Baby Names - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 204 Old 02-24-2005, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
 
curlyfry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Village Vagabond
Posts: 2,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, is everyone already thinking about names? I'd love to hear them, if you are...We have quite a few picked out, so we just have to narrow them down.

For a girl, we like: Ivy Jade, Azalea Jade, or Zinnia Jade (Jade will definitely be the middle name, as you can see...It's dh's favorite and I'm just so glad he has an opinion about this!)

For a boy, we like: River Jude, Ezekiel Aidan, or Jude Ocean

I have a ton more, but I think those are the top three for each. I can't wait to find out if we're having a boy or a girl, so I can definitely start narrowing them down.
curlyfry is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 204 Old 02-24-2005, 01:45 PM
 
melissel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh, we are really stuck. We've been talking about them, but we're having a hard time agreeing on anything. The best we could do was agree on one boy's name, but I'm not totally sure it feels right. We're thinking of Jacob Emery (the middle name is a derivation of DH's father's name), but we'd probably call him Jack. For girls' names, I like Zoe, Chloe, Abigail, Emma--names like that. But he doesn't like any of them Emma is a maybe, especially since Bella heard us talking about it and has been calling the baby Emma since then, LOL.

There's going to be a LOT more discussion over the next 6 months, I'm sure!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
melissel is offline  
#3 of 204 Old 02-24-2005, 01:47 PM
 
Goldiemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For a girl dh and I agreed that Lorelai Jadzeha/Isabelle {not sure which middle name we like best or we might go with both} and for a boy we don't hate Nathaniel Leland or Nathan Lee but we aren't over the moon for them either. Leland or Lee is definately going to be the middle name for a boy though. Family tradition.

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
Goldiemom is offline  
#4 of 204 Old 02-24-2005, 02:31 PM
 
marieangela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I remember posting about this before, but my dh tends to joke about names more than he actually discusses real possibilities. Just last night he finally came to the realization that we might actually have a girl (he's had another boy on the brain for some reason) and, of course, noted that it would be pretty tough for a girl to grow up with the name Tyrone.

That said, we are both not opposed to the name Gavin Joseph for a boy, but I would like to come up with more possibilities. I like the name Greta for a girl, but dh doesn't. I've been looking into girl names more than boys, as I'm thinking we'll have a girl. I've jotted down Saffron, Amara, Talia, Elsie, and Gaia as I've seen them come up in my searches, but haven't asked dh about them yet.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
marieangela is offline  
#5 of 204 Old 02-24-2005, 03:34 PM
 
momileigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For a girl, we're going with Sarah Elisha, and we'll call her Elisha.

(Back story on that name: My mom's name is Sara. My sister's name is Sara. Dh's mom's name is Sarah Louise, and she's always been called Louise. My best friend in elementary school was named Sarah Elisha, and she went by Elisha. And, we want a Biblical/Israeli name to match dd's name.)

For a boy, so far we've settled on Emet Jeremiah. You may have read my previous thread about choosing between Emet and Ethan and so far Emet is in the lead. It is the Hebrew word for "truth." We will probably alternate between calling him Emet and the nickname EJ, which is also dh's initials and nickname.

I think this baby is a boy. But I'll be happy either way. It would be nice to have one of each. But is there anything cuter than two little girls? The only thing I didn't want was to have all boys so it was a relief when dd came!

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
momileigh is offline  
#6 of 204 Old 02-24-2005, 03:53 PM
 
Galatea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 7,153
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
If it is a boy, he will be Griffin and we will call him Finn. Middle name Louis for my dad.

If it is a girl, she will be Rowan, though dh keeps bringing up Jane, which I don't particularly like. Middle name Mary for my aunt.

