Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   August 2005 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/294-august-2005/)
-   -   Who's tandeming? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/294-august-2005/334696-who-s-tandeming.html)

Mama Coltrane 08-28-2005 05:45 PM

Let's chat....
How is it going?
-Kerri

nancy926 08-28-2005 10:40 PM

I am!

It started out terrible - S. would only want milk when Z. was nursing, and I couldn't nurse them at the same time because Z's been choking on milk if I don't have her in precisely the right position (and sometimes even if I do). Now S. is at the point where she knows she has to wait if Z. is nursing, and sometimes if S. is nursing and Z. wakes up, S. knows she will have to "finish up".

So...I've had my moments where I didn't want to nurse either of them ever again, but for the most part it has been okay. I do think it has helped the transition to "big sister" a bit as well....tonight S. gave Z a hug and told her that she loved her....awwwww.

Nancy

Anguschick1 08-29-2005 11:16 PM

Not tandeming (yet!) but will be in the next few weeks....any BTDT advice for a newbie?

Mama Coltrane 08-30-2005 01:53 PM

Tandeming with 25 month old. iT is going OK, but DS wants milk all the time. Are you putting any limits on it, or just going with the flow?
The benefits of tandem nursing have become quite clear. DS isn't very jealous of the new baby. He also gets to have that bonding time with me. Also, I had mastitis twice with him and I don't htink I will get it this time. My toddler helps out with that when I am engorged. So far it is a good situation, I just wish he asked for it a little bit less.

nancy926 08-30-2005 08:00 PM

DD is 33 months....distraction sometimes works, but when she really wants it she wants "both milks" and it takes 15-20 minutes. Usually it's when she's feeling overlooked or underloved, lol. Or just tired.

I do have some limits - I tell her when there's 2 minutes left and ask her to finish up.

Nursing a toddler has worked wonders with the engorgement though - - I really haven't had any.

heldt123 08-30-2005 09:14 PM

My boobs think I'm tandeming, does that count? :LOL I wish....

streetkitty 09-06-2005 12:20 PM

I am tandeming with my 24 month old as well. She does want milk everytime I am nursing. Sometimes she only nurses for a few minutes, other times she nurses longer than the baby. I don't mind it during the day but I am concerned about nighttime. She nightweaned at 20 months and I do not want to be nursing 2 babies in the night. At this point, when the baby wakes in the night I take him from the co-sleeper and nurse in the living room since I need to change him anyway. DD woke last night while I was nursing and came into the living room and wanted to nurse together which I let her do. But I am worried once the baby is in the bed and I don't leave the bed to nurse, that she will want to night nurse again as well.

I do like the fact that their is no resentment of the baby. We have had a few meltdowns if she needs to wait for milk or mama but I think it's more that her routine has been disrupted- she is used to getting out with mama everyday. But DH has been taking her out the last couple of days and that seems to really help.

Any BTDT advice regarding the night nursing? It's only been a few days so I cannot really see what the situation will be 2 weeks from now...

Traci

nancy926 09-06-2005 10:07 PM

Traci,
So your DD is still sleeping w/you? I have not BTDT on the night nursing, but only b/c DD has been sleeping in her own bed for the past 2 months. If she were still in w/us I could see her wanting to nurse at night again. I am not sure what I would do....right now I would probalby do whatever gave me the most uninterrupted sleep....not a lot of help I am sure, lol.

ecurlycue 09-06-2005 11:32 PM

I am tandeming with my dd who is 19 months and new dd who is 6 weeks today. It is going well so far, I tell dd A that baby needs milk first and then when baby is done she can have milk. She seems to really get it, if I just explain to her what and why. The only thing that has sucked is that the babe has thrush, and I got a slice in my nipple about 2.5 weeks ago. The nipple has heled but boy was it the most painful thing ever! I used gentian violet on the baby and it seemed to stop it, as well as probiotics for her and myself. I just noticed today that her mouth has got patches insid eit again! The older dd doesnt show any signs or symptoms of yeast though. This really sucks though! I am sure I need to treat all of us, as well as washing my clothes/bras with a vinegar rinse, which I have been doing, anyone else have any other suggestions?

I must say that I havent had problems with engormnent either , or leaking!!! Also I got mastitis in the breast with the cut on it but was able to get rid of it within about 48 hours. Any how thanks for this thread its nice to be able to share as I dont even know anyoine else who is breastfeeding right now.
Elizabeth