Baby Names - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 204 Old 05-02-2005, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check this out:

http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/namequiz.html

By picking your favorite names in a list of names, it gives you your very own naming style. Mine was dead on. I liked about 90% of the names that it listed for me. I'm evenly split 30%/30% Modern Unusal and Modern Eccentric naming style.

Maybe you'll get some good ideas from here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 204 Old 05-03-2005, 10:56 AM

That's funny. I looked at that site for girls when I was thinking that I would have a girl, but forgot to check it for boys. I'm pretty split on the the categories, but my highest rating is for classic eccentric. This category includes Desmond (my ds's name), as well as Jonas and Milo (the two main ones we're considering). Not to mention Stefan, Silas, Jasper and Jude-all names that my dh shot down. Quite accurate, I would say.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#123 of 204 Old 05-03-2005, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the link. That was fun!

I got 30% Classic Unusual, 25% Classic Eccentric. Sounds appropriate.

We bought a name book & have been having fun looking through. I love learning the meanings! Am ever more drawn to Olive for a girl. Who can argue with "peace and friendship" in times like these? Hubby & I both like "Claudio Philip" for a boy (and each thought of it separately, which I think is cool) though we're still exploring other middle name choices.

And thanks for the feedback wordgirl & marieangela!
#124 of 204 Old 05-04-2005, 02:16 PM

I just wanted to chime in with our name choices -

Boy: Diesel Magnus (maybe Diesel Magnus Richard)
Girl: Saeryn Lily

~S~ Mom to W ('04) & D ('05) & in April
#125 of 204 Old 05-06-2005, 05:00 PM

I'm not sure why, but naming this one is extremely difficult!! I am the crazy confused lady over here! We like Brooklyn for a girl, and still unsure for a boy!
#126 of 204 Old 05-06-2005, 08:00 PM

Naming this one way easy for us. My DH and I both decided very shortly after our first DD was born that we both liked the name Eva. Well, over a year later when I got pregnant again we both still loved the name. Her middle name will be Ruby after her great-grandmother. Her sister's middle name is Daisy after her other great-grandmother on my side of the family. Also, my grandmother Ruby also had a sister named Eva (which we didn't know about until recently) so that makes it even more special for us.

Had this baby been a boy, he would have come home from the hospital known as "Baby Boy". LOL We absolutely cannot agree on boy names. My favorite right now it Henry but I'm not fond of the nickname Hank at all, so I'm even iffy about that one. ;-)
#127 of 204 Old 05-06-2005, 08:03 PM

Oh, and very cool name quiz! Here are my results -

Your personality type is: Classic Conservative : 50%
Your personality type is: Classic Unusual : 30%
Your personality type is: Modern Conservative : 10%
Your personality type is: Classic Eccentric : 10%
Your personality type is: Modern Eccentric. : 0%
Your personality type is: Modern Unusual : 0%

I think it is right on!
#128 of 204 Old 05-09-2005, 11:48 PM

my results...
Your personality type is: Classic Unusual : 30%
Your personality type is: Classic Eccentric : 30%
Your personality type is: Modern Eccentric. : 15%
Your personality type is: Modern Unusual : 15%
Your personality type is: Modern Conservative : 10%
Your personality type is: Classic Conservative : 0%

pretty accurate. if i'd taken the quiz 20 years ago when i was writing stories and really into unusual names and spellings, though, i'm sure there wouldn't have been a classic thing on there. funny how getting older and mellowing and family and roots becoming more important has changed what i hold to be important (i've gone from uniqueness above all to wanting to honor family members, even if the names aren't unique or are even -gasp- popular right now). that said, i do like adding a little twist to family names, hence the unusual or eccentric, i guess!

our current picks:
emilena faye, emelia faye or melia faye for a girl (after my grandma emielie --pronounced like amelia-- my mom's middle name is emily and mil's middle name is faye). for a boy dh is still stuck on anton richard (after my dad, who's richard anthony), but i'm still not sold on the anton part. i'm still favoring emmett richard, have cooled on devin richard but still toying with nevin richard as a possibility.

but it's sounding like it might be a girlie (doc's and midwife's best guess at 20-week u/s today), so we might not have to come up with a boy's name after all!

::: lori
#129 of 204 Old 05-10-2005, 01:13 AM

OK, keep the good names coming b/c we might be re-thinking our name choice. (Brecken. I still like it OK, but I originally thought it was unique and now I'm seeing it pop up more than I'd prefer.)

marie, Jonas was our front-runner before we thought of Brecken...but I'm scared that's becoming more popular too now. I love it though.