I can't believe I just told! We don't tell our names! But as long as Marie doesn't steal them, I am safe IRL.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Galatea is online now  
#7 of 204 Old 02-24-2005, 04:20 PM
 
Goldiemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh Iike the name Griffin. I don't know that I like that particular spelling, but the name is great! Don't worry, I won't steal it, as I don't think dh would like it as much as I do. Your girl name is very pretty. I am hoping that through this list dh and I might be able to come up with some names that we truly are over the moon for. Best of luck in the name department for those of us who have a hard time of it.

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
Goldiemom is offline  
#8 of 204 Old 02-24-2005, 06:24 PM
 
Galatea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 7,153
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldiemom
Oh Iike the name Griffin. I don't know that I like that particular spelling, but the name is great!

How would you spell it?

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Galatea is online now  
#9 of 204 Old 02-24-2005, 06:30 PM
 
momileigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I *would* spell it Griffin... substituting y's for i's (which is what I'm assuming Goldie is talking about) is kinda girly. And I think Finn is the cutest ever!

I vote that you cannot name a girl Jane Mary.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
momileigh is offline  
#10 of 204 Old 02-24-2005, 08:14 PM
 
Full Heart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Surronded by Dairy Farms AZ
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For a girl: Autumn Rose.

For a boy: Maybe Ian Orlando. We are still trying to find the perfect name. We want something that has a nice meaning especially for us personally.

Any ideas?

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Full Heart is offline  
#11 of 204 Old 02-24-2005, 09:09 PM
 
wenat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: oz
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've settled on Rebecca Mei Ling if it's a girl, but can't decide on a boy's name. I really like Alexander, but that's DH's cousin's name (though we've been together for 11 years and I've never met the guy -- he lives in England). The dealbreaker on Alexander is that it's one of the top 10 these days, and I just can't bring myself to give a top 10 name. On the other hand, there are so many diminutives for Alexander (Alex, Sandy, Xander, Al), that perhaps it wouldn't be a problem.

I also like Jeremy, but can't stand giving a name that is a diminutive, and the full name would be Jeremiah, which I don't like. That, and a jeremiad is: "A literary work or speech expressing a bitter lament or a righteous prophecy of doom."
wenat is offline  
#12 of 204 Old 02-24-2005, 09:17 PM
 
spsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: southern california
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we've had a girl name picked for years before even conceiving ds.

we have picked clara grace for a girl (it's a family name on both sides)

but if it's a boy, we are stuck. dh hasn't come up with any names yet, the only one i have mentioned that he kind of likes is adrian. haven't thought of a middle name yet.

we can't go naming another boy john or something like that when ds's name is satchell paige! we need unique and different.
spsmom is offline  
#13 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 12:14 AM
 
mom2threenurslings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the midst of chaos in CT
Posts: 2,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've had names picked out for a while, although we're open to change if an even more "perfect" name is discovered along the way! We also always have names ready should we have twins!

Dh is in charge of boys' names: Ryu Night (if twins Thorin _____ )

I'm in charge of girls' names: Tayen Rainbow (if twins Nym Alia)

Our kids picked out Night and Rainbow for middle names. Our 2.5 year old dd says that she has a baby in her belly and that her baby's name is Rainbow Night.

We haven't told our families the names yet, and I don't think we will (although if the kids tell, that's ok). I know they probably won't like the names, as they like "normal" names, but frankly, we don't care!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

mom2threenurslings is offline  
#14 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 12:18 AM
 
momileigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Amanda, how do you pronounce Ryu? Just curious, never seen it before!

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
momileigh is offline  
#15 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 12:41 AM
 
mom2threenurslings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the midst of chaos in CT
Posts: 2,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ryu ... (rye-you) ... Japanese for "dragon" (one of my dh's nicknames is "dragon man" for his many dragon tattoos!)

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

mom2threenurslings is offline  
#16 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 12:44 AM
 
musicmaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right now, if a boy, he will be Ryan Christopher. Ryan is my maiden name and Christopher after dh. I do have reservations about naming him such a popular name, but I think it would be cool to use my maiden name.

