Acupuncturist to pregnant and post partum mamas!
#10 of 19 Old 08-06-2005, 06:51 PM

WOOOOO_HOOOOOOO!
#11 of 19 Old 08-06-2005, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WOW! Congratulations Mama - way to grow and birth a beautiful big baby! Enjoy that babymoon!

Welcome to the world baby Jessica!
#12 of 19 Old 08-06-2005, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Awesome story, mama! Welcome to your little (big!) girl!
#13 of 19 Old 08-06-2005, 10:07 PM

That's great! Congrats! : Wow, almost 11 pounds--I'm impressed!

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#14 of 19 Old 08-06-2005, 10:53 PM

Congrats and welcome to baby Jessica!!

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#15 of 19 Old 08-07-2005, 01:03 AM

Congrats, congrats! I guess you jumped right over the "newborn" sizes!
#16 of 19 Old 08-07-2005, 03:11 AM

Congratulations!

I'm a little confused as to why she wanted you to get out of the pool to begin with? Was she showing signs of being "stuck" that early?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#17 of 19 Old 08-07-2005, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations on a baby girl!!! Woohoo!!!
#18 of 19 Old 08-07-2005, 11:54 AM

Congrats on your daughter! Jessica is a beautiful name. Welcome to the world little one! Happy Birthday!

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
#19 of 19 Old 08-07-2005, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamao'two
I'm a little confused as to why she wanted you to get out of the pool to begin with? Was she showing signs of being "stuck" that early?
I guess after her head was out she wasn't turning into position or budging even a little with a push that should have delivered her body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabigus
I guess you jumped right over the "newborn" sizes!
We did jump over the newborn sizes! We had purchased newborn disposies to use until the meconium cleared and I had to switch to cloth after the 1st day cuz they just weren't fitting around her legs. She is wearing 3-6 mo clothes too. Most of the newborn things we have are too short for her long body

~ Amy ~

Homeschooling Mom of

ds 16, ds14, ds9, dd6

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page