New mommy to be - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-07-2005, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone, This is my first pregnancy and I'm looking for advise. I don't seem to get a break from "morning sickness". Mine has turned out to be morning/noon/night sickness. My mid-wife has told me this is normal for some unfortunate ladies. Even so, I'm worried that I'm not eating enough to sustain a healthy pregnancy. I feel sick when I'm hungry, but I wretch at the thought of eating. This has been going on for 7 solid days. I hate to complain, because I'm so excited to be expecting. However I don't think I can do this for 3 months! How do you ladies get through this not so happy part of your pregnancy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-07-2005, 04:43 PM

I didn't have much ms with my first, and I've only had a wee bit of nausea so far with this one.

Standard advice that I've seen is to nibble all day, on whatever you can stomach. Dry crackers seems to help most people. Another friend of mine had bowls of nuts everywhere -- living room, by the computer, etc., and just had a handful of nuts as often as she could.

I just read another tip of drinking pickle water in another thread -- http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=233664 -- check that out for other ideas.

Do keep an eye on it. I had one friend who had ms throughout her pregnancy -- she had to go into the hospital and get tubes into her arms every day because she literally couldn't keep anything down.
#3 of 6 Old 01-07-2005, 05:14 PM

Ugh, I had that the first time around, and am expecting it to show up again shortly. It used to wake me up at night. Are you throwing up all the time, or just queasy all day long?

I basically just followed my cravings, which were for salt and meat mostly. I felt too sick to eat but only felt better when I was eating (thank goodness I was walking a lot, LOL). I've heard some people got relief from using Sea-Bands, which are motion sickness bands that provide continuous pressure on acupressure points on your wrists. You can find them in most large drugstores. Ginger is supposed to be good for nausea, and I've known some women who swore by ginger candy/ginger lollipops/pickled ginger. I know Whole Foods and Wild Oats carry it, so I would guess most natural foods stores would have it. I've heard drinking water with lemon can help, and I've heard something about vitamin B supplements as well, though I don't know much about it.

For me though, the only thing that helped was eating salty, awful foods (a lot of Burger King, frighteningly). I'm sorry there's no magic cure. My nausea started to ease at the end of 12 weeks and was gone entirely by the end of 13 weeks.

Hang in there, mama!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#4 of 6 Old 01-07-2005, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the advise. It's nice to hear other mom's stories. I have only vomited twice, and am mostly just nausious all the time. That's what makes it difficult to eat. I do crave salt. And just like you BurgerKing was what I craved last night. Boy was that a bad idea. Instead of nausea pains, I suffered with bowel pains all night! The first few days I drank alot of lemon and ginger tea which seemed to help. But now the smell is too strong. Oh well, I'll just pray for an end to these not so fun symptoms and try to look forward to watching my body grow. I can't wait to feel the first flutter :LOL
Thanks again.
#5 of 6 Old 01-07-2005, 08:16 PM

I had the 24./7 morning sickness with ds1, and it was awful, but you will get through it....

I second ginger....but use real ginger...cut it up, simmer it in water on the stove, add honey and lemon if you want, and drink it as a strong tea...ginger candy can also be good.

The thing that worked best for me was acupuncture...gave me the relief i needed for a few days, so if you can afford that, it's a good option. The sea bands ( I wore them for about 8 weeks) didn't seem to help that much, but who knows how bad it would have been without them.

Good luck, I know the constant barfy feeling, and don't envy you.
#6 of 6 Old 01-07-2005, 08:31 PM

First, congrats!
Second, I had horrible nausea with both of mine... you're not alone! I know it doesn't make it better, sorry. But, it does go away.
With dd, I couldn't even keep water down for the first trimester. She was 8lbs. 4ozs. at birth! At home! With ds, I had the nausea coupled with hideous migraines : for the first trimester and dd to entertain. He was 9lbs. 2ozs. also born at home!
My midwife told me, "The sicker you are, the healthier the baby!" That might a load of crap, but it worked in my case!
My very best wishes for you and your babe! Keep us posted on how you're doing!
-Wendy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page