Mothering Forum banner

Anyone doing the 3D/4D ultrasounds?

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  tsfairy 
#1 ·
If you have done these can you post your experience?

Something we're looking into :0)

Michelle

#3 ·
My OB/midwife practice doesn't have one, so if I needed one I'd have to be referred out. Hopefully I won't, though it would be cool!

If you're thinking about having one without a referral from your practice, please ask them for some recommendations and do your research. From what I've read, there are lots of unlicensed places who do them sort of recreationally and who may not use monitored, licensed equipment and so on. Odds are you probably know all this, and it would probably be safe enough for one scan, but still, this being the kind of site it is, and us being the kind of moms we are, I have to throw that caveat out there
A lot of moms won't even have the regular old-fashioned (ha!) ultrasounds or even doppler readings because their safety has never been proven conclusively. I personally am way too nosy to go that far, I cannot WAIT to find out of this kid is a boy or girl, but it's all in what you perceive. Ya know?

Melissa

#4 ·
No I think they're freaky. Besides that they have basically no diagnostic value. I did chose to have one scan around 20 weeks to check everything out and they can't check those things on a 3/4-D scan. The FDA has recommended that women not get the 3/4-D keepsake u/s or any non medically necessary u/s.

#7 ·
Ill be having it at 20 weeks at Yale New Haven where I'm seeing a perinatalogist. I'm high risk b/c of an incompetent cervix with #2, sso they have to check cervical lenght often. Not thrilled about this but it sure beats a cerclage! The cerclage involved an epidural, no thanks!, I'd rather put my feet up for 3 months anyday. My insurance will cover anything that may pervent another 100k hospital bill.

#8 ·
I was given a brochure about it by my OB, but because they are so "real looking" I feel like it spoils that first moment when you get to see this precious being you've grown inside of you for 9 months. I remember that moment w/Ross and it's something I'll never forget. So no, I'll wait!

#9 ·
I am due in August and was lurking around September. I thought I would post that I had a 3D u/s with this pregnancy last week (20 weeks). It was cool and freaky at the same time. It was neat to see the baby and his features, but unless they get a really good shot it can look distorted so be prepared for that. From the u/s I think the baby looks like DD especially around the mouth area. And he has hair.

#10 ·
I have a friend who did them and while they are amazing, I just couldn't do it. I don't even want to know the sex
I was happy enough with my regular ultrasound and shocked when ds was born, how little nose looked exactly how it did in the us picture. I wouldn't want to know exactly what my baby looks like, I want that first moment.

#11 ·
I had one done a few days ago. I see a perinatologist because my pregnancy is high-risk and she has a 3D machine in her office. It's not something I would do just for the sake of doing but it was pretty neat. At 18 weeks the pictures didn't turn out terrible well, though. Eva was facing my back so all we could really get were pictures of the back of her head. ;-)

I go back at 27 weeks for another ultrasound to check on her growth. I assume she'll look more like a baby then and less like an alien!

#12 ·
When I had my 2D done last week, the tech flipped to 3/4D for a couple of shots. I didn't even know the machine she was using was capable of that until she did it. We didn't get any stills, and on the video the image quality is much lower than the 2D part of the scan. She said it was b/c mr. bean was too far away from the wand...

I was and still am not totally completely comfortable with even the 2D, although I've now had 2 with this pregnancy (first was w/ OB to check position of the sac, and this one at 18 wks for all the routine stuff and because we just couldn't wait to find out the sex.
) The really strange thing was when she flipped the scan to 3D, I could feel a buzzing sensation from the wand. That really freaked me out thinking what that must sound/feel like to the baby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.