What our babies are doing in their last womb days... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-10-2005, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read this info tonight in one of my pregnancy books. It made me feel more patient about having the baby, so I though I would share it:

" Fetal development late in pregnancy not only sets in motion some of the mechanisms that initiate labor, it also prepares the baby for life outside the uterus. He stores iron at a rapid rate in the late weeks of pregnancy, taking in enough to supplement the small amounts in breast milk and to meet his need for the next four to six months.

"The baby adds fat and develops the mechanism to maintain his own body temperature. He gains weight and strength. His fetal lungs mature, ensuring that he will be able to breath without difficulty.

"As the placenta ages, the membrane that separates the fetal blood from the maternal blood becomes more permeable to large molecules. This permits antibodies and immunoglobins to cross from your bloodstream to your baby's, providing months of protection for the baby against diseases to which you are immune. If you breastfeed, you will continue to provide such protection for as long as you nurse."

I thought he was just hanging out getting bigger--so this was interesting me--hopefully to you too!!

Adrienne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-10-2005, 06:32 AM

Hey Adrienne thanks for sharing! I read something about that too and I felt a twinge of guilt for wishing for baby so much! I guess that increased permeability of the placenta is why there are some meds one shouldn't take late in pregnancy. Funny what you find out.

Makes every single day more valuable. Thank you! Kitty
#3 of 5 Old 08-10-2005, 11:16 AM

Are you sure they're not hanging out playing canasta? :LOL
#4 of 5 Old 08-10-2005, 11:38 AM

Apparently mine is also doing water aerobics or something... trying to figure out just how far we can stretch Mommy's uterus and abdomen. And torturing me with this waiting - if this is a girl, she's going to be a diva (not like her mother) with this grand entrance suspense thing.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#5 of 5 Old 08-10-2005, 04:35 PM

Yeah, there's some lung development going on and so forth. Mostly, mine is enjoying all the chocolate doughnuts I can't seem to stop eating. :LOL

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page