I also love Jude, but DH hated that one.

Why do I find all boy names to be too common?!

If this baby'd been a girl, she'd have been Adia. I'm not really feeling Adian for a boy though.

I did that name personality test too, and I forget what the outcome was, but it was dead on.
#130 of 204 Old 05-10-2005, 11:02 AM

Keely-I haven't looked into the popularity of Jonas too much. Still not set on it, but would prefer to have a name along the same lines as Desmond as far as popularity goes. Seems that women tend to like the name Jude better than men. I think I already mentioned that my dh shot that one down, too. I printed out the whole classic eccentric list for him and the only ones he'll consider are Milo, Jonas and Ezekial (I prefer Zeke).

Lori- I like all of your possibilities for the girl name. Hard to pick just one. I'm with you on Emmett for the boy, too, if you happen to have one.

#131 of 204 Old 05-10-2005, 04:38 PM

I took the name quiz thingie, and I guess it was pretty accurate considering how many of the name choices I didn't like at all. I was stuck picking the ones I disliked least. :LOL But here are my results:

Your personality type is: Modern Eccentric. : 25%
Your personality type is: Modern Unusual : 25%
Your personality type is: Modern Conservative : 20%
Your personality type is: Classic Conservative : 15%
Your personality type is: Classic Unusual : 10%
Your personality type is: Classic Eccentric : 5%

We still have the name Krystal in the running for a girl, but I am very not sold on it. I am going through a K phase right now, I want to try to find a nice girlie name with a "K" sound for the first letter.

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
#132 of 204 Old 05-11-2005, 09:27 AM

Goldie, Keely is cool. :LOL
#133 of 204 Old 05-11-2005, 09:45 AM

I'm not expecting (I don't think ) but my name is Tracy Lynn and I always thought it would be fun to name a son Trynn. I think it sounds sort of Irish-Gaelic. I've never turned it up on any internet searches I've done. I like the unusal name, and I don't think this one sounds too weird for being made up!

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#134 of 204 Old 05-21-2005, 01:48 AM

OK, we might have a name. Rather, we thought we had one (Brecken) and then we hated the feedback we got on it (mispronunciations, nicknames we despised, etc.) and kind of fell out of love. I think we have another prospect though, but I'd like your honest feedback:

Ciah. (pronounced Kaya)

I have no clue of it's meaning or origin, as I can't find much info on it...but I like it. Someone mentioned it recently and I realized I had a male acquaintence in college w/ that name and always loved it then...I'm surprised it escaped me 'til now.

Anyway, we both like it pretty well. DH is a little concerned that it sounds feminine, but I don't tend to strictly name along gender lines, so I couldn't care less about that. The middle name will be James, so he'd be Ciah James. We plan to strongly discourage nicknames, but if CJ evolves in the course of his life, it is at least not awful and it wouldn't make him a candidate for picking on (unlike BJ, which we realized a bit late could have been disasterous for Brecken James).

Anyhow, I'm blabbering. What do you think?
#135 of 204 Old 05-21-2005, 01:54 AM

OH, and I keep remembering names that never made my original list b/c I spaced on them. Here are more:

Girls ~ Tyler, Johnny, Reagan, Stella, Celeste

Boys ~ Ciah, Jude, Omar, Cedric (seed-rick, not said-rick)
#136 of 204 Old 05-21-2005, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebensmama
OK, we might have a name. Rather, we thought we had one (Brecken) and then we hated the feedback we got on it (mispronunciations, nicknames we despised, etc.) and kind of fell out of love. I think we have another prospect though, but I'd like your honest feedback:

Ciah. (pronounced Kaya)

I have no clue of it's meaning or origin, as I can't find much info on it...but I like it. Someone mentioned it recently and I realized I had a male acquaintence in college w/ that name and always loved it then...I'm surprised it escaped me 'til now.

Anyway, we both like it pretty well. DH is a little concerned that it sounds feminine, but I don't tend to strictly name along gender lines, so I couldn't care less about that. The middle name will be James, so he'd be Ciah James. We plan to strongly discourage nicknames, but if CJ evolves in the course of his life, it is at least not awful and it wouldn't make him a candidate for picking on (unlike BJ, which we realized a bit late could have been disasterous for Brecken James).

