Midwife group or OB group w/ 2 midwifes on staff???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2005, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still trying to decide whether to go to a midwife or an ob. I thought I found the best of both worlds with an ob office with 2 midwives that I could switch off seeing. Today at the mw apt. she really made me worry more about having another preemie (ds born at 36 weeks). I know it wasn't that early, but we had our difficulties. She said my goal this pg is to have another 36 week baby. No, I think my goal is to have a full term baby. There is no reason why I shouldn't be able to is how I see it. I do worry all of the time about having an earlier baby, but I really can't do anything about it.

So, do I stay with this practice. They have 4 obs and 2 midwives. I like the ob but she still didn't sit down with me in my first apt. And they have a lot of stairs in the entrance which makes it really hard with my 2 yr old carrying him up/down. they have their own us machine and deliver at a good hospital.

Or, do I switch to the midwife group. There are 12 midwives. Most of my friends go here and they have a great reputation. The mw I want to go to only works 2 days a week, and it is hard to get answers or care when she isn't there. I was spotting a few weeks ago and they just kindof blew it off since she wasn't on call. They also deliver at a good hospital but it is a level 2.

I don't know why this has been such a hard decision. I thought I had my mind made up until I met with that mw today.

What do you think? Help. Sorry so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2005, 06:59 PM

You have to make a decision you're comfortable with. I just went through a decision making process about birthing choices, and I think I knew all along what I wanted, but fear made me indecisive. I think that this issue is important and worth considering as you only get to birth your baby once. In my perspective, I would absolutely, absolutely go with the midwife practice. I think that there is probably good reason why you're feeling hesitant about the ob practice. Going with your gut is usually a good idea. It sounds like you're married to the idea of having ob's. After my research, however, I decided that keeping ob's as far from my birth as possible is the best thing I can do. You may not feel the same way, but maybe you could explore your reasons for wanting them at hand.

Not all midwives (medwives) were made alike. With pg #1, I went with a midwife practice that I thought had my best interest, and they answered all my questions "right". But when it came to the actual birth, they completely ignored my wishes and birth plan. I had a "feeling" about them, but ignored it. From what you say, I get the same feeling about the mws at the ob office.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:27 PM

While I plan on having the most medicated birth possible :LOL I am an ardent supporter of midwives, and you'd have to kill me first before I were cared for during pregnancy by anyone other than a midwife.

As an advocate of midwives, I can tell you that these OB offices that are cropping up "with midwives on staff" are actually trying to undercut the midwife-only practices. I, personally, would not choose an OB/ midwife set up over a midwife only practice, if I had the choice, because it would feel unethical.

However, if you feel that you particular circumstances demand a different hospital than the one the midwives deliver at, you have to take that into consideration. But if any complication arises the midwives certainly have a backup OB, and could get you to the appropriate facility, couldn't they? I would ask the midwives very thoroughly what would happen if you go into labor early-- this is something they've dealt with before.

But you sound very confident you can go past 36 weeks, so maybe just trust your own instincts on this one, that you will carry beyond the dates you carried last, and stick with the midwife only practice.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:48 PM

What a tough decision. It sounds like neither group is ideal.

I wonder why the mw would even say that the goal was to have another 36 weeker. What a weird thing to say.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:41 AM

Wow...what a hard decision... I have a midwife in an OB practice, and she still hands out the formula supplements, has mentioned induction at 41 weeks, etc. So, to me she just seems like an OB that can't do a c-sec (she's really good at no episiotomies though, which is a bonus because I was cut by my last ob)

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 

User Tag List