I need girl name suggestions though. We have no clue. I like Emma, but it is so popular right now. We really have no idea about a girl name. I like old fashioned names and also unusual names so I guess we have lots to choose from. lol Oh and I think Diane will be the middle name - after my mother.
musicmaj is offline  
#17 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 01:11 AM
 
Full Heart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Surronded by Dairy Farms AZ
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Angie - how about Adele (my dds name) or Robin or Melony...They are all older names but not really old or popular.

wenat - I have a brother named Jeremiah...we call him Miah. I don't hear it very often!

Michelle (who was gonna be Daisy Mae but my dad said no lol)

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Full Heart is offline  
#18 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 02:12 PM
 
Goldiemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea
How would you spell it?
I would spell it Griffen, I am not sure why, but I have always liked that spelling. I know it is kooky, but there ya go. With the nickname being Griff or maybe Fen, I think I don't like the Griffin spelling because if he got called Fin, that could deteriorate to Fish, and I didn't name my kid Fish. Make sense at all?

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
Goldiemom is offline  
#19 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 02:18 PM
 
momileigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, I like that spelling (Griffen) too. But I still think Finn is totally cute, and I wouldn't want that spelled Fen, and I don't like Griff. And I don't see the Fin => Fish thing happening, maybe because I've never, ever heard anyone called Fish. Meathead, Meatball, Porky, Shrimp, Bull, I've heard all those... sure, but, "Hey, Fish!" just because of a nickname Finn? Just don't see it.

Just my $.02!

PS. Amanda... thanks! That's a very interesting name. And easy to pronounce once you know how.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
momileigh is offline  
#20 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 02:23 PM
 
Goldiemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I actually know a guy who's last name is Gill and he has been called Fish since he was in like 1st or 2nd grade and he is in his 30's now. So at least here in WI it does happen, I just wouldn't want to put my dc in the position of possibly being called Fish. It would bother me.

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
Goldiemom is offline  
#21 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 02:41 PM
 
momileigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I agree with you that Fish is not an enviable nickname, but also would like to point out that there are many, many ways to get a nickname that have nothing to do with your actual name. For example, I know a guy who everyone calls Hornis because he once mispronounced the name of a baseball player that way. Also, the Meatball and Meathead that I know didn't get their nicknames from their given names either, I think they got them because of their looks or presumed mental capacity. A kid could get labeled "Fish" is he's a good swimmer, or if he eats a live fish on a dare, or if he loves fish... so any kid is possibly going to get called fish even if you name him Albert Vanderbilt.

I still don't think anyone is going to turn Finn into Fish!

Dh's sports nickname has been Franny since college because of our last name starting with Fran. This despite the fact that he already had the perfectly good nickname EJ and a very easy name, Eric, in the first place. His best friend was known as Bucket for about 10 years due to one bad haircut. Gee, I could go on and on... Honestly Gill => Fish is pretty easy for me to imagine, now that you say that.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
momileigh is offline  
#22 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 02:42 PM
 
NewYearsEve04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think we've decided on if it's a boy boy: and if it's a girl girl: I'm so excited to find out which it will be..... :

NewYearsEve04 is offline  
#23 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 03:05 PM
 
Full Heart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Surronded by Dairy Farms AZ
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My nickname is Goose, I have a brother we call Bear and another we call Buddy. Our real names are Michelle, jonathan and Jeffrey! My dad goes by Butch by family and Todd by everyone else (and his real name is Harold). Hmmm...wonder why my family even bothers with given names lol.

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Full Heart is offline  
#24 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
 
curlyfry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Village Vagabond
Posts: 2,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldiemom
I think I don't like the Griffin spelling because if he got called Fin, that could deteriorate to Fish, and I didn't name my kid Fish. Make sense at all?
:LOL

I NEVER would have thought that Finn would deteriorate to Fish! That's what one of my friends is for. I tell her all of my names, and she plays the 5-yr. old in his/her class and tries to make fun of it.

