Dominic's birth story! *ADDED Picture link* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-01-2005, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Labor started on Monday Aug. 29th. The contractions were far apart, not really a pattern and would kind of stop and start. I was 9 days over my date, so I figured it was probably going to turn into the real thing soon. Tuesday the 30th, Dh stayed and worked from home to be with me and help with Gioia. I called my mom to tell her to go to her meetings and get them done, so she would be available. I had an appointment to go in at 4pm for my checkup and I was going to tell her I wasn't going home. :LOL

10am or so I was seeing lots of bloody show. So I knew the contractions were doing their thing. They were still 10 mins or so apart and not very strong, maybe lasting 30 seconds. Called my mom and sister to tell them to come down after they got out of work and class at noon. They arrived about 2:30pm. Contractions were about 5 mins apart. I could talk through them and I still didn't think they were lasting long enough. My mom was kind of freaked so she told us to go on to the hospital. So my sister, massimo and I headed off. I called my midwife and she said to come to the office to get checked.

3pm - Get to the midwives office. I am 5cm and 70% effaced. But since I was doing so well, laughing and talking, she suggested we go to the mall and walk around. Get to the mall and they are about 3-4 minutes apart and I have to stop walking when I get one. Otherwise we are still talking and drinking orange julius and ice cream. After about an hour we decided to head back as they are closer and longer.

4:30 - Call and check in with Julie (midwife), she says we can walk more or go check in at the hospital. She called the hospital and told them I would be checking in within the next hour or two.

5:30 - Check in at the hospital. I am doing good still. Julie will be there at 6:30, so they were gonna just let her check me. They let me wear my own t-shirt for laboring in.

6:30 - Julie arrives checks me. I am 6-7 cm and 95% effaced, she suggests we break the water. We break the water and it was nice and clear. Babies heart looks good, contractions were still 3 mins apart, but some lasting 1-2 minutes. Although they only were uncomfortable for about 30-40 seconds of that. I was still getting a nice break in between contractions. I got on the birthing ball and that felt good. Not sure what time but must have been about 8 or so, the contractions got really strong and intense. I had to rock on the ball and really breathe and concentrate. The nurse came in and was holding the heart monitor on my belly. Baby had a couple dips, so they got me back in the bed and on the monitor. I guess he didn't like it that I was leaning forward on him. SO then he was doing ok.

As soon as I got in the bed, all HELL broke loose. It was about 8:15 or so, I had 3 really bad contractions and then I HAD to push. Massimo and Melanie (sister) had one leg and the nurse Connie had the other. I pushed and yelled/screamed for 10 minutes and he was OUT! Praise the lord! If you heard someone yelling from 8:18-8:28.....yeah that was me! :LOL

I had a small 1st degree tear, mostly superfical, but got a few stitches. She said my tailbone made a pop, but it really feels fine. All I have needed for pain meds is Tylenol a couple times. I got to see my placenta, which was pretty cool.

He was 8 lb. 3 oz. and 18 1/2 inches long. Has kind of a conehead, but fat cheeks and short legs (like his dad!).

This birth and this hospital rocks! I was able to do my own thing, they didn't care that I wasn't doing vaxs or not doing circumcision. No one offered me pain meds. They actually READ my birth plan and said it looked good. They have only checked my tummy about 2-3 times. They haven't tried to take the baby from the room, and they could care less that I sleep in the bed with him. It is great!

I also feel so much better physically than I did with my first birth, with epidural. With my first I said to have pain meds sent home with me, an episotomy, bruised tailbone, barfed and generally felt like I was hit by a truck. This time I have had 2 doses of tylenol, one of aleve and walked to my clean room. Didn't even need the cold pack or the creams for my cha-cha. My back hurts from the crappy bed, more than my vagina! Dominic came into the world to the sound of him mom screaming and yelling, but that is ok. He is a mellow little guy. Just taking his sweet time to nurse. Laying around looking at everything. Kind of like the time he took to get here (41 wks 3 days).

http://www.babababies.com/view/view.cfm?SITEID=16183

Homeschooling mama to 3 Italian babies. homeschool.gif  Due with #4 on Sept. 28! Planning a rockin' Homebirth. homebirth.jpg

#2 of 13 Old 09-02-2005, 12:39 AM

CONGRATS MAMA!!! I'm happy you had such a nice labor!!! Enjoy your sweet new baby boy!!
#3 of 13 Old 09-02-2005, 01:04 AM

What a nice labor/birthing! Congratulations!

Welcome to the world Dominic!
#4 of 13 Old 09-02-2005, 08:53 AM

Yahoo. What a great story- and being vocal during pushing is good. I made some interesting noises myself!!
- Kerri
#5 of 13 Old 09-02-2005, 11:14 AM

How wonderful! Congratulations again!
#6 of 13 Old 09-03-2005, 05:29 PM

That's great about your hospital being so easy to work with!

I agree about the vocals... my neighbors heard me... I just know that I pushed better when I made those noises, and my little guy knows just how hard I was working for him!

Congratulations, Jamie!

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#7 of 13 Old 09-03-2005, 11:23 PM

NAK
Congrats!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#8 of 13 Old 09-04-2005, 12:26 AM

glad you had a great birth!
welcome dominic!
#9 of 13 Old 09-04-2005, 01:40 AM

Oh, look at him!!! He is so cute!!!!
#10 of 13 Old 09-04-2005, 09:42 AM

Welcome Dominic!
#11 of 13 Old 09-04-2005, 11:08 AM

What a beauty he is! many congratulations on your new wee one.
#12 of 13 Old 09-04-2005, 11:26 AM

He's beautiful! Congrats again!
#13 of 13 Old 09-04-2005, 09:45 PM

Cute babe! Congratulations! Glad it all went well.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page