Anyhow, I'm blabbering. What do you think?
I love the way it sounds but the spelling is very confusing. I think most people will try to make it a soft C and say "Siah." Maybe you could use a K instead?

And how the hell do you mispronounce Brecken?

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#137 of 204 Old 05-22-2005, 12:37 AM

Quote:
And how the hell do you mispronounce Brecken?
:LOL
I know! Well, it's not something I anticipated (I think Brecken's pretty straight-forward), however more people were tending to say it as BrAcken than correctly...and I hated that way that sounded. (Especially if you consider our last name is mcIntyre.... We were getting a lot of, "Oh, braaaaaaacken, MaaaaaacIntyre!" type comments, to the point where I wanted to barf.)

My only issues w/ K are that it looks more feminine (and DH is kind of hesitating just a bit on this one b/c he's afraid it's "girlie" to begin with, and I think that spelled Kiah would get him called Kee-ah, like the cars. : (Also, DH is slightly hesitating already b/c we are Eben, Keely and Kasey...and Ciah no matter how you spell it is another K sound. To actually spell it w/ a K would make Eben stand out even further. I know, we are really anal about this stuff. : )

Ciah, I just learned, is actually the shortened form of Maciah. Now, Maciah is also out of the question b/c it's too many syllables (we're looking for 2) and begins w/ an M (don't want M's b/c our last name begins w/ M)...but at any rate, that gives me more places to go to find out the meaning of the name, b/c looking up "Ciah" has yeilded nothing.

I see what you're saying though...usually C-i words are pronounced w/ a soft C.

I dunno.... I would just really like to name him already, but the pickin's are slim for uncommon boy names. And I love love love the way this name sounds, but don't like the appearance of it as well spelled any other way. However, I don't want any of our kids to have names that are excessively confusing. Then again, the names I think are simple (Brecken...*and* Eben...who gets EEeeeeben and Evan all the time) seem to get contorted to hell and back anyway....

*sigh* Naming is so hard.
#138 of 204 Old 05-22-2005, 02:05 PM

I like Ciah but agree that the pronunciation may be a little confusing and have to be explained.

As most of you know, we refer to this baby as "moonbaby". If it's a girl, her name will be Tayen, which means "new moon". If it's a boy, dh is considering Ryu (dragon) and Thorin (can't remember what it means!) ... and now Coran, which means "crescent moon" (although possibly spelled Coren). I thought it was kind of cute that "moonbaby" will possibly have a name with moon in the meaning regardless of whether baby is male or female.

On Coran / Coren ... I've had several people comment that they thought it was girl's name (I've found Coran on MANY Celtic Irish Boy's Name lists), I guess like Corinne. What do you think? Is it too confusing as far as whether it's a boy or girl name (I should note that my boys have gorgeous looong curly hair! ).

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#139 of 204 Old 05-22-2005, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threenurslings

On Coran / Coren ... I've had several people comment that they thought it was girl's name (I've found Coran on MANY Celtic Irish Boy's Name lists), I guess like Corinne. What do you think? Is it too confusing as far as whether it's a boy or girl name (I should note that my boys have gorgeous looong curly hair! ).

You have to stress "CORE-aen" to make it clearer for people. I love the name, though - very celtic.

#140 of 204 Old 05-24-2005, 09:45 PM

We know we're having a boy.

I like Ali, Azim, or David/Dawood (after my Dad).

DH likes Abdullah or Abdul-Rahman (they mean Slave of God and Slave to the Most Merciful). Personally, I don't like either... but am not sure how much pull I'll have on this one.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#141 of 204 Old 05-26-2005, 02:14 AM

I really like Coran! I agree...really stress the first syllable to differentiate between the girl's name...but I love it. It's unique but not freaky.

umsami, I like the name Azim. I'm a huge fan of A names these days.

Which brings me to my name du jour: Atticus. Screw 2 syllables...that just narrows it down and rules out some otherwise cool names. DH hasn't commented on it yet, but I'm not thinking he'll go for it anyway. He is impossible to please. I'm getting frustrated b/c I don't have a problem w/ him disliking any of my preferences, but it'd make this whole decision easier if he would participate in coming up w/ ideas. I'm getting pretty sick of him saying no to every freaking name I come up with but offering no ideas of his own.

Ciah is out b/c we decided we don't want 3 hard C-beginning names and one E. It does look confusing spelled out too.

