Birthing from Within - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-07-2005, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did the Bradley Method the first time around, but got the book about birthing from within after hearing some good things about it. I've started to read it, but I was wondering if others have read it, and if so, do you think it's worth the read? What were your experiences with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-07-2005, 03:02 AM

I looked through it but didn't totally read it.

It was too ooey-gooey for me. I didn't feel like drawing a picture to depict my feelings about my caesarean....

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#3 of 5 Old 01-07-2005, 03:13 AM

This is a book that I keep in my lending library to give to the mom's I work with. Although some may feel that they are not into the creative exercises, the advice that is given on how to breathe and visualize through labor are very good. I encourage my moms to take a look at those sections as they near their edd. So, if you have the book or have access to it, it is worth the read for that reason alone. Enjoy!
#4 of 5 Old 01-07-2005, 08:24 PM

I loved it the first time round, and actually did a childbirth course based on that philosophy. I'm an artsy fartsy girl to begin with though, and I really liked the idea of marking my pregnancy journey with some of the artistic exercises. I still have a clay model of myself birthing that I made during the course, it's actually on my computer desk as I type ...the baby and the arm gor broken off so i've been meaning to bury it in the backyard and let earth reclaim it, but that's a bit off topic.

I think the read is for sure worth it., If you are plannign for a drug free childbirth, you need some concrete techniques to help you through it (as you know form bradley, i would assume) ...the book has lots of ideas for different techniques. I also find that the section on facing your birthing fears is a valuable one, ironically enough, moreso now that I am facing a second...the first time round I wasn't scared...but now I know what I'm in for :LOL

Anyway, I left my copy at the hospital after ds was born, and will be getting another copy early in my pregnancy this time.
#5 of 5 Old 01-07-2005, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

I already like stuff about it. For instance, the book talks about addressing your number 1 question and your worries. Tonight, my husband and I wrote down all the stuff we associate with pregnancy and birth and then we evaluated what assumptions we were bringing into this journey. We also did a "worry list" and talked through all the worries that we had.

You'd be surprised how much you may not know about your own worries and dh's. Even after ds's birth, I think there are issues that were left unturned. If anything, the book helps you to talk in concrete terms. I'm into Zen, so I can tolerate some of the artsy fartsy elements.

Anyway, let me know how your reading goes this time. Perhaps we can discuss as time goes on.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page