Can anyone refer me to any links or books that discuss safety/risks of bf while pg? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-07-2005, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom is (finally) very supportive of my decisions, but her dr., who used to be my dr and who basically insisted I wean to solve a medical problem I had (long story, breast infections), is not. Ultimately, I never went back to her, and was comfortable in my decision, but now she is freaking my mom out about the health (not safety, but nutrition, bone health, etc.) of the new baby due to Bella's nursing.

I would like my mom to feel better about this. Again, I am comfortable with my decision--and I use the term comfortable loosely, because it feels like someone is shoving a knife through my nipples when Bella latches on, LOL--but if I can, I want to assuage my mom's fears. The dr, as far as I'm concerned, can shove it.

So can anyone point in the direction of anything they've read?

TIA

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#2 of 5 Old 01-07-2005, 07:36 PM

All available through La Leche League International :
"Nursing Through Pregnancy and Beyond" is put out by an Australian breastfeeding mother's organization. It's a booklet with great info presented in a concise manor.

"Adventures in Tandem Nursing" by Hillary Flower

"The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" has a chapter on it, I believe.

So does "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" by Norma Jane Bumgarner

LLL also has info on pregnant nursing on their site (or did last time I checked).

I believe kellymom.com has some info as well.

I have LOTS of personal experience nursing through pregnancy as I've nursed through one pregnancy (got pg when ds was 9 months old), tandem nursed, tandem nursed through pregnancy, triandem nursed, then ds#1 self-weaned and now, a year after his weaning, I'm tandem nursing through pregnancy once again! If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#3 of 5 Old 01-07-2005, 10:50 PM

I read "Mothering your nursing toddler" and started "Adventures in Tandem Nursing". I recommend both. It really helps to read and see pictures of other moms nursing toddlers, tandem nursing, etc. since we don't get a chance to see it often if ever! Added benefit: Ds likes the pictures of toddlers nursing, and points and says "umma". These books are not biased and one-sided. They are very clear about the research and do not state in black and white terms that there is only one answer. Nonetheless, they do support mothers who nurse while pregnant. I certainly plan to.
#4 of 5 Old 01-10-2005, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to say thanks to you both. I was looking more for "objective" research on the subject, like from medical journals or something, but since I couldn't find anything solid in all my research, I'm reasonably sure my mother's dr. won't be able to produce anything either. SO THERE! LOL, no, really though, my mom seems to have decided to keep her concerns to herself. She's taken the tack of trying to provide me with healthy foods and making sure I'm eating right. I told her that my m/w said I just need to make sure to keep up with my protein, so she brought me over a huge container of cashews, stolen from my dad :-)

Thanks for the recs though, I need to try to find those books at one of our branch libraries, my local doesn't have any of them.

Thanks again!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#5 of 5 Old 01-11-2005, 12:03 AM

University of Nebraska Medical Center Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology

NursingTwo.com This includes a list of experts, including medical professionals, who endorse the safety of nursing through pregnancy.

HTH!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page