I know this is weird, but it's *really* bothering me that we haven't named this baby yet. I guess I feel like the only darn reason I went through all the crap I went through WRT the u/s's is b/c we wanted to find out the gender, name the baby, and start to bond. So I went through all of what turned out to be a series of scary u/s's and tons of uncertainty (none of which has resolved), and we still haven't named this kid! That was the whole point. I'm embarassed to admit that, but it's true...so I'm kind of salty about this, and definitely super-frustrated.
#142 of 204 Old 05-26-2005, 11:37 AM

I like Atticus a lot. What great associations. I also just thought of Owen. It goes well with Eben and is not out there.

I like Azim and David. If my jerk brother weren't David, I would use it. I agree with you about Abdullah. In my sister's muslim community every baby is some sort of Abdullah.

We're still on Miles Louis. We haven't discussed it in a long time so I guess we're both happy with it.

#143 of 204 Old 05-31-2005, 10:21 AM

DH and I have finally agreed on our two girl names!!!! Hey, it only took 6 1/2 months, but who cares? We have decided on Celeste Breanne or Alisse ?. Ok, so we still need to come up with a middle name for Alisse, but I thought that is where you all might be able to help. What do you all think of or choices?

#144 of 204 Old 05-31-2005, 12:38 PM

Atticus....LOVE IT!!! (My dh ruled it out, though...he thinks it's weird! )

Celeste...LOVE IT too!!!

If this babe is a boy dh is now thinking it will be Ryu Coran S_____ or Coran Ryu S_____ . Which do you like better?

I'm thinking if it's a girl, we were planning on Tayen Rainbow, but last week dd and I were on the internet and came across Amitola, which means rainbow ... so now I'm thinking Tayen Amitola S_____ . What do you think? (I haven't run it by dh yet...I wonder what he'll think!?!)

#145 of 204 Old 05-31-2005, 01:51 PM

We have a good list still, so far our choices are

Amber Dawn
Amber Lynn
Bridgette Lynn
Emily Lynn
Kimberly Lynn
Samantha Lynn
Samantha Katherine
Sarah Lynn
Sarah Renee
Sarah Ashley
Stephanie Katherine

Dh totally vetoed Autumn, which makes me sad, but he really truly didn't like it, so it wasn't fair to keep it. We've been narrowing this list down for weeks, at one point we had over 40 names. We went through a book and picked what we did like then made a list from there of "first" and "middle" names and oh man it was LONG once we paired up the names. I think it's been long enough that we'll be cutting a few more from the list this week. My next two up for veto are Kimberly and Stephanie. I still like all the names, but don't see either as our daughter....oh man, why didn't we just pick one before we found out she was a girl.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#146 of 204 Old 05-31-2005, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Keely...how 'bout Zane or Zoan? (pronounced like Owen, with a z)

Those were our boy names, but since we're having a girl, I'd be willing to share. Don't feel bad. I too am in my 7th month, and haven't named my daughter yet. I still feel like we're bonding just as much as if she had a name...don't let it get you down!
#147 of 204 Old 05-31-2005, 11:19 PM

Amanda (DoulaMommy) ... too bad dh wasn't with you on Autumn. I love the name Amber Dawn...beautiful! Which are you leaning toward?

#148 of 204 Old 06-01-2005, 09:20 AM

Ok, dh and I came to an agreement on a middle name for Alisse. It will be Alisse Valentine (though with that middle name I am leaning towards Alissa as the first name).

I also like Amber Dawn. That is just a cute name and neither one is supremely popular. I know that you will have the right name for her when she is born and that is all that matters.

#149 of 204 Old 06-02-2005, 12:46 PM

Getting back into the name thing again. Dh actually brought up a possible name the other day-Brody. Any thoughts on that? I kind of like it.

Keely- I like Atticus, but makes me think of abicus (not exactly a bad association, though)

Goldie- I like Celeste and Alisse (I'm not personally fond of Valentine for a middle name, but if you and dh agree that's great!)

Amanda (mom2threenurslings)- I like Tayen Amitola. Have you run it by dh yet? And I like Coran a lot, too.

Amanda (DoulaMommy)- Another vote for Amber Dawn!

#150 of 204 Old 06-02-2005, 02:33 PM

marie... I love Brody! It was on my list of boy names when I was pg with ds#2. This time around I don't have a say....dh and I agreed that he'd pick out the boy's name and I would pick out the girl's name.

I haven't asked dh about Tayen Amitola yet....hopefully I'll get around to it tonight unless preggo brain takes over once again!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page