So far she hasn't thought of anything for Ivy or Azalea, so they are strong contenders. Altough, kids are pretty creative and can probably make fun of anything...
curlyfry is offline  
#25 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 05:04 PM
 
mom2threenurslings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the midst of chaos in CT
Posts: 2,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dh used to have a problem with many of the names I liked because of the potential taunting the kids might get (things that rhyme with the name, etc.). I then pointed out that our boys, ages 4.5 and 6.5 have loooong (6.5 year old's is down to his tushie!) hair and people assume they're girls. They don't have a problem with being called a girl...they think it's funny and a bit absurd that people assume people with long hair are female. He then pointed out that we won't have to worry about kids in school making fun of them, since they're homeschooled! :LOL

I love Griffin, and have a friend with a son with the same name, different spelling (Griffon). I love Finn, as well!

Fish story: I went to school with a guy who was called "Fish" because every time we had fish for school lunch, he'd go around the cafeteria and ask everyone if he could have their fish. His name was Joe.

Oh, and the first thing I associate with Finn is Huckleberry!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

mom2threenurslings is offline  
#26 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 05:55 PM
 
melissel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOL, this reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live skit that starts with a cuddly, romantic couple as they discuss names for their upcoming baby. The wife keeps offering up names and the husband (I think it was Kevin Nealon) keeps rejecting them because of the possible nicknames, and his rejections get more and more out there and bizarre. Finally, he and his wife and having a huge fight over the whole thing. I always think if that during name discussions, because the nickname things always comes up, LOL!

CurlyFry, I hate to be a downer, because I love the name Ivy, but what about Poison Ivy? (I thought of it immediately because I am so horrendously allergic to it.) Azalea's pretty too, and nothing comes to mind there Actually, there are some really cute baby nicknames I could think of for that name!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
melissel is offline  
#27 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 06:50 PM
 
Galatea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 7,153
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I thought Poison Ivy, too, but I don't give any credence to the nickname thing. Kids will make fun of each other no matter what you name them. Unless you want to name your child Buttmunch, I don't think it matters much. I like Ivy better than Azalea, though.

Evelyn we like a lot, b/c my grandma's name is Evelyn. Would you call her Eve?

We liked Finn WAAAAAAAY before stupid Julia Roberts took it. We were so pissed when we heard that she took it. I HATE her. Silly, I know.

Adele is great. I had a really awesome friend named Adele in college. She was beautiful. Go for it!

Musicmaj - Why not just use Diane? She would be totally unique, as Diane is not popular at all now. In fact, I heard of someone naming her daughters Karen and Diane, b/c they are not trendy right now, and everyone loves it. Or maybe Diana.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Galatea is online now  
#28 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
 
curlyfry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Village Vagabond
Posts: 2,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel

CurlyFry, I hate to be a downer, because I love the name Ivy, but what about Poison Ivy? (I thought of it immediately because I am so horrendously allergic to it.) Azalea's pretty too, and nothing comes to mind there Actually, there are some really cute baby nicknames I could think of for that name!
I am leaning more toward Azalea, cause I love Zala or Lea or Aza as nicknames...I actually did think of Poison Ivy, but I think Ivy is just so beautiful and natural and has kind of an old fashioned feel to it...

Thanks for the input!
curlyfry is offline  
#29 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
curlyfry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Village Vagabond
Posts: 2,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea

We liked Finn WAAAAAAAY before stupid Julia Roberts took it. We were so pissed when we heard that she took it. I HATE her. Silly, I know.

.
Yeah, but she's Phineas, so it's totally different. I do love Finn, and it reminds me of Huck Finn, which is cute!
curlyfry is offline  
#30 of 204 Old 02-25-2005, 10:17 PM
 
momileigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awwww, Lilli, it isn't really fair to Julia to hate her because you have similar taste!

Meanwhile, I am simply stewing about Gwyneth taking Apple...

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
momileigh is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off